CPL General

On 7/7/2018 at 8:39 AM, Keegan said:

Just go Hamilton City and let the nickname work itself out.. hammers, Steelers, founders whatever.

no. that's boring. fuck just copying the euro style for cred. mls does that shit. like i don't like most names so far but at least york 9 and hfx wanderers are something different from what we've seen mls clubs do. let the cpl teams be different.

I stumbled on a video analyzing why the XFL had failed. One reason caught my attention. It said that the training camp were too short. This meant that there weren't enough time for coaches & players to build chemistry and get into mid season shape, which lead to a poor product on the field.

I really hope that the teams are built by the day after the winter transfer window and that training camps starts way ahead of April 2019.

*Yeah, they also pointed out that trolling the NFL was a factor, good on CPL to not go there. That's why on the York 9 thread I pointed out that it's very likely that the team will be very timid in their attempt to run advertisement campaigns in Toronto as they will be playing out of York University stadium for the first few years. Despite their low membership counts, seems like they are willing to take early loses and focus on York Region. That new stadium being close to completion and plans being release will be critical to the team's effort to stockpile on fans.

Edited by Ansem

On 7/9/2018 at 10:17 AM, matty said:

no. that's boring. fuck just copying the euro style for cred. mls does that shit. like i don't like most names so far but at least york 9 and hfx wanderers are something different from what we've seen mls clubs do. let the cpl teams be different.

Halifax wanderers is my favourite name thus far. I really like it.

After that, I kinda like York 9 to be honest. It's fresh and a lil break from the typical names we see.

That being said, I don't mind FC Edmonton keeping their name. No need to change it really. It is simple and I am okay with some teams having those generic, if not clean/safe names. I just wouldn't want the whole league to follow that trend.

After weeks and weeks of having my back up, I am really starting to come around to the name (and concept) of Cavalry FC. Spruce meadows looks nice and although I haven't been there (yet), my excitement is starting to grow.

Valour FC I also like. Well, I am not that keen on the name itself, but I really like the story behind it and the local connection it has and I really like the logo.

As for Hamilton, I would like to see Hamilton City as the name. While I agree we should move away from the generic names a bit, I am apprehensive about having the entire league with these "out of the box" names like Cavalry, Valour, York 9 etc. I don't want us to go too heavy down that path. Some balance is good. I like to think the City in Hamilton City provides some identity in that it denotes Hamilton as an entity seperate from the GTA more effectively than if it was just Hamilton FC or Steelers FC or something like that. I am not from the region, but I can imagine distinguishing the city as "not Toronto" would be a good thing. Take it with a grain of salt though.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

After that, I kinda like York 9 to be honest. It's fresh and a lil break from the typical names we see.

That being said, I don't mind FC Edmonton keeping their name. No need to change it really. It is simple and I am okay with some teams having those generic, if not clean/safe names. I just wouldn't want the whole league to follow that trend.

After weeks and weeks of having my back up, I am really starting to come around to the name (and concept) of Cavalry FC. Spruce meadows looks nice and although I haven't been there (yet), my excitement is starting to grow.

Valour FC I also like. Well, I am not that keen on the name itself, but I really like the story behind it and the local connection it has and I really like the logo.

As for Hamilton, I would like to see Hamilton City as the name. While I agree we should move away from the generic names a bit, I am apprehensive about having the entire league with these "out of the box" names like Cavalry, Valour, York 9 etc. I don't want us to go too heavy down that path. Some balance is good. I like to think the City in Hamilton City provides some identity in that it denotes Hamilton as an entity seperate from the GTA more effectively than if it was just Hamilton FC or Steelers FC or something like that. I am not from the region, but I can imagine distinguishing the city as "not Toronto" would be a good thing. Take it with a grain of salt though.

I was actually thinking they're semi generic like an Arsenal but I dig what you say. We'll see actually liking Wanderers and Valour (that one is growing on me)

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Preach brother. These team names are terrible. One or two “Don’t yo you dare mention the city name” teams is enough. But Majority of the league?  I mean common. Even HFX.... just call it Halifax! It’s okay. 

On 7/9/2018 at 12:17 PM, matty said:

It’s not copying the euro style though.  That’s literally just the city name... better than Hamilton FC or Real Hamilton or Sporting Hamilton.  I don’t think you can say Hamilton City is copying euro style - it’s just a generic name.  I think we need more city names, we can’t have a bunch of teams with singular names that don’t connect to anything and realistically Cavalry FC is more of a rip off than *insert city* city.  Those teams will get nick names just like TFC did.

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s not copying the euro style though.  That’s literally just the city name... better than Hamilton FC or Real Hamilton or Sporting Hamilton.  I don’t think you can say Hamilton City is copying euro style - it’s just a generic name.  I think we need more city names, we can’t have a bunch of teams with singular names that don’t connect to anything and realistically Cavalry FC is more of a rip off than *insert city* city.  Those teams will get nick names just like TFC did.

Manchecter City
Hull City
Leicester City
Swansea City
Stoke City
Cardiff City
Birmingham City
Bristol City
Norwich City

It's a UK naming trend so yes it is Euro-style. I fully agree on Cavalry FC

19 minutes ago, matty said:

Manchecter City
Hull City
Leicester City
Swansea City
Stoke City
Cardiff City
Birmingham City
Bristol City
Norwich City

I guess you haven’t heard of brexit? ? also you didn’t mention my Exeter City.  I don’t see anything wrong with it.. each of those teams chose a nickname I.e blue birds, canaries, Grecians, foxes, swans etc. 

