Ottawa CPL Club

3 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Because now, all the fans in Ottawa hate the CPL for killing their team... Go read the twitter pages of Ottawa fans. I honestly think the CPL should step in a show their support for the Fury in this. The Fury may not be playing in the CPL, but that may be the only way they might in the future.

Shows how in the know Ottawa fans are if they think the CPL killed their team. 

1 minute ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Because now, all the fans in Ottawa hate the CPL for killing their team... Go read the twitter pages of Ottawa fans. I honestly think the CPL should step in a show their support for the Fury in this. The Fury may not be playing in the CPL, but that may be the only way they might in the future.

I think that in no more than 2 years time, Ottawa will have a team in CPL with at least as much support as the Fury had last season.  I don't think the knee-jerk reactions of fans less than 24 hrs of this sort of news is an accurate barometer of what will happen.  If the Fury join CPL, their club will still be there for them - and they get to absolutely hate the other teams.  If the Fury don't join and fold, another CPL team will exist in that space.  And if it is exciting, local pro soccer, I think  the support will be there.

2 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Boo hoo for two reasons: 

1) CPL/CSA didn’t make the call

2) You be essentially giving up following football because you don’t like FIFA

It’s that simple. CPL doesn’t have to do anything - in fact, at this point Ottawa should be crawling to them.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think that in no more than 2 years time, Ottawa will have a team in CPL with at least as much support as the Fury had last season.  I don't think the knee-jerk reactions of fans less than 24 hrs of this sort of news is an accurate barometer of what will happen.  If the Fury join CPL, their club will still be there for them - and they get to absolutely hate the other teams.  If the Fury don't join and fold, another CPL team will exist in that space.  And if it is exciting, local pro soccer, I think  the support will be there.

I disagree.. 

I think Ottawa will have MORE fans and be a much bigger club if they move to CPL from the jump.  Look at the other clubs, the hype and fan bases they’re building - Ottawa Fury is boring as hell in comparison. 

Ottawa never started out a culture from the ground up the way CPL clubs have.  They could actually learn a thing or two - they truly are just another “meh” US minor league team.

Edited by Keegan

3 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Why should the CPL even care what fans from a team in another league thinks?

You need fans to have a team. No fans, no team. If the soccer fans  in Ottawa won't support a cpl team after this, then we won't  get a cpl team there. As well, I Inderstand what supporting a lone team is like. I have been an FC Edmonton fan for a long time. If this had happened to Edmonton, I would be furious. Ottawa has been huge in bringing popularity back to soccer. The CPL needed front runners like Edmonton and Ottawa to launch. Then to just cast them aside right from the start? They may not see eye to eye, but both are supporting Canadian soccer.

3 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

You need fans to have a team. No fans, no team. If the soccer fans  in Ottawa won't support a cpl team after this, then we won't  get a cpl team there. As well, I Inderstand what supporting a lone team is like. I have been an FC Edmonton fan for a long time. If this had happened to Edmonton, I would be furious. Ottawa has been huge in bringing popularity back to soccer. The CPL needed front runners like Edmonton and Ottawa to launch. Then to just cast them aside right from the start? They may not see eye to eye, but both are supporting Canadian soccer.

I think you are confusing who was cast aside and by whom in this situation.

1 minute ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It's reasonable to say that

1. The Fury haven't maxed out on potential fans. They aren't being watched on TV, aren't selling out and attendance have dropped.

2.CPL stand a much greater chance at attracting casuals that the Fury never could. There's way more Casuals and curious/not fans than Fury fans... let's be honest here

The last thing I will say on this topic for at least 4 or 6 minutes is that people annoyed at the decision can't lose sight of the big picture.  Less than 2 years ago, we had Canadian teams playing in 3 different US leagues.  The big 3 in MLS, Fury in USL, and FCEd in NASL.  With that kind of landscape, and permitting teams to opt into what are essentially foreign leagues, CanPL was always going to have an uphill battle.   The fortuitous (for us) folding of NASL opened the door for FCEd to join, but if that hadn't happened, our "national domestic league" would have been utterly handicapped in getting off the ground.  And that kind of team prerogative to play wherever they chose (including in foreign leagues) was something that Ottawa very much wanted to preserve.  The statement yesterday by Goudie noted that "In the event that CONCACAF does not immediately reconsider its position, Fury FC will take all steps — including legal proceedings — so as to ensure that it will be able to continue providing soccer to our loyal and new fans and supporters in a league of our choosing.” 

