CPL Stadium Thread

If this is the end goal for the stadium, I'd be very disappointed. That's with the terrible location and gimmicky cavalry concepts. It looks like the owners know little to nothing about football fans.

A better option would have to scrap all current stands, rotate the pitch 90 degrees and then build around it. The club house would then have a Highbury feel.

Edited by PopePouri

If you check out Google Earth there is a building in place where the main block of covered seats is shown on the right, so it's not clear whether they intend to replace that building completely or use seating inside it with a view through large glass windows that appear to be in place. If the latter, I question how the capacity can possibly be more than 3000 or so at this point given the limited space used for seating behind both goals and the absence of a large set of bleachers in front of the "officers club".

41 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

If this is the end goal for the stadium, I'd be very disappointed. That's with the terrible location and gimmicky cavalry concepts. It looks like the owners know little to nothing about football fans.

A better option would have to scrap all current stands, rotate the pitch 90 degrees and then build around it. The club house would then have a Highbury feel.

This. 

I appreciate their effort to bring the CPL to Calgary, but some stuff they've done so far really astounds me. It's all very frustrating. I am just coming around to the whole idea of Spruce Meadows and I have accepted it, but the whole military thing is so painful, manufactured and fake that it's really hard for me to get excited about the club. If Calagry was a military city, and the military was a visable part of the identity, I guess I would have little issue with it, much like I have no issue with Halifax playing up the ocean connection. Ironically, Halifax has greater military importance than Calgary does lol. I have to laugh at it all, I guess it's how I deal with the disappointment right now.

Edited by Obinna

On 11/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, CDNFootballer said:

CPL Stadium Capacities :

Hamilton Forge FC....................10000 (soccer configuration)

Winnipeg Valour FC..................10000 (soccer configuration)

York 9 FC...................................8000

Calgary Cavalry FC....................6000

Halifax Wanderers FC................6500

FC Edmonton............................5100

Pacific FC..................................5000 (8000 post pole removal in 2020 planned)

Updated Hamilton Forge FC's figure to 10K with the information released in today's article :

https://canpl.ca/video/forge-fc-bringing-unique-elements-of-soccer-culture-to-revamped-tim-hortons-field

Calgary Cavalry FC seems like it will be more towards the 5K capacity mark, not 7k, from the looks of things but the other clubs listed figures seem pretty much accurate at this point.

Edited by CDNFootballer

On 11/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The colours are okay. So is the font choice. The problem is not the graphic, it is the content. 

How can anyone seriously think about stands that way, stuck out miles away from a field. It is insulting to soccer fans that they actually think that was a decent offering. 

Absolutely. Like the hell is going with Battlefield Corner 1? Who would sit there? And that's at the highest price range?

Edited by El Diego

Battlefield corner is a great spot to watch the play develop as the scout wins the ball in friendly territory, passes it off to the tank corps in the middle of the pitch, who evade the enemy in the trenches before lobbing it behind enemy lines to the sniper who kills it into the net.  

Apologies to fans in Calgary, but I've got my least favourite CPL team now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

Construction underway on new soccer stadium at Spruce Meadows ahead of CPL launch

"A grandstand has been demolished at Spruce Meadows as the show jumping field is being transformed to host the Cavalry Football Club of the new Canadian Premier League.

The main stand on the east side of the ‘Meadows on the Green’ will be covered and have seating for 4,000 fans while additional seating areas will offer another 2,000 seats. "

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/construction-underway-on-new-soccer-stadium-at-spruce-meadows-ahead-of-cpl-launch-1.4232797

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

We have too many active threads as this has already been posted elsewhere. Am I right in thinking that a building down one side of the field is being bulldozed on the east side to make way for the covered stand? 

Hmmmm...actually we have too many active threads with you regurgitating the same old shit over and over. How about you give your mouth a rest for the rest of this year and maybe let your brain catch up.

3 hours ago, longlugan said:

Hmmmm...actually we have too many active threads with you regurgitating the same old shit over and over. How about you give your mouth a rest for the rest of this year and maybe let your brain catch up.

2 hours ago, RS said:

How is this shit helpful?

Come on RS, you were thinking the exact same thing.  

On 11/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you check out Google Earth there is a building in place where the main block of covered seats is shown on the right, so it's not clear whether they intend to replace that building completely or use seating inside it with a view through large glass windows that appear to be in place....

This was an earlier post I was referring back to with the above comment. It looks like that building is gone now in the TV news story, but they seem to have a strange set of columns obstructing the view of the spectators in the renderings that are shown that looks kind of like what was in place with the building, so wasn't 100% sure it isn't some sort of reconfiguration they already tended to do anyway when appropriate for show jumping.

3 hours ago, Sébastien said:

The one thing that really hit me was the pillars in front of the main grandstand. Considering the ticket prices, an obstructed view is unfortunate.

Its great having the roof over the main 4K grandstand but yeah, pillars not the greatest design. Hopefully they change it before completion, but would take the roof with pillars over no roof.

Good to see work beginning on this Calgary CPL venue with the season starting in about 3 months things are on the go for this Calgary CPL venue good for Calgary. However, went by York University today and if York 9 are playing, for those familiar with York University at the stadium just by Steeles Ave. , and visible as you drive by York University on Steeles ,  nothing seems to be happening there with just about 3 months to go before the season starts , I think from what I’ve read York 9 is adding stands to that stadium and putting some temporary upgrades to that stadium , hopefully work begins soon , 3 months can fly by pretty quickly.

Edited by 1996

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Obinna said:

This. 

I appreciate their effort to bring the CPL to Calgary, but some stuff they've done so far really astounds me. It's all very frustrating. I am just coming around to the whole idea of Spruce Meadows and I have accepted it, but the whole military thing is so painful, manufactured and fake that it's really hard for me to get excited about the club. If Calagry was a military city, and the military was a visable part of the identity, I guess I would have little issue with it, much like I have no issue with Halifax playing up the ocean connection. Ironically, Halifax has greater military importance than Calgary does lol. I have to laugh at it all, I guess it's how I deal with the disappointment right now.

I guess that the Military Museums must be just the same as Calvary FC. ?

Sorry, Calgary has been as part of the cities identity. Hard to ignore given that CFB Calgary used to occupy a large portion of the city including some land along the Bow River.

Even the old home of Calgary soccer has military ties (Sorry, but its not Foothills).

You cant erase that fact no matter how hard you try.

Edited by DoyleG

6 hours ago, 1996 said:

Good to see work beginning on this Calgary CPL venue with the season starting in about 3 months things are on the go for this Calgary CPL venue good for Calgary. However, went by York University today and if York 9 are playing, for those familiar with York University at the stadium just by Steeles Ave. , and visible as you drive by York University on Steeles ,  nothing seems to be happening there with just about 3 months to go before the season starts , I think from what I’ve read York 9 is adding stands to that stadium and putting some temporary upgrades to that stadium , hopefully work begins soon , 3 months can fly by pretty quickly.

To be fair, I went by Westhills a couple of days ago and nothing hasn't been started on expansion for Pacific FC either.