CPL Stadium Thread

12 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

To be fair, I went by Westhills a couple of days ago and nothing hasn't been started on expansion for Pacific FC either.

I think they’ve done a bunch of ground work in preparation for the stands; which are currently being built overseas and will just be assembled on site. They’ve already moved the pond back to allow space for the west grandstand, as well as some other work.

Edited by C2SKI

29 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

I guess that the Military Museums must be just the same as Calvary FC. ?

Sorry, Calgary has been as part of the cities identity. Hard to ignore given that CFB Calgary used to occupy a large portion of the city including some land along the Bow River.

You cant erase that fact no matter how hard you try.

I assume you meant to type "military" there?

To be clear, I am not wishing that Calgary had it's military history erased. 

In fact, it is quite the opposite. I am happy to learn that Calgary has a legitimate military history. That would make this manufactured identity of the club seem more authentic and less gimmicky.

That said, I am sure I am not alone in my ignorance of Calgary's supposed military importance. Like many residents, I was not born and raised in the city, plus there are very few visual remanents of a military past, at least in comparison to what I am use to. In my hometown of St. John's, for example, there are clues of this in the form of statues or old cannons from when the Americans set up bases and forts during the second world war. Calgary is honestly quite a contrast in that regard.

Perhaps the modern feel of Calgary obscures the past.

Perhaps the club should have a feel congruent to the feeling of the city. And Calgary just doesn't feel like a military city to me. Just my personal opinion.

Edited by Obinna

On a more positive note, I am very happy with the renders that were posted. I am getting more and more excited to take in games at Spruce Meadows this spring. I do think the uniqueness and quaintness of this venue will be worth the commute.

Hell, I may even catch myself taking in esqutarian events one day, who knows!

Edited by Obinna

8 hours ago, DoyleG said:

To be fair, I went by Westhills a couple of days ago and nothing hasn't been started on expansion for Pacific FC either.

Oh ok , what are they doing to that Pacific FC venue to get it ready for the CPL season, I’m sure it’s been discussed in the Pacific FC posts but too lazy to go look sorry.

^^^Check up three posts.

Only thing to add about Calgary and the posts in front of the main grandstand is that it helps justify the massive price differences by section as some of the seats at either end are going to have some fairly severe restrictions on seeing what is happening in the other half.

Have to assume this is a case of making the best of what was already available in a way that nudges people towards a higher price point on tickets as doing this on purpose with soccer only in mind would be very strange. 

Guess there is no issue with that seating format for showjumping because some of the course will always be right up close, but what works well for one sport isn't always good for another.

Was looking at a sports preview for the year and saw that Canada rugby is playing 2 friendlies at Westhills in late Feb and 1st weekend of March. So that would suggest the fixed configuration will have to be ready by then or else set up afterwards. Then there is the Women's Rugby 7s tournament in May same as last year. So I wonder to what degree the rugby set up will affect soccer, especially end zone stands and distance from the pitch. Anyone know how soccer and rugby convert stadiums? 

Watching Woking from 6th. tier English soccer at home to Premier League Watford in FA Cup action. Playing at Woking FC’s stadium fits around 6000 place is packed this is the kind of atmosphere I’m thinking of when I say I don’t mind these small stadiums we will see in Halifax, Calgary and a few of the other stadiums in the CPL, nothing compares to a small stadium packed with fans, makes it the place to be kind of feel.

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was looking at a sports preview for the year and saw that Canada rugby is playing 2 friendlies at Westhills in late Feb and 1st weekend of March. So that would suggest the fixed configuration will have to be ready by then or else set up afterwards. Then there is the Women's Rugby 7s tournament in May same as last year. So I wonder to what degree the rugby set up will affect soccer, especially end zone stands and distance from the pitch. Anyone know how soccer and rugby convert stadiums? 

