Ottawa CPL Club

Just now, Keegan said:

...CONCACAF is the culprit and a minor league US soccer team isn’t going to make a dent...

Just like some Belgian dude nobody had ever heard of from Liege wasn't going to be able to do anything about the sport's transfer system? Time will tell whether it gets as far as law courts now it's all out in the open. Allowing a team in Ottawa to be grandfathered in while all others in future have to go to CanPL would probably have been viewed as relatively painless for CONCACAF if Victor Montagliani wasn't involved.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's similar to what happened in Hamilton. The city wanted to attract other teams (soccer) to the stadium because there was no soccer being played there. Tigers Cats had the same type of deal as OSEG on soccer operations. The CSA had to step in and declare that no team would be sanctioned except Forge.

That's where my assumption is coming from. If the Fury doesn't play at TD place, it frees up dates which the city who owns the stadium and collect rent will want to fill. 

This is an opportunity for CPL to pick an owner, award them a team and play at TD Place unless OSEG drop their legal fight and get in rank. This move effectively leaves the Fury with no where to play and if CPL doesn't take them in for 2019, then expect possibility that the league will pick someone else while provoking a void on OSEG clause on soccer operations at TD.

Cold move... but I kept saying it over and over... CPL ownership are businesse people who didn't became rich by being "nice". MLS wouldn't have done anything less than this

So you don’t know any of the particulars and are just making assumptions and speculating.

The city owns the stadium but OSEG operates it and collects the rent. The scenario you’ve painted would require OSEGs exclusivity of soccer at TD Place to be voided and then a new CPL owner secure an agreement to play in the stadium while it still being operated by OSEG. The city does not have the capacity to run game day ops for another team and I’m sure there would be further complications with whatever agreement is in place with Levy. 

17 minutes ago, Rattler280 said:

I care about as much about Victoria or York as I do Charlston.

Thats actually a good answer because you dont care about Charlston and one of the reasons for the CPL is that its time for you to care about places like Victoria and York. 

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...but is still subject to the legal systems of its member associations as is FIFA.

When it comes to governance of member associations and their registered clubs, dispute resolution must be done through FIFA's own Tribunals if they want to remain sanctioned by FIFA. 

7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

When it comes to governance of member associations and their registered clubs, dispute resolution must be done through FIFA's own Tribunals if they want to remain sanctioned by FIFA. 

...but players, clubs and leagues frequently do go to the courts and have been able to get football association decisions overturned. In the not too distant past the CSA had to follow a court decision related to the CSL's desanctioning for example that allowed the CSL an extra year of sanctioning. If the court had fully sided with the CSL in its judgement there would have been nothing the CSA could have done about it other than to comply.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

This article is very confusing

https://www.timescolonist.com/real-estate/ottawa-fury-fc-says-concacaf-is-seeking-to-bar-it-from-playing-in-usl-1.23533293

"As I understand it, and we didn't see the letter from CONCACAF, CONCACAF was pointing to the new Canadian Premier League as a viable alternative for the Fury to play professional soccer in Ottawa," Goudie said in an interview.

While the CSA would no doubt like to have the CPL as the sole league, it had already approved the Fury's participation in the USL in 2019. But other governing bodies are involved.

CSA president Steven Reed said his organization is going through its normal procedure, awaiting approval from the U.S. Soccer Federation — which oversees the USL — for its OK for the Fury and other Canadian teams, like PDL clubs, to play in the U.S.

While Goudie said the U.S. Soccer approval on the Fury came Wednesday, Reed said the CSA has yet to get official word of the U.S. green light.

Once that comes, the normal Canada Soccer process would be to go to CONCACAF for its approval. But CONCACAF, seemingly willing to play the heavy, has pre-empted that step.

"We're surprised because we followed the process," Reed said in an interview, acknowledging the CONCACAF letter was "premature" given the consultation is ongoing.

Reed said once Canada Soccer hears the U.S. counterpart has sanctioned the Fury's participation, it would consult with CONCACAF.

But that seems like Canada Soccer waiting to ask someone out for date, already knowing that her father won't allow it.

4 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Which means they have to follow their own rules/laws. And if they don’t they open themselves up. Again I’ll ask the question, how do you know CONCACAF followed their own rules/laws?  

The rule is and has always been that clubs have to play in leagues within their own country / FIFA member association. 

The Fury were always operating under an exception to the rule.  

CONCACAF has decided the exceptional circumstances no longer exist and the "rule" is back in place.  

I don't know what you mean by opening themselves up.  The Fury has the decision in writing via the CSA and they can make that public if they want to.  It is now up to the club to take the case to the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber if they disagree with CONCACAF's decision.

