CPL General

I was just thinking of sort of a problem with CPL that I hadn't really thought of before and ahhhh....there's going to be a huge gap in between seasons. It looks like it's going to be 6 month season and according to my calculations.... that's only half the year. Yeah I know there is pre-season training and whatnot but 6 months is a long time to not be playing matches when your supposedly at a professional level. 

This may not impact the league itself but in terms of CMNT/player development at the top level it might...

Part of me really wonders if there should be an "indoor league" at some level in Canada...like maybe L1O and PLSQ level...

13 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I was just thinking of sort of a problem with CPL that I hadn't really thought of before and ahhhh....there's going to be a huge gap in between seasons. It looks like it's going to be 6 month season and according to my calculations.... that's only half the year. Yeah I know there is pre-season training and whatnot but 6 months is a long time to not be playing matches when your supposedly at a professional level. 

This may not impact the league itself but in terms of CMNT/player development at the top level it might...

Part of me really wonders if there should be an "indoor league" at some level in Canada...like maybe L1O and PLSQ level...

There's no real set standard for months of play so I don't see it as a massive deal for the league or our program. It's basically the same as the Finnish league so maybe it's worth checking what they do come winter. We also have the MLS so I don't think it will overly hurt the program.

Edited by matty

The original NASL had an indoor season in its later years to address this issue, for what it's worth:

The Edmonton Drillers were champions in one of the seasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980–81_NASL_Indoor_season

Only problem is that going head-to-head with hockey tends to get soccer haters in the media knees-a-jerking in a big way.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Hamilton, London and K-W are each large enough to have their own orbits when it comes to sports but not large enough that your going to get cross over of fans.  

I.e People from London won’t go to Hamilton or people from KW won’t go to Hamilton.

All 3 cities to various degrees get pulled into Toronto’s orbit but not each other’s.  That’s why you see TFC fans from KW, London and Hamilton (like myself, I cheer TFC all the time and was a season seat holder and still go to multiple games per year).

I think Missisauga, Brampton and North York are the same but they haven’t had a strong local orbit in the past because they’re so close to Toronto.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:45 PM, Ansem said:

Or lack of choice?

If I may chirp in here. Part of the reason Toronto is able to draw from these outside areas is the spectacle and the unlikelihood of expansion. Neither Hamilton, nor London, nor any other place in Ontario is ever getting an MLB, NHL, NBA or MLS team. Thus, the investment in Toronto nearby as the local team is reasonable. The potential that a franchise may drop in KW or London (which seems completely plausible) is a barrier for Hamilton to draw people from those markets. Why buy Hamilton stuff today when tomorrow I can buy London stuff? Maybe I'll go see the occasional game, but a full buy in seems unlikely.

The second reason is making the occasional road trip for a more expensive but fuller experience makes more sense to many then an occasional road trip for a cheaper but limited experience, because fundamentally the cost of travel isn't going to change. For example, as a Hamiltonian who catches the occasional Jays game, I'm not going to take the time to buy a GO train ticket/pay for parking and get gouged on beer just to sit on the .500 level for the Jays. It might be way cheaper, but it's a poor experience as a whole when you consider, I had to spend around 25 bucks for my train ticket (or more for gas and parking), and hour of time there and back, plus at least $40 bucks worth in beer. The limit to the experience here is the view and it feels like a waste of money, thankfully I can improve that by buying a better seat. In the case of the CanPL (and I mean no disrespect in this) but the limitation is the level of play. It's not going to be top tier soccer to start (even compared to MLS)  and I can't spontaneously improve the level of play for that one trip. 

I can see the various people in the GRU making at least a combined away day to the nearest CanPL franchise to make their presence known for their desire for a franchise. I can see people from London, maybe catching an occasional game. However, I don't expect them to be there in force, every game, making that trip every time until they have their own franchises, which is really what the CanPL should be focusing on.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, matty said:

I wonder if he or someone like him (a Canadian citizen on the fence) could sue? Not suggesting it, just curious.

I doubt the courts would even bother with such a challenge unless the requirement was extremely high for Canadian content.  Right now it's basically affirmative action, and the response to any complainant is basically "it's not the Canadian who took your starting spot, it's the non-Canadian who is better than you who took your spot."

