CPL General

Think they should have used Hamilton's traditional pro soccer name that has a history stretching back to the early 1960s and even inspired the launch of a beer in the mid-80s:

steeler%20H.png?itok=KKsA8veG

but it really doesn't matter so much what a team is called and what logo they adopt. It's the quality of the soccer that can be provided based on the revenue levels that can be derived from the interest level in the sport that will make or break this project in sustainability and  longevity terms. York 9 excepted, I think they should be reasonably happy with how things are going so far. Still a lot of work to do to make the numbers work but a very solid looking foundation to build from in most of the cities.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

30 minutes ago, matty said:

which forge or the logo? forge is metal as fuck and with the right jersey and merch could be a cult favorite outside of soccer circles.

Everything. The grey and orange will blend together rather nicely and yes, the right looking jersey will make it a best seller.

Edited by Macksam

Alright full honestly with 24 hours of knowing the name and logo, I say safely say Forge FC have more of a culture than the rest of the league combined.

Everything about this team screams heavy fucking metal. The name "Forge", black and gold, the cheap looking logo. If they don't embrace this it'll be the biggest mistake.

Edited by matty

22 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

going to a wild wing restaurant and asking them to put on the CANADA at Cuba game during a Euro Cup - bartender asks “ we have a team?”  O Ocean scores!!!

I was working at the TV station "The Score" then. I put one of the TVs in our room to the Canada vs Cuba game and people were saying "You don't want to watch the Euro game? I thought you were a soccer fan. This is a big game!" to which I responded "If I were German or Portuguese it would be a bigger game, but I'm Canadian so the Canada vs Cuba game is the bigger game." I didn't convert anybody to be Canada soccer fans that day.

Lots of News

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8739451-hamilton-s-own-and-here-to-stay/

• Clanachan said Thursday the new league will be competitive and entertaining and its calibre of play "I would like to think, could be above the USL. That's my personal opinion, though."
  • And on the cusp, among others, are a team in Saskatchewan and in at least one of three possible cities in Quebec.
  • "We'd like to announce two expansion clubs for 2020," Clanachan said. "If everything lined up nicely it wouldn't be outside the realm that we could announce four expansion clubs."
  • Young, Mitchell and Clanachan emphasized Thursday that starting a new league had the advantage of being unencumbered by locked-in practices and mindsets.

They're looking at moving away from old-school broadcast networks, for instance, and jumping directly into the rapidly changing media world that includes streaming and other non-traditional forms of sports-content consumption.

• Mitchell reiterated that the average team would have from $3-4 million at risk in Year One, "and it scales up from there."

• There will be a salary cap, and overall rosters will contain between 23 and 25 players, half of whom will be Canadians.

At least six of the 11 players on the field at any one time will have to be Canadians.

Edited by Ansem

Looking at the Year One roster requirements, I'm relief that teams will have more flexibility than we all expected. So my understanding is 

• Half the roster must be Canadian...so up to 12 players would be allowed to be foreigners
  • No more than 5 imports on the pitch at a time
  • $3-4 millions...Salary or all expenses?

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Looking at the Year One roster requirements, I'm relief that teams will have more flexibility than we all expected. So my understanding is 

• Half the roster must be Canadian...so up to 12 players would be allowed to be foreigners
  • No more than 5 imports on the pitch at a time
  • $3-4 millions...Salary or all expenses?

It says that much money is "at risk" so I think that would be all expenses.

41 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lots of News

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8739451-hamilton-s-own-and-here-to-stay/

• Clanachan said Thursday the new league will be competitive and entertaining and its calibre of play "I would like to think, could be above the USL. That's my personal opinion, though."
  • And on the cusp, among others, are a team in Saskatchewan and in at least one of three possible cities in Quebec.
  • "We'd like to announce two expansion clubs for 2020," Clanachan said. "If everything lined up nicely it wouldn't be outside the realm that we could announce four expansion clubs."
  • Young, Mitchell and Clanachan emphasized Thursday that starting a new league had the advantage of being unencumbered by locked-in practices and mindsets.

They're looking at moving away from old-school broadcast networks, for instance, and jumping directly into the rapidly changing media world that includes streaming and other non-traditional forms of sports-content consumption.

• Mitchell reiterated that the average team would have from $3-4 million at risk in Year One, "and it scales up from there."

• There will be a salary cap, and overall rosters will contain between 23 and 25 players, half of whom will be Canadians.

At least six of the 11 players on the field at any one time will have to be Canadians.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I hope if they do go solely with streaming it will be because they had no viable options rather than choosing to ignore TV.  I know the numbers and the trends, but there are still a ton of footy consumers that get their fix via the idiot box.  Forgoing that kind of exposure seems like a mistake for a league that will fight for attention out of the gates.  Streaming may be the absolute norm in 10-20 years, but even on that timeframe there is a window of opportunity to utilize traditional broadcasting. 

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I hope if they do go solely with streaming it will be because they had no viable options rather than choosing to ignore TV.  I know the numbers and the trends, but there are still a ton of footy consumers that get their fix via the idiot box.  Forgoing that kind of exposure seems like a mistake for a league that will fight for attention out of the gates.  Streaming may be the absolute norm in 10-20 years, but even on that timeframe there is a window of opportunity to utilize traditional broadcasting. 

Being on DAZN would be smart, especially since they got the Champions League exclusive rights in Canada. I'm that close to get it...if only they had Premier League as well...

I always thought that CBC was the best choice, TV-wise as it's coast to coast for free...can't beat that kind of exposure. 

The V Cup semifinals aren't even  on TV and it's crazy that DAZN got exclusive rights to Champions League. That means that both Rogers and Bell didn't put up much of a fight for them and we all know they can. I don't think they get paid much for year 1 of CPL. If a digital media is willing to pay a premium for exclusivity I get why they are considering it, but yeah, I prefer they show the product on TV.

Edited by Ansem

50 minutes ago, Kent said:

It says that much money is "at risk" so I think that would be all expenses.

Which, not to keep harping on this, would come out to 1 to 1.3 million in player salaries from 3-4 total expenses using the rule of thumb used by Easton, who is who is now on staff

Assuming they don't include the capital expense of the stadium, but that wouldn't make much sense