CPL General

12 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Well Sum 41 were from Whitby.   Serial Joe were from Newmarket which is one the 9 York counties.  

York 9
Sum 41
Blink 182
Eve 6
Link 80
Plus 44
Catch 22

it happened with other genres too (nu metal and edm have a lot of number name bands) but it really stood out in early oughts punk to the point sum 41 referenced it in a video mocking all the "the_____" bands. york 9 should book serial joe for a game as a joke. have them change their name to serial joe 9

also controversial music opinion: nu metal is a better, more influential, more interesting genre than pop punk (excluding green day and acknowledging that emo developed separately from pop punk)

Edited by matty

3 minutes ago, matty said:

it happened with other genres too (nu metal and edm have a lot of number name bands) but it really stood out in early oughts punk to the point sum 41 referenced it in a video mocking all the "the_____" bands

Yeah I saw that for the first time in years when they sang 'Still Waiting' and record executive played by Will Sasso convinced them number bands were out and they should be 'The Sums'.  Sasso would now probably support Pacific FC as he is a BC boy. 

1 minute ago, Rocket Robin said:

Yeah I saw that for the first time in years when they sang 'Still Waiting' and record executive played by Will Sasso convinced them number bands were out and they should be 'The Sums'.  Sasso would now probably support Pacific FC as he is a BC boy. 

man sum 41 was such a fun band for like 2 years and then they made chuck.

53 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

And they won't even be playing in the city of Miami for the first years, if ever.

i mean the same is true of york 9. it isn't a 45 mintue drive but they're still not in york region

Edited by matty

On 4/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, Rintaran said:

This move now means if someone with coin and ambition in Sudbury wanted to launch an L1O team (Dario Zulich), they now need to be prepared to launch 2-sides: L1O & L1O Reserve. 

True, but Sudbury could have a L10 Reserve team as long as they have an OPDL license. Barrie's in the same boat. Perhaps this is the organic way of growth for the smaller cities: a well-run local club gets an OPDL license (or some equivalent in other provinces); establishes a L10 Reserve team; adds a L10 team; through some sort of promotion gets to CPL2; then, maybe even promotion to CPL1. One can dream.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:10 PM, Rintaran said:

This move now means if someone with coin and ambition in Sudbury wanted to launch an L1O team (Dario Zulich), they now need to be prepared to launch 2-sides: L1O & L1O Reserve. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I haven't been in 40 years--but I was under the impression that the one thing Sudbury does have is COIN !

35 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

T-Minus 40 minutes until the big event! 

Below is the stream link for everyone to see, so no one misses a thing live as it happens, unless you're in person at a kit reveal party 

https://canpl.ca/article/kit-reveal-stream

Looking forward to this!

Thanks for this - CanPL telling us to tune in, but not telling us where is typical.

Duane R. was probably hoping to be one of the Canadians in the by part on this. If control has been signed over as appeared to be suggested when the deal was announced, Mediapro can probably do what they like at this point on stuff like that and a lot will depend on how easy they find it to attract sponsors and subscribers for the app channel. If revenues are an uphill struggle, costs will no doubt be cut back to the bare bones.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

43 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Outside of the nationalistic angle I'm okay with this. It's becoming more and more the norm in pro sports with major networks like ESPN doing it regularly. Even if it's non-Canadians doing the broadcast it's somewhat excusable because the production rights are no longer controlled by the league. 

I know it's early, but does anyone know if the CPL plans to give the winning club/finalists prize money? Even something like 100k would be a decent boost for a new club, and would help towards creating some separation in the league. I'm not one for parity, I would like to see 1 or 2 clubs established as big clubs in the Canadian game, and rewarding winning clubs is a easy way to help that along. 

6 minutes ago, KW519 said:

I know it's early, but does anyone know if the CPL plans to give the winning club/finalists prize money? Even something like 100k would be a decent boost for a new club, and would help towards creating some separation in the league. I'm not one for parity, I would like to see 1 or 2 clubs established as big clubs in the Canadian game, and rewarding winning clubs is a easy way to help that along. 

To my knowledge nothing like this has been identified. I personally am also all for it, although as long as there is a salary cap it'd be hard to use that for anything other than training or operations so it would go a lot further to make owners happy than improve player quality I think.

Edited by Copes

6 minutes ago, Copes said:

To my knowledge nothing like this has been identified. I personally am also all for it, although as long as there is a salary cap it'd be hard to use that for anything other than training or operations so it would go a lot further to make owners happy than improve player quality I think.

The cap will certainly limit clubs from spending money they earn on improved player quality, but something like 100k made available towards a trasfer fee in a league where most clubs are built on free agent signings would be a big advantage imo.

I'd also be happy to see a club use prize money to help launch an academy. Obviously wouldn't immediately help a club become "a big club", but would be an important piece in developing a sustainable club