The conversion from soccer mainly complicates the size of the rugby equivalent of an endzone, if the stadium is usually configured with soccer in mind. Given Rugby Canada is based at the Westhills stadium, they will probably want to have sensibly-sized spaces left behind the two goals:

SnipImage.jpg

It looks like they will be OK on that judging from the latest renderings:

DtRFO18V4AA7Oah.jpg.abe6b2f375f6a2057f5a

The most challenging part in the timeline available is probably putting in the envisaged west end seating:

57481B29-769B-4353-9345-26E4BB0EFCC5.thu

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

Watching Woking from 6th. tier English soccer at home to Premier League Watford in FA Cup action. Playing at Woking FC’s stadium fits around 6000 place is packed this is the kind of atmosphere I’m thinking of when I say I don’t mind these small stadiums we will see in Halifax, Calgary and a few of the other stadiums in the CPL, nothing compares to a small stadium packed with fans, makes it the place to be kind of feel.

I agree wholeheartedly.  The one thing that will be hard to match is having a significant away following to ramp things up that bit more.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sports Entertainment Atlantic hosted rugby and soccer at the Wanderers Grounds this past summer - was at both games. The stand configuration didn’t change at all and the line layout on the field seemed to cover roughly the same area. Can’t imagine they’ll have much troubles switching back and forth.

• 5 weeks later...

Pacific FC's Westhills Stadium update from Feb 1 :

"Simpson said the seating components for the 6,000-seat Westhills Stadium expansion are being shipped from Germany and that the stadium will be ready for game action before April 28.

“They will piece together like Lego,” said Simpson, who came out of Juan de Fuca to play pro soccer in Europe and earn 43 caps for Canada.

“We will be game-day ready for soccer. But the polish and beautification of the area around the stadium [which is planned to include several fan plazas] will probably not be completed until May or June.”"

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/former-harbourcats-gm-brad-norris-jones-joins-pacific-fc-front-office-1.23621107

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Pacific FC's Westhills Stadium update from Feb 1 :

"Simpson said the seating components for the 6,000-seat Westhills Stadium expansion are being shipped from Germany and that the stadium will be ready for game action before April 28.

“They will piece together like Lego,” said Simpson, who came out of Juan de Fuca to play pro soccer in Europe and earn 43 caps for Canada.

“We will be game-day ready for soccer. But the polish and beautification of the area around the stadium [which is planned to include several fan plazas] will probably not be completed until May or June.”"

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/former-harbourcats-gm-brad-norris-jones-joins-pacific-fc-front-office-1.23621107

Based on the renderings, this is my favorite stadium in the league so far.

Edited by Obinna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU74A8RCYPs

Was just watching a video of FC Midtjylland and was surprised that venue only holds 11,800 people. The noise level trumps anything I have seen in MLS minus a packed Saputo maybe. Scale this baby anywhere from 12,000 to 16,000 seats and you will have a blue print for the first permanent SSS built for a Canadian CPL club. Looks expandable to if need be afterwards.

mch-arena-midtjylland-aerial.jpg

c0b0e61882b0b20ae1cd3cc7146b6197.jpg

23 hours ago, Macksam said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU74A8RCYPs

Was just watching a video of FC Midtjylland and was surprised that venue only holds 11,800 people. The noise level trumps anything I have seen in MLS minus a packed Saputo maybe. Scale this baby anywhere from 12,000 to 16,000 seats and you will have a blue print for the first permanent SSS built for a Canadian CPL club. Looks expandable to if need be afterwards.

mch-arena-midtjylland-aerial.jpg

c0b0e61882b0b20ae1cd3cc7146b6197.jpg

Nice stadium and these are the type of stadiums the CPL needs . However, Portland has a great little stadium in the MLS and it’s very noisy I’ve been there, I’ve also been to Kansas City and their MLS stadium is a perfect size and very noisy too. I know you like to shit on every thing MLS , did you apply for a job with TFC or something and we’re not successful? Ok shit on everything MLS because it’s what you like to do I get it but when it comes to soccer specific stadiums it’s something the MLS has mainly done right and even an MLS hating Toronto area guy like you have to admit. Moreover , when it comes to stadiums it’s something the CPL needs to look at what MLS has done in regards to stadiums. When accepting new teams make sure they have a solid stadium plan . What Halifax has done should be the blueprint, a nice small intimate stadium that you can fill most games instead of big stadiums that will be half full. People will go to a game and see it full and will want to come back because it feels like the place to be, instead of a big stadium that is less than half full.