I just see that as the best option rather than forcing a name with zero variability off the bat I.e founders.  

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I guess you haven’t heard of brexit? ? also you didn’t mention my Exeter City.  I don’t see anything wrong with it.. each of those teams chose a nickname I.e blue birds, canaries, Grecians, foxes, swans etc. 

I just see that as the best option rather than forcing a name with zero variability off the bat I.e founders.  

FC Edmonton is a good example already with the Rally Rabbit. It definitely connects the fans to the team in a more meaningful way

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Brexit doesn't change geography but I did get a laugh out of that and sorry for not mentioning Exeter City, I was sticking to the leagues people actually care about ;) 

There's nothing wrong with it but it does resembles the same thing as using "United", it's gimmicky. Part of why York 9 stands out is because it's actually something different for the sport and brings back a sense of our culture rather than everyone elses.

Canada has a sport culture and it's weird that people want to toss it all aside to adopt the tactics of every where else for this one sport.

Is anyone else a little confused as to why Hamilton seems to be getting more pre-launch publicity from the CPL? I get that Hamilton/Bob Young has been crucial to the whole CPL venture, but I feel like each team should get the same treatment. Having one team get more coverage at launch than others just doesn't sit well with me.

4 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Is anyone else a little confused as to why Hamilton seems to be getting more pre-launch publicity from the CPL? I get that Hamilton/Bob Young has been crucial to the whole CPL venture, but I feel like each team should get the same treatment. Having one team get more coverage at launch than others just doesn't sit well with me.

Not sure I follow

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not sure I follow

If I recall correctly, for each previous launch there was a single "CPL City Approved" video released about two days before the unveiling (there was also the awkward acknowledgement for Victoria, but we'll consider that an anomaly). They then followed up the day of with a link to the event, video explaining "how the community in X inspired us", short news release, etc.

For Hamilton, they released the "CPL City Approved" video almost a full week in advance, and have since released two additional videos promoted that club and its launch specifically (the "ignite the next generation" one, and now this weird fire-forged symbol/logo thing). This is out of step with how the previous launches were publicized, and apart from Hamilton/Bob Young's influence in getting the league off the ground, I'm struggling to figure out why. It also leaves me wondering if the league is going to be more involved and somehow make this a flashier unveiling than the others. 

The league has been very even and consistent in its approach so far, and promoting one team more than the others seems somehow . . . unfair, I guess? I know it's not a huge thing, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Probably just a sign that I'm following this all too closely. :P

Edited by m-g-williams

3 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

The league has been very even and consistent in its approach so far, and promoting one team more than the others seems somehow . . . unfair, I guess? I know it's not a huge thing, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Probably just a sign that I'm following this all too closely. :P

The TiCats have a well developed media team and Bob Young has his own digital media company. They probably just had better resources to put together a little clip with a 3D logo and handed it off to the league. 

5 hours ago, matty said:

Manchester City
Hull City
Leicester City
Swansea City
Stoke City
Cardiff City
Birmingham City
Bristol City
Norwich City

Just to clarify, a CITY in the UK has a special meaning, and not all large urban conglomerations were technically cities. 

Originally, going on memory here, cities were places that were the seat of a diocese and had cathedrals. Towns, even those larger than a nearby cathedral city, were not given this status. 

Then, a secondary factor, when cathedrals were not the only criteria, was that the crown could grant city status to an urban centre.

So City is not just a generic city, as a name of a football team in England. It is specific, and has a specific resonance. This also explains why some larger urban conglomerates have football teams that are known as "- - - - Town".

The conclusion would be: just because it is a city, generically, does not mean that calling the team City is a neutral decision.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

The TiCats have a well developed media team and Bob Young has his own digital media company. They probably just had better resources to put together a little clip with a 3D logo and handed it off to the league. 

That makes a lot more sense now; I didn't realize Young had his own digital media outfit. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The conclusion would be: just because it is a city, generically, does not mean that calling the team City is a neutral decision.

Since the current version of Hamilton is actually an amalgamation of 6 cities/towns, obviously the most apt name is Hamilton Amalgamation FC.  It's catchy too!  Kind of rolls off the tongue.

Hamilton6 FC would also be acceptable.

41 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Since the current version of Hamilton is actually an amalgamation of 6 cities/towns, obviously the most apt name is Hamilton Amalgamation FC.  It's catchy too!  Kind of rolls off the tongue.

Hamilton6 FC would also be acceptable.

Or would it be better as Alloys?

Fusion, Amalgam, Blend, Meld?

If from what seems to be the final decision they end up with Forge, that's better than Founders, rings true, and at least has a strong sound and image.

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I did notice this as well and it seemed rather odd to me. Can't have it appear that the league is playing favorites, especially so early in the game.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Or would it be better as Alloys?

Fusion, Amalgam, Blend, Meld?

If from what seems to be the final decision they end up with Forge, that's better than Founders, rings true, and at least has a strong sound and image.

I like Forge better than Founders as well, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  There is a much more tangible energy to the word.  And what more could you ask for than to have young Canadian soccer players tempered in a 'Forge'?  Not to mention we want Canadian soccer to 'forge ahead' as opposed to 'foundering'.