On 8/7/2018 at 5:45 PM, Ansem said:

Or lack of choice?

TFC will be the big team in the country and draws from all over where the CPL teams will be a regional draw. As stated can't see why someone would go out of their way when they simply can go and watch the best at a packed BMO Field. That is why I am really worried about the York 9's fate and lack of an apparent plan. The CPL in no way wants to see a team suffer any early demise and nothing I have seen from the York 9 tells me they are on a road to success.

10 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I think some teams should make agrreements with southern countries that have professional leagues (Australia, South America, North Africa, Middle East), so the players can be loaned there or the teams can have some training camps overseas

14 minutes ago, masster said:

Nice read

fewer than 100k...so Charlottetown? Seems weird he'd leave PEI out when he was listing provinces.Meh.

Kind of want the CFL to get petty and be like "Hello we were coast to coast first" lol

30 minutes ago, matty said:

Nice read

fewer than 100k...so Charlottetown? Seems weird he'd leave PEI out when he was listing provinces.Meh.

Kind of want the CFL to get petty and be like "Hello we were coast to coast first" lol

The CFL has never been coast to coast.. they almost had a team out East once but it didn't work out.  

Getting to 8 stable franchises would be an amazing achievement, so not sure why David Clanachan feels a need to stoke expectations way beyond that. What he doesn't mention on Burnley is that there are a string of old industrial towns further up the same valley where people also tend to support Burnley that add another 90,000 or so to the club's catchment area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle

8 hours ago, masster said:

The way he talks, it almost sounds like Ottawa is nothing near a sure thing. There are a disturbing number of mixed signals coming out of CPL circles in regards to the Fury.

Can we just fast forward to the end of the USL season so we can find out for sure?

28 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

The way he talks, it almost sounds like Ottawa is nothing near a sure thing. There are a disturbing number of mixed signals coming out of CPL circles in regards to the Fury.

Can we just fast forward to the end of the USL season so we can find out for sure?

They can't say anything about the Fury until the end of the USL season. There's been many slip up on Ottawa already anyway. He's pulling a "Gary Bettman" here, misdirection.

Edited by Ansem

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Getting to 8 stable franchises would be an amazing achievement, so not sure why David Clanachan feels a need to stoke expectations way beyond that. What he doesn't mention on Burnley is that there are a string of old industrial towns further up the same valley where people also tend to support Burnley that add another 90,000 or so to the club's catchment area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle

I don't see it as stoking expectations...I see it as setting a blueprint of what they want to build towards. Have that as a goal. I commend that.

1 minute ago, masster said:

I don't see it as stoking expectations...I see it as setting a blueprint of what they want to build towards. Have that as a goal. I commend that.

A blueprint is a set plan. The expansion talk has been anything but set. We've heard (unofficially) they will be conservative (26 in under a decade isn't conservative) and we've heard (officially) 200k areas and all of a sudden that number is halved. The league seems very confused on this front.

1 hour ago, matty said:

A blueprint is a set plan. The expansion talk has been anything but set. We've heard (unofficially) they will be conservative (26 in under a decade isn't conservative) and we've heard (officially) 200k areas and all of a sudden that number is halved. The league seems very confused on this front.

We have heard twice now (officially) that they want 26 teams by 2026. Maybe blueprint isn't the right word, but sounds like a plan to me.

2 hours ago, masster said:

We have heard twice now (officially) that they want 26 teams by 2026. Maybe blueprint isn't the right word, but sounds like a plan to me.

I'm not saying they don't not want that but they also say we're talking with 12-20 markets and want 200k markets. I don't think there's a plan to get there and find there's a fair bit of mixed messages floating (200k vs 100k markets now as an example).  I do think there is pandering and overhyping happening from them to get us tweeting about the league.

I think this just stokes the people that are in love with pro/reg, red meat for the base. Its a good story, a best case scenario but not very realistic.  I'm with Baulderdash, I cant see more than 10-14.  Unless they want to water the league down to tiny stadiums, tiny budgets etc.  Even if we do get to 14+ wouldnt it be smarter to split into east west divisions to cut back the travel costs??  That way Halifax isnt travelling to BC 4-5 times a year and you build up your regional rivalries with more games?