10 hours ago, 1996 said:

Nice stadium and these are the type of stadiums the CPL needs . However, Portland has a great little stadium in the MLS and it’s very noisy I’ve been there, I’ve also been to Kansas City and their MLS stadium is a perfect size and very noisy too. I know you like to shit on every thing MLS , did you apply for a job with TFC or something and we’re not successful? Ok shit on everything MLS because it’s what you like to do I get it but when it comes to soccer specific stadiums it’s something the MLS has mainly done right and even an MLS hating Toronto area guy like you have to admit. 

I do nothing but speak truth and if that sounds like I’m shitting on MLS, that’s just where the chips fall. I am no MLS hater.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I don’t like MLS, you can even say I dislike the league. It’s not my cup of tea. However, I have never said I hate it or want it to fail. 

I am fairly neutral to MLS and will watch matches I find interesting, usually ones involving a franchise currently located in a Canadian city. But I despise the way they discriminate against Canadian players whilst at the same time deriving significant benefit and above average revenue from Canadian cities.

We have put up with it until now because we had no alternative. But if all goes well, that is about to change. And once we have an alternative, I hope and believe that Canadians will choose it.

Edited by dsqpr

22 hours ago, RS said:

So it's the truth that Stade Saputo is the loudest venue in MLS? I'd love to dissect the data you've collected.

I haven't measured the crowd noise decibel levels of all the stadiums if that's what you are getting at. It sounded the loudest from what I recall but, I don't know, it's been a while, I could be mistaken here. However, the most important thing is for you not to get overly concerned over minor, insignificant details like this one. Seems like that's one of your vices you need to work on.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I haven't measured the crowd noise decibel levels of all the stadiums if that's what you are getting at. It sounded the loudest from what I recall but, I don't know, it's been a while, I could be mistaken here. However, the most important thing is for you not to get overly concerned over minor, insignificant details like this one. Seems like that's one of your vices you need to work on.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe you can work on no longer making grandiose statements, confidently passing them off as fact, then getting salty when (mildly) challenged on it.

Also...arjen-robben-7.jpg

Edited by RS

12 minutes ago, RS said:

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe you can work on no longer making grandiose statements, confidently passing them off as fact, then getting salty when (mildly) challenged on it.

Also...arjen-robben-7.jpg

Maybe you can work on reading comprehension?  I feel like I’ve had this lecture with you a few times.

Macksam’s quote “The noise level trumps anything I have seen in MLS minus a packed Saputo maybe.“ 

Maybe stop trying to be a dickhead putting words in people’s mouths.  He never said it was loudest in MLS but loudest he has “seen”. 

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Maybe you can work on reading comprehension?  I feel like I’ve had this lecture with you a few times.

Macksam’s quote “The noise level trumps anything I have seen in MLS minus a packed Saputo maybe.“ 

Maybe stop trying to be a dickhead putting words in people’s mouths.  He never said it was loudest in MLS but loudest he has “seen”. 

How about you stop feeling like you have to lecture me or anyone and follow along with the entire conversation intsead?

Here, I'll recap it for you since one of us seems to have a problem with reading comprehension:

Macksam: "Was just watching a video of FC Midtjylland and was surprised that venue only holds 11,800 people. The noise level trumps anything I have seen in MLS minus a packed Saputo maybe."

1996: "Nice stadium and these are the type of stadiums the CPL needs" (Then proceeds to call Macksam out for shitting on MLS in a long rant.)

Macksam: "I do nothing but speak truth and if that sounds like I’m shitting on MLS, that’s just where the chips fall. I am no MLS hater."

Me: "So it's the truth that Stade Saputo is the loudest venue in MLS? I'd love to dissect the data you've collected." (Look at the wording I used. It directly references his claim that he has "seen" the noise level, as in decibels, and sarcastically suggests that we go over the numbers).

Macksam: (A bunch of backtracking and a personal attack)

Me: (I respond in kind)

So you see, I read things just fine. Hope this helps.