CPL General

Oh yes, up the Canadian content in voyageurs cup once CPL comes for sure.  Will make it easier to knock off mls and/or force mls teams to carry more Canadians. 

And keep leaving guys like Akinola ineligible.. I love it.  The CSA may finally exert some power.

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, matty said:

The CCL and CONCACAF League chat are interesting. As much as I agree league should get CCL, I don't see it happening. Glad to see the CPL isn't afraid of international play unlike some Canadian fans I've seen.

It will happen for sure.  Every league in concacaf gets entry somehow/someway they have to do the same across the board.  Not to mention the president of concacaf is Canadian.  MLS teams can get through the voyageurs cup to go champions league. Win win win for Canada soccer.

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

It will happen for sure.  Every league in concacaf gets entry somehow/someway they have to do the same across the board.  Not to mention the president of concacaf is Canadian.  MLS teams can get through the voyageurs cup to go champions league. Win win win for Canada soccer.

I mean CPL gets the automatic CCL spot and VCup gets CL (early in the league's run). Sorry if it wasn't clear.

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

And keep leaving guys like Akinola ineligible.. I love it.  The CSA may finally exert some power.

How? That rule literally only affects players who have practically no chance of playing for Canada, Akinola and other fence-sitters don't give a damn about it. On the other hand, the likes of Adrian Butters and Kevin Chan-Yu-Tin may actually lose out because of it.

And that's assuming the domestic requirement actually gets increased to a relevant level at some point.

20 minutes ago, Zem said:

How? That rule literally only affects players who have practically no chance of playing for Canada, Akinola and other fence-sitters don't give a damn about it. On the other hand, the likes of Adrian Butters and Kevin Chan-Yu-Tin may actually lose out because of it.

And that's assuming the domestic requirement actually gets increased to a relevant level at some point.

Okay and who cares if those guys count as domestics or internationals?  They can never play for Canada.  The point is that a guy like Vanney can’t put an extra American on the pitch in a round about way.

Im sure Akinola and others will care when it sees Jordan Hamilton get a start over him based on nationality.  Sure it’s only a few games but it’s our cup and that’s the way it should be.  So you’re wrong, it probably affects fence sitters more than anyone.

Also as for the champions league it’s the CSA that will be deciding.. so it’s tough to see them giving priority to mls over their league just like USSF wouldn’t give priority to Canadian mls teams.

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Okay and who cares if those guys count as domestics or internationals?  The point is that a guy like Vanney can’t put an extra American on the pitch in a round about way.

Im sure Akinola and others will care when it sees Jordan Hamilton get a start over him based on nationality.  Sure it’s o my a few games but it’s our cup and that’s the way it should be.

Also as for the champions league it’s the CSA that will be deciding.. so it’s tough to see them giving priority to mls over their league just like USSF wouldn’t give priority to Canadian mls teams.

I wonder if he or someone like him (a Canadian citizen on the fence) could sue? Not suggesting it, just curious.

And while I don't see them giving a possible second Canadian spot for MLS play I do see them putting the VCup over CPL.

16 minutes ago, matty said:

I wonder if he or someone like him (a Canadian citizen on the fence) could sue? Not suggesting it, just curious.

And while I don't see them giving a possible second Canadian spot for MLS play I do see them putting the VCup over CPL.

Not likely, it would have to be a charter challenge under section 15 equality rights.  But it doesn’t say Canadians of dual nationality can’t be employed or play.. it just forces a team to field a certain max number of eligible Canadians which should be saved under s. 1 as a reasonable limit on equality rights.  I’m not even sure any rights would be infringed/limited in such an instance, but it’s an interesting discussion since it’s Canadian v Canadian rather than Canadian v foreign national. 

It would basically be a player trying to convince a court that they would have beaten a Canadian out of a starting spot had it not been for the rule - but how could you prove that beyond a reasonable doubt? And then why weren’t you as good as the other 8 internationals? Can’t see anyone being able to sue.

Edited by Keegan

47 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Let's not forget that the balance of power within the CSA will shift significantly towards the CPL owners who will outnumber MLS teams. CSA isn't in a position to just ignore them either.

I'm sure the CSA is working hard to secure the 2nd CCL spot so that both tournaments send their champions to CCL to keep everyone happy and not having to choose

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Or he could just commit to Canada. Easier than legal nonsense

or they sue because they don't want to be forced into something they don't feel suits them in order to work/gain exposure. not saying this can happen (no idea on the legality of not counting Canadians as Canadians in this situation) but would be curious to see how it goes if it were to happen

Edited by matty

5 minutes ago, matty said:

or they sue because they don't want to be forced into something they don't feel suits them in order to work/gain exposure. not saying this can happen (no idea on the legality of not counting Canadians as Canadians in this situation) but would be curious to see how it goes if it were to happen

I'm just saying that hypothetically, that's the first thing a judge would ask, why aren't you committing? Anyways, we have laws but they don't regulate EVERYTHING. Those are FIFA rules/regulation and if you look at the track record of the judicial system at forcing sport organization to amend their own rules, it's pretty poor.

I don't respect double-dipping. Unless he picks us, he belongs on the bench as a yank.

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Ansem said:

I'm just saying that hypothetically, that's the first thing a judge would ask, why aren't you committing? I don't respect double-dipping. Unless he picks us, he belongs on the bench as a yank.

I don't think it would be. I partly agree and would prefer Canadians playing first but again I'm curious as he is a Canadian if a case could be made that this is unfair to him and others. Any lawyer Vs here wanna pipe in?

Think this would be a better talk in maybe the off-topic or world soccer sections.

50 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm impressed

Why?

What benefits to the team or the league does this program bring? I get that it benefits girls, but how does it contribute to the bottom line in either a sporting or business sense for Valour FC?

Edited by ted

Re ted's comment on Valour: Possibly because it sends the message that Valour is committed to promoting football pathways for all Canadian players, both men and women, extending the brand and drawing in a wider market to the club as a whole.  I'm impressed too. Shows that the talk about eventually moving toward a CPL-W might not just be lip service. 

Because community investments like that are mining for gold?  

Without knowing any of the nuts and bolts of the scheme and how it will be an improvement over the existing program it's hard to say what if anything that investment will ultimately harvest.  I also doubt this will be the last announcement along these lines.

1 hour ago, Namaste said:

I wonder if Alessandro Busti will play for Juventus. 

I’m not sure what juventus they’re playing?  Busti is 18 and this club doesn’t seem like the Juventus Italy it says 1956 on their badge.  More false advertising by the CPL teams?  Not good.

Edited by Keegan

6 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I’m not sure what juventus they’re playing?  Busti is 18 and this club doesn’t seem like the Juventus Italy it says 1956 on their badge.  More false advertising by the CPL teams?  Not good.

Well, they haven't really claimed it to be Juventus Italy but I found the team's website.

• Juventus Sport Club is a highly competitive youth soccer club in Redwood City, CA at the heart of Silicon Valley. We are one of the most preeminent and well-known soccer clubs in the Bay Area.

http://juventus-sc.org/

So it's a York Region vs California match

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Let's not forget that the balance of power within the CSA will shift significantly towards the CPL owners who will outnumber MLS teams. CSA isn't in a position to just ignore them either.

Even with the CPL teams, the balance of power within the CSA will never shift in the pro clubs' favour under the current system.