CPL General

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was also told that individual game tickets will go on sale in "early April" so checked into the Wanderers site this morning.  Nothing yet...

April 2nd is the date you're looking for

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was also told that individual game tickets will go on sale in "early April" so checked into the Wanderers site this morning.  Nothing yet...

It's tomorrow.

Pre-sales have been happening for a couple of weeks now.

Excitement and momentum is really building up for the CPL! 

April 2nd: Single game tickets for all matches on sale

April 4: Kit reveal, for all 7 clubs (Home and Away) as well as league wide event in Toronto

April 6: All players and coaches head to the Dominican Republic for pre season

Media Pro ceo for Canada Oscar Lopez said in an interview that their close to announcing something soon, and has said multiple times they're will be a soccer channel + liscensing the broadcasts through a TV channel like CBC etc

Rumours that the CSB isn't done yet, negotiating a potential airline carrier!

What a time for fans 

I doubt it matters much to a lot of the folks on here, but single tickets are now available.  So if you are heading to another market or if you have friends and family visiting and you want to take them to a game, grab em!

FWIW, when I bought Wanderers tickets for May 4th,  it didn't look like there were many available...

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Fantastic for the pathway to CPL and a model to follow by other provinces

Yes and no...

I'd rather it was an independent L2O than an L1O Reserve. The restrictions require L1O Reserve squads to have an OPDL or L1O license. It also says that L1O Reserve squads will be mandatory for L1O teams.

This will create some pretty nasty barriers to entry for places without either, like, say, Greater Sudbury.

This move now means if someone with coin and ambition in Sudbury wanted to launch an L1O team (Dario Zulich), they now need to be prepared to launch 2-sides: L1O & L1O Reserve. That's probably a tall ask...

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Another reason why it was a good choice for CPL to not copy MLS who what's to ripe off the "United", "Real" and most recently, "Inter".

Inter Miami, Inter Milan in legal battle over ‘Inter’ trademark

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mls/article228737554.html

United and Real aren't the same as Inter legally but yea just using FC is safe. Still boring. Wish they'd been a little spicy with the names

It was almost Toronto on being Inter. Don't think Inter Milan will win this one. There is also an Inter Bratislava, who have fallen by the wayside a bit, but used to be quite high profile, and there is a famous Internacional in Brazil, who have a big local derby with Gremio, so how can a Milan club claim exclusivity on this? That's something a few of the CanPL teams can justifiably claim in naming terms, but I guess CanPL is going through its Wiz and Burn phase at the moment.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I'm glad we didnt go with the entirely redundant generic FC names that the recent MLS expansion teams went for.  And I still like the MLS names that survive, the Crew, FIre, Quakes, Dynamo, Whitecaps, TImbers, Sounders etc.  The Inters, united and sportings over here could disappear and I wouldnt shed a tear, why fight for a name like that??  

1 hour ago, matty said:

United and Real aren't the same as Inter legally but yea just using FC is safe. Still boring. Wish they'd been a little spicy with the names

Isn't it just a short form of Internazionale which would be the same?

44 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm glad we didnt go with the entirely redundant generic FC names that the recent MLS expansion teams went for.  And I still like the MLS names that survive, the Crew, FIre, Quakes, Dynamo, Whitecaps, TImbers, Sounders etc.  The Inters, united and sportings over here could disappear and I wouldnt shed a tear, why fight for a name like that??  

pacific fc is pretty generic sounding, could makes the case wanderers is hella generic but there's history there, cavalry fc got lucky that usl team didn't happen. but yea thank god we don't have 5 united fcs lol

1 minute ago, ted said:

Isn't it just a short form of Internazionale which would be the same?

yea but when your full name is "Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami" it's pretty clear there is one club you're ripping off

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Miami should be fine but you can't help but roll your eyes at the lack of originality and identity in that league.

You sound like a butt hurt child every time you speak about the league... Who cares? There are a shit ton of United's in England I don't see you complaining about it.

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Miami should be fine but you can't help but roll your eyes at the lack of originality and identity in that league.

they likely will be but mls did get punished for trying to be original in the 90s. everyone hated the radical 90sness of names like kansas city wiz and dallas burn and hated the branding for the la galaxy, it seems to have caused mls to aggressively play it safe since. it is kind of a shame cause some of those early names and branding (colorado rapids, new england revolution, dc united) are pretty solid and some of the best in north american sports (maybe the best between the 2 leagues). i would say houston dynamo and philidelphia union are the best original teams names since and both are pretty darn solid names.

while the uniteds and fcs lack originality, they do have identities o i don't think it's fair to shit on their identities.

cpl i don't see as that much more original, giving the cookie cutter naming pallet many teams took. but i'm pleased they are more reflective of their cities than a lot of recent mls teams.

Edited by matty

I remember on here maybe 300 pages ago that people didn't like the CPL team names chosen neither.  

Ooh York 9 FC ?   Aren't there eleven on a team?  They have to have Toronto in their name etc.  

Every team choosing a name had it's detractors...now with two days to go those same people are lining up for kits!  

1 minute ago, Rocket Robin said:

I remember on here maybe 300 pages ago that people didn't like the CPL team names chosen neither.  

Ooh York 9 FC ?   Aren't there eleven on a team?  They have to have Toronto in their name etc.  

Every team choosing a name had it's detractors...now with two days to go those same people are lining up for kits!  

did people say they had to have toronto in their name? i remember predicting they would with like 99% certainty and then being like well i was wrong but i don't remember anyone saying this team will fail without toronto. that said everyone did hate the name and logo, i still hate it cause it reminds me of early 2000s pop punk lol.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

did people say they had to have toronto in their name? i remember predicting they would with like 99% certainty and then being like well i was wrong but i don't remember anyone saying this team will fail without toronto. that said everyone did hate the name and logo, i still hate it cause it reminds me of early 2000s pop punk lol.

Well Sum 41 were from Whitby.   Serial Joe were from Newmarket which is one the 9 York counties.