CPL Stadium Thread

On 9/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, SuperCanuck said:

Does anyone know when Cavalry and/or Pacific are going to start putting spades in the ground?  There's not much time to get anything ready before next spring.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca

Spruce Meadows seems to be coming along nicely. I walked around Westhills last week and I still struggle to envision it as a proper stadium. I look forward to watching those renderings come to  life

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

Waitaminit - They're going to use this field for showjumping *and* soccer? I don't think most soccer players want to worry about stepping on road apples...

I was wondering the same thing, but literally have no idea how much a pitch would get damaged by a show jumping competition, as compared to football or rugby...

Anyone a show jumping enthusiast with insight on this board?

6 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

I was wondering the same thing, but literally have no idea how much a pitch would get damaged by a show jumping competition, as compared to football or rugby...

Might not be too bad.

PS: I still refuse to beleive this is real.  It's right in line with flat earthers. 

On 9/13/2018 at 2:10 PM, Sébastien said:

I seem remember, in the midst of the TFC fans meltdown about the Argos moving, an interview with the field caretaker of one of the big London stadiums saying soccer was actually tougher on the grass than football. I think due to sharp turns versus running straight up and down? I'll see if I can find it.

Horses would have to be worse though. 

Stupid question, do we know for sure that this is a render of the stadium they will use? The questions about the track are making me wonder. Is it possible they just took some other picture and put some York 9 and Canada flags in it?

I hope that's what the stadium looks like in year 1, I'm just making sure we aren't jumping to conclusions.

It appears to be a render, if you go on google maps, and look at the stadium from the northeast facing southwest, the road / forest matches the bottom left corner of that picture.  Making the existing stands the far side of the field in the picture,  and the close side stands sitting on the track. The wide concrete looking strip on the far side of the field would be the track on that side. 

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7767349,-79.5051951,213a,35y,210.56h,43.92t/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by Tigers

10 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

6,000-8,000 seats total after Expansion 

Thanks. Another thing in the render is that you have field-side stands on either side of the benches, few rows, as if you had a rather exclusive, higher priced section.

Which would, in any case, block the view of the fans 15 metres back in the lower rows of the main stand on that side. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks. Another thing in the render is that you have field-side stands on either side of the benches, few rows, as if you had a rather exclusive, higher priced section.

Which would, in any case, block the view of the fans 15 metres back in the lower rows of the main stand on that side. 

The main stand is raised off the ground a fair bit. I don’t think the extra seating in front will block the view.

18567203411_f15e8df5c7_b.jpg

It might still be an issue judging from this picture, because the sideline has to be almost right up against the track given how narrow the grass field is and the seats are set a long way back at a fairly shallow angle .

01-07-2015-0299_xgaplus.jpg

I was surprised they opted for this stadium rather than the Ontario Soccer Centre. Grass and subway access are plus points obviously but the midfield is going to get very congested due to the narrow pitch and that can kill the game as a spectacle.

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

18567203411_f15e8df5c7_b.jpg

It might still be an issue judging from this picture, because the sideline has to be almost right up against the track given how narrow the grass field is and the seats are set a long way back at a fairly shallow angle .

01-07-2015-0299_xgaplus.jpg

I was surprised they opted for this stadium rather than the Ontario Soccer Centre. Grass and subway access are plus points obviously but the midfield is going to get very congested due to the narrow pitch and that can kill the game as a spectacle.

Ben from York9 has previously said that they will be removing the tracks. The field can then be whatever dimension, with the stands going up to it light in the rendition.

Maybe they meant removing it from the equation in terms of setting up over the track, looks like the rendering may show a covering over the track down the sides?

Looks similar to what the OKC Energy do at Taft Stadium as seen in this video, setting up 2 rows of premium priced seating on the tracks and partly camofloging (sp) the track (skip to the 3 minute mark if your impatient) :

Edited by CDNFootballer