CPL General

Geez, I hope that's just an alternate logo and not going to be on a shirt.  I don't think I could buy a football shirt with that as the crest - looks like a minor league lacrosse team shoulder patch.  

What's up with the 'H'?  It's like a backwards L on one side.. am I dumb and it's something obvious or is it just some unnecessary font?

Edited by Keegan

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Geez, I hope that's just an alternate logo and not going to be on a shirt.  I don't think I could buy a football shirt with that as the crest - looks like a minor league lacrosse team shoulder patch.  

What's up with the 'H'?  It's like a backwards L on one side.. am I dumb and it's something obvious or is it just some unnecessary font?

I think the L on the right is a result of them grasping really hard to make the left side an F, for Founders.  I don't know why they went with Founders, I think Cornball FC was still available.

However, looking at it again (against my better judgement) that weird, red hat the H is wearing also looks like someone tried to make an F out of three red potato chips.  

Summary:  You got me...what is this crap?  My sympathies go out to the good people of Hamilton.

Edited by SuperCanuck

Funny how so many here are complaining because Hamilton has put out more than one promo video, as if that were an unfair advantage in relation to the other CPL clubs, with the argument that they have a media company backing them. 

Then a logo gets released that is, indeed, pretty odd, and no one mentions that having a media company if you are the TiCats owner may not work at all in your favour. 

4 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I think the L on the right is a result of them grasping really hard to make the left side an F, for Founders.  I don't know why they went with Founders, I think Cornball FC was still available.

However, looking at it again (against my better judgement) that weird, red hat the H is wearing also looks like someone tried to make an F out of three red potato chips.  

Summary:  You got me...what is this crap?  My sympathies go out to the good people of Hamilton.

Yea that’s what I don’t get either.  It’s like a half F on the left side but then the remaining portion of the F is an F itself.  So we have 1.5 Fs, 1 H and 1 backwards L = big L. 

Edited by Keegan

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The H with an F hat in 90’s bad tribal tattoo lettering is pretty weird.  I thought the F video was cool though.  Let’s see what gets released tonight.

I’m quite happy with Forge instead of Founders.  Forge is a good name.

Yes Forge is good. I don't know what a Forge is but It's still better than Founders. 

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yea that’s what I don’t get either.  It’s like a half F on the left side but then the remaining portion of the F is an F itself.  So we have 1.5 Fs, 1 H and 1 backwards L = big L. 

I'll give them back the full F and donate a U.  I guess it's not as bad as this sort of thing, but it's still puzzling and very disappointing.

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 7.31.49 AM.png

I'm generally trying to stay positive about CPL stuff, but I really hope that's not it. It reminds me of the era when MLS tried to tap into 90s skater culture 10 years too late

I would have preferred if they went with something more classic. Their "vintage" TiCats line of clothes would have actually been a good start IMO 

4052_59b16aa813c1f3.86576467_1164_20crossed_20ham_20hoodie_20BCK_large_25cf6e42-4f80-44da-a51f-95af05934e19_1024x1024.jpg

Agreed, there’s no question they should have gone simple and classy.  Still hoping this logo is a joke or something.. I mean they must know that everyone has figured out how to get the leaked logos, maybe they’re playing us? 

41 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It reminds me of the era when MLS tried to tap into 90s skater culture 10 years too late

I now want a CPL team to have Thrasher magazine as a jersey sponsor (oddly that might be the best possible sponsor if you're trying to move jerseys).

I don't know about the vintage thing (I think a lot of fans want it for a lassic look but I dunno feels gimmicky to me). While I think Hamilton's possible logo looks awful ATM I really need to see it on a jersey and with a team name to fully understand it (it's possible they are going for a slick/industrial look which could work very well).

Hope they use Hamilton Steelers by some luck because that name would perfectly reflect the image of black on black industrial intensity...also team song needs to be either drone, black or industrial metal (I nominate Nadja).

