CPL General

7 hours ago, C2SKI said:

This is going to seem knit-picky, but he doesn't limit it to renewals after year one....

The context was a question along the lines of what was the one thing you would hope for at the end of year one. Beyond that he didn't sound like somebody who was contemplating failure. It was basically just a case of stating the obvious about what would provide the basis for strong future growth. Surprised nobody has mentioned some of the other things he talked about. The discussion of expansion {42:30 onwards} is worth a listen. The "regions of intensification" in southern Ontario and lower mainland BC part with target markets such as Windsor, London, Niagara region, K/W, probably Mississauga and maybe Brampton, Barrie and Durham specifically mentioned sounded good to me in terms of a vision of where they want to take things. Hope it works.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

...and people here wonder why the Voyageurs have trouble retaining members. 

You bolded the wrong part of my quote.

Funny story, today I entered Junior Kingue’s contest on Instagram (see his Instagram story). I ended up winning and he’s sending me cleats! Anyways I just find his situation funny because he’s very present on social media. I was hoping to talk to him while playing and ask him questions.. unfortunately he didn’t have his microphone on!

53 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Looks like Emery Welshmen might be the first CanPL player to qualify for the Gold Cup with a goal for Guyana. Anyone else I am missing? Shame Springer didn't get through with St. Kitts.

somewhat surprised, i thought guyana had the stiffer competition for a spot against belize than st kitts faced in suriname.

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Looks like Emery Welshmen might be the first CanPL player to qualify for the Gold Cup with a goal for Guyana. Anyone else I am missing? Shame Springer didn't get through with St. Kitts.

Is he also the first player to score an international goal while under contract in CPL?

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Well there are some T&T players on Wanderers. I don't know if they those players are still actively getting called or not, but T&T qualified automatically to the Gold Cup by being one of the 6 hex teams.

This might not be what you meant though.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Well there are some T&T players on Wanderers. I don't know if they those players are still actively getting called or not, but T&T qualified automatically to the Gold Cup by being one of the 6 hex teams.

This might not be what you meant though.

I think the problem is none of the HFX players have had caps for T and T for 6-7 years. So I don't think they'd count unless they are regular starters. 

(I was wrong! Jan-Michael Williams played in the world cup qualifiers!)

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

38 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I think the problem is none of the HFX players have had caps for T and T for 6-7 years. So I don't think they'd count unless they are regular starters. 

That statement isn't true at all; Akeem Garcia made his only appearance for T&T so far in 2015 and Jan-Michael Williams made his last appearance in 2017 and has made around 25 appearances in the last 6 years.

Williams and John might not get call-ups because of their age, but if Garcia and Rampersad impress this season, they're easily young enough for a call-up.

9 minutes ago, Zem said:

That statement isn't true at all; Akeem Garcia made his only appearance for T&T so far in 2015 and Jan-Michael Williams made his last appearance in 2017 and has made around 25 appearances in the last 6 years.

Williams and John might not get call-ups because of their age, but if Garcia and Rampersad impress this season, they're easily young enough for a call-up.

I stand corrected! While 2017 feels like a long time ago, I guess Jan-Michael Williams did start in two games in the fourth round, including against US. He contributed to them getting to the hex (and qualifying for the Gold Cup). So then, technically, Jan-Michael Williams it the first CanPL player to qualify!

I guess we will see if any of them end up in the gold cup squad! 

16 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Apparently this commercial ran during halftime of the CMNT game:

https://canpl.ca/video/watch-cpl-spot-debuts-during-nations-league-broadcast

Yup, I saw it. They also spoke about the league. I think it was great advertising. 

That ad is well done, for every team you see the logo and colours, an image of where they are from, field, stadium and/or players in training, and a fan sequence. 

For all our talk about MediaPro, overall the CPL has a good set of logos, well distributed colours that so far are fairly clear to differentiate, and handles the video work well, across the board. So our designed image in AV format is IMHO good to very good. 

CPL teams (well York 9 is for sure) leaving for 10 days in Dominican Republic on Friday April 5th.  York 9 will play three games.  None of the CPL teams will play each other during that time.  Learned all this at the Pub Night in Brampton.  I should have a post link up on the York 9 sub board tomorrow night (or Wednesday at the latest) all going well.  

10 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

CPL teams (well York 9 is for sure) leaving for 10 days in Dominican Republic on Friday April 5th.  York 9 will play three games.  None of the CPL teams will play each other during that time.  Learned all this at the Pub Night in Brampton.  I should have a post link up on the York 9 sub board tomorrow night (or Wednesday at the latest) all going well.  

This is great news. I hope we get a proper friendly and not just shinny (sorry for using the hockey term, the soccer one is eluding me atm)

Edited by matty

25 minutes ago, matty said:

This is great news. I hope we get a proper friendly and not just shinny (sorry for using the hockey term, the soccer one is eluding me atm)

"scrimmage".

11 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I believe all 7 CPL teams will be in Toronto for the jersey unveiling on April 4, so they will likely all travel together on April 5.