Jonathan David

Vince193

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Nice penalty by David but still a ridiculous penalty decision..why doesnt VAR intervene there?

It was a dive, but there was a clear jersey tug.  There was also a handball in there as well that could have been called.  Might have to ask ChatGPT how to sort that one out 😁

With that goal he matches last year's tally of 15 Ligue 1 goals with 14 games to go seems like this is the year he puts a full season together. If he gets 22 goals I'd be happy but if things go his way I think he can get 25, which has only been hit once by a non PSG player in the last 5 seasons.

15 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

With that goal he matches last year's tally of 15 Ligue 1 goals with 14 games to go seems like this is the year he puts a full season together. If he gets 22 goals I'd be happy but if things go his way I think he can get 25, which has only been hit once by a non PSG player in the last 5 seasons.

David at  top of Ligue 1 scoring with 15G 4A followed by KM with 15G 2A

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Big difference is that Yilmaz isn’t there anymore as primary PK taker

On 2/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Why would you set a wall up to cover one side of the net and then stand in the middle of the net anyway?  Isn’t the point to have the wall cover their side? 

I didn't pay much attention to the goal, and didn't notice how the keeper set up. But to play devil's advocate, at this level, in particular with a guy like Messi taking the free kick, the wall can also act as a way to at least slow down the shot to the near post. But I imagine you can't just assume that side is completely blocked off as if you are playing amateur soccer.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I didn't pay much attention to the goal, and didn't notice how the keeper set up. But to play devil's advocate, at this level, in particular with a guy like Messi taking the free kick, the wall can also act as a way to at least slow down the shot to the near post. But I imagine you can't just assume that side is completely blocked off as if you are playing amateur soccer.

It's a perfect execution with one of the PSG guys standing off the wall ducking as the ball came over head height. 

For those doubting about the wall, normally for a lefty kicker you'd set up to cover the other post, but they may have had slight doubts. In any case, I have seen Messi do free kicks from the wrong side countless times, he defies orthodox thinking on that. But admit: rarely his free kicks go low like that. There was a hint when he was taking though, which is that he did not move the ball back a 10-20 cm, as he would do if his intention was to go over the wall.

He posted a video of him drinking a red bull and doing the 👀 emoji last week and a few people thought it meant that there was a Leipzig connection, I figured that was probably too overt, but hey…

Osimhen all but confirmed he’s leaving Napoli this year, I wonder if they’d be interested in David as a replacement.

41 minutes ago, frmr said:

Fabrizio latest highlights Leipzig.

Maybe not as glamorous a club as many of us expect (especially being red bull) but not the worst move he'd get consistent Champions League appearances while facing slightly better competition in the league. Would be better than a Prem move where if he takes half a season to adjust again he'll be buried on the bench and replaced with a shiny new toy.

Exciting times for David: Lille back in the hunt for European positions, the team are actually playing exciting football, David seems to be putting together a full season (knock on wood) on his third time of asking, clubs starting to circle and he is almost certainly moving on this summer, in the hunt for the golden boot, a couple goals away from becoming Lille's top scorer in the 21st century, and after this game today a huge derby against fourth place Lens. It's all hotting up, as they say in the UK. I was reading a thread on twitter the other day about whether David is a Lille legend, and more than a few were saying he is on the cusp, but a hat trick in Lens would 100% cement his legendary status. Not sure if there is some historical relevance to that from other notable Lille strikers, but I wouldn't put it past David pulling a mad lad and going and doing it.

Parts of the past three years have been incredibly frustrating watching David at Lille, while others have been very rewarding, but in spite of it all, I will be very much enjoying watching his last few months at Lille.