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The H with an F hat in 90’s bad tribal tattoo lettering is pretty weird.  I thought the F video was cool though.  Let’s see what gets released tonight.

I’m quite happy with Forge instead of Founders.  Forge is a good name.

Your avatar is a billion times better.

Edited by Obinna

We are in “first world problems “ with this string !

if the Logo’s are done on an etch-a-sketch and if the team names were selected in a circa 2000 gold cup drawing of lots, I would not care !

My first soccer national soccer love started in 1982 watching my county of birth  France (on tape delay on CBC) play in World Cup - I still hate Tony Shumaker !

Then Canada qualifies in 1986 and I recall empty Mexican stadiums hosting us and watching thinking please score a goal - shout out to Tino Leteri still today 

then living in edmonton at the time and seeing the team play in person in a long forgotten tourney - Peshi and Alex Bunbury much love 

losing to Aussie in PK- still stinks 

Gold Cup 2000??????????????

Attiba was onside 

At an all inclusive in Mexico with my wonderful sons when we cap tied Kevin Aleman !

going to a wild wing restaurant and asking them to put on the CANADA at Cuba game during a Euro Cup - bartender asks “ we have a team?”  O Ocean scores!!!

Too many Toronto hosted games where we are the visiting team 

Dero quick free kick v Panama

K McKenna missing the header at the death 

8-1 

#FH

and so on 

long live the league and what it does for our country 

13 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

We are in “first world problems “ with this string !

if the Logo’s are done on an etch-a-sketch and if the team names were selected in a circa 2000 gold cup drawing of lots, I would not care !

My first soccer national soccer love started in 1982 watching my county of birth  France (on tape delay on CBC) play in World Cup - I still hate Tony Shumaker !

Then Canada qualifies in 1986 and I recall empty Mexican stadiums hosting us and watching thinking please score a goal - shout out to Tino Leteri still today 

then living in edmonton at the time and seeing the team play in person in a long forgotten tourney - Peshi and Alex Bunbury much love 

losing to Aussie in PK- still stinks 

Gold Cup 2000??????????????

Attiba was onside 

At an all inclusive in Mexico with my wonderful sons when we cap tied Kevin Aleman !

going to a wild wing restaurant and asking them to put on the CANADA at Cuba game during a Euro Cup - bartender asks “ we have a team?”  O Ocean scores!!!

Too many Toronto hosted games where we are the visiting team 

Dero quick free kick v Panama

K McKenna missing the header at the death 

8-1 

#FH

and so on 

long live the league and what it does for our country 

So many memories, got a chuckle out of Aleman being cap tied as one of them ?

Also was it not Edgar who missed the header at the death? 

Names Ranked
1. HFX Wanderers FC - despite the HFX the name feels right and even the HFX comes from a time tested method for something cool (see NOFX or CHP DOX)
2. Valour FC - ties to Winnipeg and Valour is a great name. could see it as a European team name unlike other CPL teams with similar names
3. FC Edmonton - keeping it simple and sticking to it
4. Forge FC - kind of cheesy but fitting. pretty pretty metal
5. Cavalry FC - while it fits with the city's other teams, it's nearly ungooglable and feels like a knock off of Arsenal. the lack of including the word Calgary also feels kind of odd.
6. York 9 FC - BLINK 182 and Sum 41 called

Logos Ranked
1. HFX Wanderers FC - again they really hit a home run. The graphic and colours are great
2. Valour FC - very dignified
3. York 9 FC - simple and modern. great colour usage
4. Cavalry FC - simple and classical...a little too classical. Colours also are not that great
5. Forge FC - looks like a college logo and really needs a solid jersey
6. FC Edmonton - cooler than the old logo but the fan logos were better. it's kind of boring

Edited by matty

Honestly, Hamilton probably has my least favourite logo, but I can get behind the name. I think their colours are pretty cool / fitting as well. 

All that said though, what matters to me is investment into growing the team within the community. With that in mind, I'm not judging any of the clubs yet!