That isn't some off the cuff remark, it is carefully drafted statement he was reading.  That means that Ottawa clearly believes that it gets to decide where it plays, not the governing bodies (whether CSA, CONCACAF, or FIFA).  If that is the sort of thing that was communicated to the various officials as this discussion evolved, it isn't surprising that the response was a bit heavy handed.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

...If that is the sort of thing that was communicated to the various officials as this discussion evolved, it isn't surprising that the response was a bit heavy handed.

The CSA didn't have to give them sanctioning to get into the USL two years ago. That was the strangest decision in all of this, because winding that back later was always likely to end up in court, if Ottawa wanted to stay where they are.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The CSA didn't have to give them sanctioning to get into the USL two years ago. That was the strangest decision in all of this, because winding that back later was always likely to end up in court, if Ottawa wanted to stay where they are.

If the choice is no pro footy in Ottawa or allow pro footy via USL, I don't find it strange at all.

But that is no longer the choice.

I just spoke to a few work colleagues who follow soccer in this city.  I know they are not in the majority but the venom they have for CONCACAF (and by extension, the CPL) is shocking and awful.  I think it will die down eventually but I can't say some of that didn't rub off on me last night as I was going to bed.  I love the CPL and definitely want it to succeed - I'm just questioning the wisdom of the tactic. Maybe it'll get an Ottawa team (Fury or otherwise) into the CPL for 2020 but I think it is too late for 2019.  

I'll also make the prediction that if the MLS sides were ever forced to join the CPL in the near future, intensify that anger fifty fold.    

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Fans in Ottawa would be less excited to play Hamilton or Halifax? Instead  they're like we just need to settle the score with those bastards from Charlston.. im thinking this cant be true and people not know what theyre saying

I think it's more of the CONCACAF can't tell us what to do crowd.  And I'm not for revenge against Charleston, it's those bastards from Pittsburgh that I'd be after.

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Fans in Ottawa would be less excited to play Hamilton or Halifax? Instead  they're like we just need to settle the score with those bastards from Charlston.. im thinking this cant be true and people not know what theyre saying

I care about as much about Victoria or York as I do Charlston.

23 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It amazes me to see how posters here feel like the Fury are to blame here. In the end this will come back hard on CONCACAF and the CSA. 

Damn CONCACAF, following the laws.  This will certainly NOT hurt the CSA or CONCACAF whatsoever. 

CONCACAF is the culprit and a minor league US soccer team isn’t going to make a dent.

I know a way they could make it work legally and we could save the Fury.. but it involves a relocation to Buffalo. 

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think it's more of the CONCACAF can't tell us what to do crowd.  And I'm not for revenge against Charleston, it's those bastards from Pittsburgh that I'd be after.

It’s just a silly “we were here first” attitude and therefore we are going to do something unique and we deserve special treatment because we feel special.

Ottawa fans: “canPL is a death sentence”

meanwhile, CPL teams are on pace to outdraw them with lower costs.  It’s simple, join CPL or we will find an ownership group for Ottawa and unsanction you.

This move is also powerful because it basically tells MLS to back off or they’ll be next.  I truly believe this will make MLS tread carefully in Canada instead of taking a openly hostile approach.

Edited by Keegan

You know, I think I would be okay with this move, so long as OSEG sues CONCACAF for loss of revenues by forcing the move. I have no doubt they would win the case because courts look at economic effects and loses to a company due to being forced to make a move they did not have to take. It wouldn't hurt anybody but CONCACAF. CPL would be happy because Ottawa is in, Ottawa would be happy because they would get the expected revenues they were expecting from being in USL.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Damn CONCACAF, following the laws.  This will certainly NOT hurt the CSA or CONCACAF whatsoever. 

CONCACAF is the culprit and a minor league US soccer team isn’t going to make a dent.

I know a way they could make it work legally and we could save the Fury.. but it involves a relocation to Buffalo. 

You sure CONCACAF followed the rules?