CPL Stadium Thread

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Ben from York9 has previously said that they will be removing the tracks. The field can then be whatever dimension, with the stands going up to it light in the rendition.

I thought that this stadium was to be a legacy of the pan am games...a track and field legacy. I would be really surprised if they were allowed to remove the track in any kind of permanent way.

Stadion Breite - FC Schaffhausen (Switzerland) - Capacity 7,300

20-Lipo-Park1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Stockhorn Arena - FC Thun (Switzerland) - 10,000

198-B06-Stadion-Arena-Thun-05-122.jpg

I hope if CPL gets established and some clubs look to build something more permanent we get stadiums that are more enclosed. I personally don't like the setup of places like DSG Park in Colorado because of the one open end and little coverage for the stands.

Those 

10 hours ago, Pyatkh said:

Stadion Breite - FC Schaffhausen (Switzerland) - Capacity 7,300

20-Lipo-Park1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Stockhorn Arena - FC Thun (Switzerland) - 10,000

198-B06-Stadion-Arena-Thun-05-122.jpg

I hope if CPL gets established and some clubs look to build something more permanent we get stadiums that are more enclosed. I personally don't like the setup of places like DSG Park in Colorado because of the one open end and little coverage for the stands.

These are perfect little stadiums, enclosed, with proper roofs, and intimate, these are the type of stadiums every CPL team should try to attain in the future, why is it that a lot of European countries seem to know how to design these beautiful little stadiums fully enclosed with roofs but we here in Canada and North America in general seem to have no clue how to design a smaller stadium? Our versions of small stadiums seem to be one stand on one side of the field with a fence around the field , we have no clue it boggles the mind!

The problem in Canada is due to the CFL.  The end zones are so deep that the view is that you need to put the vast majority of seats between the goal lines.  Whilst I get the mentality, it does kill the atmosphere.  The best compromise is to put temporary stands / beer gardens over the CFL endzones. Or build small soccer specific stadiums as in this thread.  I think the lack of roofs is down to owners / governments being cheap and trying to get maximum seats for lowest cost.  That just simply is short sighted as it results in less fan atmosphere and therefore less fans interested. 

The other thing is that Europe plays mostly in fall to spring schedules where it is cold and grey with a lot of rain.  Roofs keep that rain off.  We play spring to fall where most of the time it’s sunny so you want to maximise the days that fans can be sitting outside in the sun rather than under the roof.  Obviously, that means that you get days where it’s cold and wet or snow that you have to suffer through 

Edited by An Observer

Argh, those seating arrangements aren't going to work. The sections of seats that go behind the goal line will just make spectators feel away from the action. If they still talked to the Fury ownership they would know this. Also, they placed their supporters sections in those areas - bad move. The Fury used to have their supporter's section with the rest of the fans in the section right next to the goal line, and it really fed the rest of the crowd when we got going.

Unfortunately, two years ago they decided to make a separate section for supporters on portable bleachers right behind one of the goals, distancing them from rest of the crowd and not as easy to hear. The supporters' presence has visibly dwindled since then and the atmosphere of the stadium of those first years is now gone.

The only reasons I can think of for them shooting themselves in the foot like that was because some parents complained about the language coming out of the section, and Fury ownership thinking they could get more money for those seats by not offering them to supporters.

3 hours ago, Initial B said:

Argh, those seating arrangements aren't going to work. The sections of seats that go behind the goal line will just make spectators feel away from the action. If they still talked to the Fury ownership they would know this. Also, they placed their supporters sections in those areas - bad move. The Fury used to have their supporter's section with the rest of the fans in the section right next to the goal line, and it really fed the rest of the crowd when we got going.

Unfortunately, two years ago they decided to make a separate section for supporters on portable bleachers right behind one of the goals, distancing them from rest of the crowd and not as easy to hear. The supporters' presence has visibly dwindled since then and the atmosphere of the stadium of those first years is now gone.

The only reasons I can think of for them shooting themselves in the foot like that was because some parents complained about the language coming out of the section, and Fury ownership thinking they could get more money for those seats by not offering them to supporters.

Agree with you that the three sections that are at either end and behind the end lines will be quite painful. As the Fury have shown, the sight lines from those types of sections in a CFL stadium are extremely poor.

That being said, in this type of setting, I still think you need to put the supporters' group at the end. When the Ottawa Supporters were in section W, I know the swearing and other didn't bother me, but getting a ticket in section X, Y and Z automatically meant that you had an obstructed view (if any view at all with flags) of the action.

I think it's fair to make a section general admission and let people know that people will be standing, chanting, waving flags, etc., but that shouldn't impede the visibility from other sections in the stadium, which section W absolutely did, and what moving supporters closer in Winnipeg would likely do.

TD Place, Ottawa, has a terrible looking field when seeing games on TV. I was reminded of this Friday watching the Ticats Grey Cup chances get diminished (lost game and injury). It seems so dark and the turf looks either wet or even like it has snowed. Anyone know why this is? How does it look when watching at the stadium?

