Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I like their secondary logo. Hope they use it more often in the future. I've seen worse to be honest

New-Juventus-Wallpapers.jpg

Somebody have a picture of the secondary logo? Haven't seen it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright full honestly with 24 hours of knowing the name and logo, I say safely say Forge FC have more of a culture than the rest of the league combined.

Everything about this team screams heavy ******* metal. The name "Forge", black and gold, the cheap looking logo. If they don't embrace this it'll be the biggest mistake.

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

FFC-Secondary-400x200.jpg

For the love of god Forge FC do not use that logo ever.

It would be better without the red crap and the team name.

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macksam said:

It's kinda growing on me to be honest.

A guy introducing the next band at Christian rock concert that has a beer sponsor that starts with H.

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.29.42 AM.png

Edited by SuperCanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

going to a wild wing restaurant and asking them to put on the CANADA at Cuba game during a Euro Cup - bartender asks “ we have a team?”  O Ocean scores!!!

I was working at the TV station "The Score" then. I put one of the TVs in our room to the Canada vs Cuba game and people were saying "You don't want to watch the Euro game? I thought you were a soccer fan. This is a big game!" to which I responded "If I were German or Portuguese it would be a bigger game, but I'm Canadian so the Canada vs Cuba game is the bigger game." I didn't convert anybody to be Canada soccer fans that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of News

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8739451-hamilton-s-own-and-here-to-stay/

  • Clanachan said Thursday the new league will be competitive and entertaining and its calibre of play "I would like to think, could be above the USL. That's my personal opinion, though."
  • And on the cusp, among others, are a team in Saskatchewan and in at least one of three possible cities in Quebec.
  • "We'd like to announce two expansion clubs for 2020," Clanachan said. "If everything lined up nicely it wouldn't be outside the realm that we could announce four expansion clubs."
  • Young, Mitchell and Clanachan emphasized Thursday that starting a new league had the advantage of being unencumbered by locked-in practices and mindsets.

    They're looking at moving away from old-school broadcast networks, for instance, and jumping directly into the rapidly changing media world that includes streaming and other non-traditional forms of sports-content consumption.

  • Mitchell reiterated that the average team would have from $3-4 million at risk in Year One, "and it scales up from there."

  • There will be a salary cap, and overall rosters will contain between 23 and 25 players, half of whom will be Canadians.

    At least six of the 11 players on the field at any one time will have to be Canadians.

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the Year One roster requirements, I'm relief that teams will have more flexibility than we all expected. So my understanding is 

  • Half the roster must be Canadian...so up to 12 players would be allowed to be foreigners
  • No more than 5 imports on the pitch at a time
  • $3-4 millions...Salary or all expenses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Looking at the Year One roster requirements, I'm relief that teams will have more flexibility than we all expected. So my understanding is 

  • Half the roster must be Canadian...so up to 12 players would be allowed to be foreigners
  • No more than 5 imports on the pitch at a time
  • $3-4 millions...Salary or all expenses?

It says that much money is "at risk" so I think that would be all expenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lots of News

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8739451-hamilton-s-own-and-here-to-stay/

  • Clanachan said Thursday the new league will be competitive and entertaining and its calibre of play "I would like to think, could be above the USL. That's my personal opinion, though."
  • And on the cusp, among others, are a team in Saskatchewan and in at least one of three possible cities in Quebec.
  • "We'd like to announce two expansion clubs for 2020," Clanachan said. "If everything lined up nicely it wouldn't be outside the realm that we could announce four expansion clubs."
  • Young, Mitchell and Clanachan emphasized Thursday that starting a new league had the advantage of being unencumbered by locked-in practices and mindsets.

    They're looking at moving away from old-school broadcast networks, for instance, and jumping directly into the rapidly changing media world that includes streaming and other non-traditional forms of sports-content consumption.

  • Mitchell reiterated that the average team would have from $3-4 million at risk in Year One, "and it scales up from there."

  • There will be a salary cap, and overall rosters will contain between 23 and 25 players, half of whom will be Canadians.

    At least six of the 11 players on the field at any one time will have to be Canadians.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I hope if they do go solely with streaming it will be because they had no viable options rather than choosing to ignore TV.  I know the numbers and the trends, but there are still a ton of footy consumers that get their fix via the idiot box.  Forgoing that kind of exposure seems like a mistake for a league that will fight for attention out of the gates.  Streaming may be the absolute norm in 10-20 years, but even on that timeframe there is a window of opportunity to utilize traditional broadcasting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I hope if they do go solely with streaming it will be because they had no viable options rather than choosing to ignore TV.  I know the numbers and the trends, but there are still a ton of footy consumers that get their fix via the idiot box.  Forgoing that kind of exposure seems like a mistake for a league that will fight for attention out of the gates.  Streaming may be the absolute norm in 10-20 years, but even on that timeframe there is a window of opportunity to utilize traditional broadcasting. 