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Thats actually a good answer because you dont care about Charlston and one of the reasons for the CPL is that its time for you to care about places like Victoria and York. 

I'm never going to care about Victoria or York, I have as much connection to those cities as I do Charlston. Toronto or Montreal? Now your talking, but I'm always going to car more about Pittsburgh or Tampa than friggin York lol

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

The rule is and has always been that clubs have to play in leagues within their own country / FIFA member association. 

The Fury were always operating under an exception to the rule.  

CONCACAF has decided the exceptional circumstances no longer exist and the "rule" is back in place.  

I don't know what you mean by opening themselves up.  The Fury has the decision in writing via the CSA and they can make that public if they want to.  It is now up to the club to take the case to the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber if they disagree with CONCACAF's decision.

Listen to the TSN1200 segment discussing this. 

4 minutes ago, Rattler280 said:

I'm never going to care about Victoria or York, I have as much connection to those cities as I do Charlston. Toronto or Montreal? Now your talking, but I'm always going to car more about Pittsburgh or Tampa than friggin York lol

Probably for the best you just leave the forum and never come back then

37 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

You sure CONCACAF followed the rules?  

Yes. It’s just confusing why Ottawa thought it was a good idea to bully the CSA/CPL. 

Theyre in the wrong and living on borrowed time.. it’s like borrowing your brothers car, insulting him and then getting all pissy when your parents take it back.  It was NEVER your car, you were lucky to have it and now you’ve been a prick to the person who gave it to you.

Childish attitudes from Ottawa.

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Rattler280 said:

I know it's just mind boggling that I'd rather watch my team play Pittsburgh than York.

Frankly, yes.  You would rather play teams in a 2nd division US soccer league than be part of arguably the most exciting pro footy development in this country.  To people on a Canadian soccer supporters' site, that is a bit puzzling.

3 hours ago, Initial B said:

I woke up this morning and had no clue this was happenening until I heard about it as the lead sports item on the local radio on my drive to work. This is big news here.

I am beyond furious that Montagliani would be such a dick and chose this ham-fisted approach to dealing with Ottawa. This strikes me as the petty reaction of a butt-hurt suitor who commits violence on the potential date who turned him down for the Prom. I thought he was better than that. Do you really think that the CPL can't survive two seasons without the Fury!? NOBODY likes being told what to do, especially when it isn't fair. You can't do this to the Fury and not to the other Canadian clubs that don't play in the CPL. You can bet that the MLS clubs will be giving under the table support to the Fury as they try to legally fight this, as the precedent is sets is staggering.

That said, I do want the Fury to join CPL eventually, and I feel they have a plan to do so, as soon as they get paid their portion of the upcoming expansion fees from the new USL clubs. Monty is screwing with their business and may end up costing Canadian Soccer in the long run.

And for those of you who are crowing about the Fury "getting theirs", we Ottawa fans would NEVER do that to any of your clubs. You should be ashamed of yourselves. :angry:

Who says they get any expansion fees? Has this been confirmed? USL expansion fees used to go to the owners of the league only, Nurock or Nike or whoever it was. 

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yes. It’s just confusing why Ottawa thought it was a good idea to bully the CSA/CPL. 

Theyre in the wrong and living on borrowed time.. it’s like borrowing your brothers car, insulting him and then getting all pissy when your parents take it back.  It was NEVER your car, you were lucky to have it and now you’ve been a prick to the person who gave it to you.

Childish attitudes from Ottawa.

I really think you have no idea what you are talking about. Let it play out and see. 

The ridiculous rhetoric coming from Fury fans on FB and Twitter is insane. It seems that regardless of what’s happened and who’s to blame the only concern is the future of the Fury, not Canadian soccer in general. I’m a soccer fan and I live in Ottawa, I was a Fury fan and still hope they exist in some capacity but the negative vitriol being spouted by so many is unfathomable to me.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...but players, clubs and leagues frequently do go to the courts and have been able to get football association decisions overturned. In the not too distant past the CSA had to follow a court decision related to the CSL's desanctioning for example that allowed the CSL an extra year of sanctioning. If the court had fully sided with the CSL in its judgement there would have been nothing the CSA could have done about it other than to comply.

No the CSL was barred by FIFA from taking the case to the general court system and the parties agreed to allow the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada to deal with the case as a compromise.

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

Why should the CPL even care what fans from a team in another league thinks?

Why do I get up in the morning and take a piss?  Because I have to.  Because it will hurt if I don't. CONCACAF is not making this decision just to kill a team.  This does matter to CanPL.