Jonathan David

Vince193

14 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

David coming off the wing is where it's at. No need to play with your back to goal. Just drift in and find the pockets where he's dangerous. As much as Tajon should be a starter, i have no hate with David on one side, Davies on the other and we play a standard 4-3-3. 

If we were going to do that I'd rather play 4-2-3-1 with David in the number ten role. He can pull the strings and we can still get our dangerous wide players on.

Watched most of this game. David was most dangerous and useful when he was more central--and therefore more involved in the play. Smart player indeed. His movement off the ball, followed by the perfectly weighted pass for the goal, is evidence of this. Appears Fonseca is determined to make Lille a passing team, which I think bodes well for David this year. 

The most expensive and sought after players are strikers, generally speaking. Goals win games and strikers require a premium in the transfer market. Lille know this and valued their asset (David) accordingly. The problem is that most of the teams who can meet that valuation already have strikers who are more valuable than David is. In a prior post I made a list of the clubs who've been linked to him and their current no. 9 situation. In most of the cases there didn't seem to be a straight forward path to the starting line up, and most clubs aren't going to be paying 50M euros for a backup striker. 

However, I just wonder if showing off his playmaking will open up the market for him? A well-rounded attacking player who can pull the strings and finish off plays should be more attractive than a player who can only do one or the other, know what I mean?

Doing it at Lille is a bigger deal than doing it at Gent, so if he can keep up the trend we may see a fresh flurry of transfer rumours as the next window approaches. Maybe a few different clubs will join the fray and eye David for a slightly different role than what we've been accostomed to, which has been eyeing him to replace a departing no. 9.

It's as if all the magic surrounding United in the 90s and 2000s, with all luck and the Fergie time and such, it's as if all that inertia has completely reversed since he left in 2013. What goes up must come down, I guess.

Either way, stay far away JD.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's as if all the magic surrounding United in the 90s and 2000s, with all luck and the Fergie time and such, it's as if all that inertia has completely reversed since he left in 2013. What goes up must come down, I guess.

Either way, stay far away JD.

Manchester United are basically the Premier League Montreal Canadiens.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:38 PM, Stryker911 said:

It's crazy how he actually didn't have any assists last year and already 2 this season. Even the year prior he only ended up with 2 assists.

He still had expected assists of 3.2 last season. It’s just that Yilmaz fell off a cliff and no one else could finish.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, Craig11rm said:

I would personally compare Man U to Detroit. From 1990-2016 they only missed the playoffs like 3 times and won several Stanley cups but now they have missed the playoffs 6 years in a row.

Except us Red Wings fans are pretty self-aware of how bad our team is currently. Leafs and Man U fans are alike in terms of the championship expectations, when in reality they have good rosters on paper but fall flat when it matters.

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Except us Red Wings fans are pretty self-aware of how bad our team is currently. Leafs and Man U fans are alike in terms of the championship expectations, when in reality they have good rosters on paper but fall flat when it matters.

Memes aside, the Leafs roster is good enough to win a championship and they do extremely well in the regular season. They should be expected to compete as currently constructed, and are, in reality, a tweak or two away from actually doing so.

If there were several trophies on offer per season in the NHL like in soccer, the Leafs likely would've scooped up one or two over the past few years.

Man United's nowhere near that level at the moment.