Being on DAZN would be smart, especially since they got the Champions League exclusive rights in Canada. I'm that close to get it...if only they had Premier League as well...

I always thought that CBC was the best choice, TV-wise as it's coast to coast for free...can't beat that kind of exposure. 

The V Cup semifinals aren't even  on TV and it's crazy that DAZN got exclusive rights to Champions League. That means that both Rogers and Bell didn't put up much of a fight for them and we all know they can. I don't think they get paid much for year 1 of CPL. If a digital media is willing to pay a premium for exclusivity I get why they are considering it, but yeah, I prefer they show the product on TV.

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Kent said:

It says that much money is "at risk" so I think that would be all expenses.

Which, not to keep harping on this, would come out to 1 to 1.3 million in player salaries from 3-4 total expenses using the rule of thumb used by Easton, who is who is now on staff

Assuming they don't include the capital expense of the stadium, but that wouldn't make much sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exciting to see which is now 6 teams on CPL and have they officially capped amount of teams to start CPL with?

Any ways I like the team names and logos to me they've been quite unique in the soccer world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 3:22 PM, Markoaleks said:

We are in “first world problems “ with this string !

if the Logo’s are done on an etch-a-sketch and if the team names were selected in a circa 2000 gold cup drawing of lots, I would not care !

My first soccer national soccer love started in 1982 watching my county of birth  France (on tape delay on CBC) play in World Cup - I still hate Tony Shumaker !

I think you mean Harald Shumacher - he was the bastard who did the flying elbow in the penalty box on Patrick Battiston. Tony was the formula 1 driver I believe.

Sorry for the pedantry, I loved the overall sentiment of your post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think you mean Harold Ramis, he was the guy with glasses in ghost busters.

If we are going to do a Harold Ramis reference on a Canadian forum, let’s at least make it an SCTV one. This is Moe Green we are talking about after all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the Spectator article, while I applaud the ambition of saying the league could be a higher level of play than the USL, I can’t see that happening for the near future with both a salary cap and a rule to have 6 Canadians on the field at all times. I think expectations have to be lowered in that regard at the outset, while at the same time I understand that you don’t want to suggest it’s going to be a crap level of play either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the name, I love Forge. It's a great name that is both a tribute to the Steel industry in the Hammer, to the creativity of our arts scene and it's especially great if you play up an Academy aspect of the team. It's simple, it's centers on the whole point of the team and the league as a whole is, to give us the tools to compete on an international level and build the game in this country. It's also world's better then Founders which was god awful for multiple different reasons I stated earlier.

As far as the colors, I'm glad they are going to have one game a year running black and gold, and frankly hope they co-brand those colors as the alt kits for the team (or keeper kits) I can live with orange and grey, as I do feel grey is underused in sports. It also lets you walk that line between yellow and orange. That said, I would have preferred black, gold and grey as the colors.

As far as the logo, the Hammer logo I love it, although why the sparks are on top of the hammer and not where the Hammer is smashing is a bit odd, but I think it's suppose to be an open forge in the background spewing fire, or sparks from a Hammer strike (from the wrong angle). As I said though, I like it, kinda also looks like a sun. I also like that they kept the Hammer, simple and clean, and while they couldn't resist giving meaning to the number of lines on the handle (each representing one of the amalgamated communities of Hamilton), it's simple enough an explanation to not get ridiculous.

The HF logo, I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it either, and to be honest I'm seeing more and more cracks with it every day. I'm not usually a fan of using just a letter or two letters for your logo, because it's 1) boring 2) overdone 3) makes you look like a highschool or college team and 4) doesn't communicate your branding well. When I look at it, I think "Samoan Tribal Tatoo" not "Hamilton Forge Soccer" I'll be honest, part of me googled Klingon alphabet to see if someone pulled a prank, just for kicks. It's just kinda...there, if they don't put it on a shield with some words, I'd be concerned people would just think the logo is some kind of clothing line.

I would have gone with a Hammer smashing an Anvil with golden sparks coming out on it, on a black shield back drop so the sparks also look like stars, but I can't complain as I can't design it myself.

Edited by -Hammer-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...