Official Stadium plans

http://canpl.ca/video/york-9-fc-unveils-stadiums-plans-for-2019-and-beyond

YORK-Map-730x453.jpg

Year 1 

Alumni Field

we’ll temporarily be at Alumni Field, where we’ll build an experience that’s very close to what people will see from a viewing standpoint of what they’ll see at Lions Stadium

Alumni Field is located a kilometer northwest of York Lions Stadium. York 9 will play its games at its temporary venue until the conversion and its accompanying renovations are completed.

With renovations expected to run through spring and summer with the hope of York 9 moving into York Lions Stadium for the final stretch of home matches, the club also has ambitious plans to build its own soccer-specific CPL stadium.

YORK-Stadium-730x453.jpg

Alumni-Field-Rendering-Oct-15-2018-730x5

Year 2 & 3

York Lions Stadium 

• 8,000-seat multi-purpose stadium is being replaced with a new turf playing surface that will host games midway through 2019
  • It will be as close to Tier 1 as you can get with temporary grandstands
  • In addition to creating an intimate soccer-viewing experience, the club says its periphery niceties, including a sizeable craft beer and food truck selection, will appeal to its supporters.

“We’re creating a small craft beer festival every game for people to enjoy,” Ganzhorn explained. “We think it will be appealing to the university crowd and all sports enthusiasts within York Region.

“We want to create something that speaks to that millennial but also is relevant to the true soccer fan. It’s about creating the combination of an inviting environment, where there’s something for everybody, and developing something special on the pitch in a way that’s authentic in order to create good football viewing.”

Encircled by craft beer tents and a variety of food truck options, the south end of York Lions Stadium will act as a standing-room area for the club’s more rambunctious supporter groups. The north end of the stadium will feature a more relaxed beer garden in front of corporate suites.

York-2-1-730x511.jpg

• Both ends are flanked by Corner Kick Executive Suites the club says are a first-of-their-kind in Canada, featuring bar service, tables and 20 pitch-facing seats.
  • The Club Seats behind each bench are for season seat members who prefer to reserve their own chairs for every fixture.

York-3-730x511.jpg

• The west stand’s second deck features premium and corporate partner suites that have access to a private indoor club and washrooms. And, for those interested in looking down on the action, a second GA seating level rests atop the press box and partner suites.

YORK-LionsStadium-730x453.jpg

Beyond Year 3

“We’re looking to build a 12-15,000 seat stadium that will truly bring the best experience to our fans. In the meantime, we have a great accessible option at York University that’s close to transit. The future is bright for York 9 as we move towards our own soccer specific stadium.”

*we've seen this online

jlkctuh55bx01.jpg

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Plans look great.  I hope they get the fanbase required to fund it.

They will invest upfront if we're talking about the York University plans, you're right if you're talking about the Vaughan stadium. 

Edited by Ansem

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It was more about the long term.  Club ownership of soccer specific stadiums across the country will be a huge indicator that CPL has matured into a stable league.

Long term, have many clubs suggested they are planning for soccer specific stadiums? I don't imagine Rugby Canada will get kicked out of Westhills Stadium anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Long term, have many clubs suggested they are planning for soccer specific stadiums? I don't imagine Rugby Canada will get kicked out of Westhills Stadium anytime soon.

Long term, clubs need to have control of their own stadium. "Soccer specific" does not, IMO, mean other teams or events cannot use the facility. It means that the design of the stadium prioritizes soccer AND the club controls ancillary revenue.

Westhills is a municipal facility, and in the long-term, PFC should take over RAP with a deal like the one for Memorial Arena IMO. Get a long-term lease and renovate or build a new stadium where the team controls all revenue streams.

When we played in Estonia way back when, I felt that the stadium in Tallinn would be perfect for a Canadian team.  

It was right around 10000 seats at the time, and watching the game on SportsNet I thought I heard one of the talking heads mentioned it was $45M to build.  I feel that is the sort of price range Canadian cities are likely to find palatable.

Apparently that stadium was increased to 15000 to host the UEFA Super Cup game between the two big Madrid teams in August.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/estonia/tallinn_lillekula.shtml

On 10/26/2018 at 8:22 AM, ted said:

Long term, clubs need to have control of their own stadium. "Soccer specific" does not, IMO, mean other teams or events cannot use the facility. It means that the design of the stadium prioritizes soccer AND the club controls ancillary revenue.

Westhills is a municipal facility, and in the long-term, PFC should take over RAP with a deal like the one for Memorial Arena IMO. Get a long-term lease and renovate or build a new stadium where the team controls all revenue streams.

I agree that RAP has always been the best place to watch a game in Victoria. It's a good location near the heart of the city, and it's been home to some great events in the past. But they've committed to Westhills, and I don't see why anyone would invest in stadium expansion if it's only a temporary arrangement with PFC? They're the reason for expansion. Westhills does have the advantage of being accessible to people coming from Greater Victoria, as well as communities up island, and they've certainly been pushing for that regional support.  I know the Highlanders have moved around a lot, but that hasn't been overwhelmingly successful for them. It makes it challenging for fans to build a relationship, and for potential business partnerships to emerge. I suppose we'll see just how temporary renovations are, but I think moving the team away from the community that facilitated your emergence could be really damaging. Particularly in the early years.

Edited by C2SKI