CPL Stadium Thread

Not sure if this has been brought but but for Winnipeg an ideal stadium to me would be some sort of hybrid of the allerus and Fargo dome just a couple hours south.They’re covered stadiums with 8300 seats (allerus) and 1200 ish seats (Fargo dome). Would be nice one day to have their own soccer specific stadium with a nice tight seating compared to IGF To make the place  look more intimidating and fun for the fans. 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:19 PM, Ngravs9 said:

Not sure if this has been brought but but for Winnipeg an ideal stadium to me would be some sort of hybrid of the allerus and Fargo dome just a couple hours south.They’re covered stadiums with 8300 seats (allerus) and 1200 ish seats (Fargo dome). Would be nice one day to have their own soccer specific stadium with a nice tight seating compared to IGF To make the place  look more intimidating and fun for the fans. 

This would be ideal scenario for Valour FC

Investors Group Field (33,000 seating capacity) is way too big 

Safe to say it would much better to have the team play at a 10,000 soccer specific stadium for example

Question is do Wade Miller & The Winnipeg Blue Bombers Organization want to build one or since they already have a venue they might be like “whatever” or hold off for now 

However if It’s a huge success attendance wise which deposits (1200+) are pointing towards that then why not consider it?

they would be the 3rd CFL owned and operated club 

But Ottawa - TD Place (24K) they use one side only and makes it okay

And Hamilton - Tim Horton’s Field (22K) Well they limit it to 14,000 and should be one of the strongest fan bases in the league 

45 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

...Question is do Wade Miller & The Winnipeg Blue Bombers Organization want to build one or since they already have a venue they might be like “whatever” or hold off for now...

Think the answer is known to be no, because the reason for the soccer team is to generate more opening dates and revenue for the existing 33,000 seat stadium.

I think the "elegant" solution for these larger stadiums is to do what Hamilton is doing (or at least what they have showed in the photos) and that is to put a nice cover over the seats in the upper section.

new_Forge-FC-Rendering-3-730x413.jpg

new_Forge-FC-Rendering-1-730x413.jpg

In the case of Investors Group Field it would probably be something like how the Seattle Sounders do it:

26687183060_99b3a87aeb_o.jpg

Edited by mpg_29

On 8/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, Ngravs9 said:

I feel that it would be bad for fans since they would feel that they would be even further from the pitch. You can't be super close to the action in a domed stadium.

10 hours ago, Tigers said:

Yeah, York lions stadium is grass.

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there"

Was trying to confirm if the new stadium York9 is planning to build will be grass and found this quote on their Stadium Profile page ....

On 8/24/2018 at 9:32 AM, Blackdude said:

I feel that it would be bad for fans since they would feel that they would be even further from the pitch. You can't be super close to the action in a domed stadium.

I know what you mean but this is a picture of what I was talking about. Doesn’t seem too far from the action imo. 

B14954F3-80DB-4860-95DB-9D6690FF41C0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

David Clanachan said “Approapiate venues is the hardest challenge when looking at expansion. Where do we play?”

...probably because most of the interested groups aren't keen on the level of financial outlay needed to build a Dean Court. The obvious exception was Joe Belan in Saskatoon, but even there the problem was obtaining the suitable piece of land from the municipality.

On 8/28/2018 at 1:16 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...probably because most of the interested groups aren't keen on the level of financial outlay needed to build a Dean Court. The obvious exception was Joe Belan in Saskatoon, but even there the problem was obtaining the suitable piece of land from the municipality.

For expansion clubs it wouldn’t be realistic 

But for teams who are gonna be a part of the launch season, if they sell out and get very good attendance then city council and investors can take notice

I’d say Pacific FC should build a Downtown stadium in Victoria

Cavalry FC should have the team closer to the city as opposed to all the way in the outskirts (SW)

FC Edmonton, well that’s a topic that’s been discussed before and continues to be a open dilemma

Ottawa, Hamilton, Winning are CFL owned and operated so they won’t go anywhere

Halifax looks well at the Wanderers Grounds with their modular set-up  

And York 9 already has plans 

Edited by Thomas

Just now, Blackjack15 said:

Dean Court - AFC Bournemouth 

Capacity: 11.000

These are the stadiums that I would like to see built in the future (Soccer specific)

David Clanachan said “Approapiate venues is the hardest challenge when looking at expansion. Where do we play?”

E167E974-DB85-4423-A01F-9FDDC90C6B21.jpeg

I know what you are saying, but it is still too flat, the stands have to be steeper, and the corners filled. These square stands: that is a throwback to an era of rudimentary engineering. Can anyone seriously argue that curving a corner is so difficult?

This is where I am going to watch Ballou play for Barça B this Saturday, built 35 years ago. Is this difficult architecture (and I admit that I do not like the short lower tier)?

El primer equipo entrena en el Miniestadi

Just now, Blackjack15 said:

At least one candidate for mayor has expressed this idea, though as a municipal project. I was surprised to hear the idea, but  basically he was saying that with Royal Athletic occupied in baseball configuration, Victoria needed a proper stadium facility.

I know because he told me. 

11 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm sure Pacific FC has some sort of long term deal with Langford, the city is putting a ton of money into the stadium

You'd think they have at least a 3 year lease, maybe 5. Should be contingent on Langford doing the full expansion to 8K with roof on the new sideline grandstand that was shown on the side the lamp post is now. Once that config is complete the stadium will suffice for many years. Maybe in 5-10 years Victoria has a downtown 10K stadium Pacific FC moves into but don't see it happening sooner than that.

On August 28, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Blackjack15 said:

For expansion clubs it wouldn’t be realistic 

But for teams who are gonna be a part of the launch season, if they sell out and get very good attendance then city council and investors can take notice

Cavalry FC should have the team closer to the city as opposed to all the way in the outskirts (SW)

FC Edmonton, well that’s a topic that’s been discussed before and continues to be a open dilemma

Ottawa, Hamilton, Winning are CFL owned and operated so they won’t go anywhere

Halifax looks well at the Wanderers Grounds with their modular set-up  

And York 9 already has plans 

Calgary's location is perfect. The biggest communities in Calgary are being built in the SE and Spruce Meadows is close to Okotoks.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:06 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know what you are saying, but it is still too flat, the stands have to be steeper, and the corners filled. These square stands: that is a throwback to an era of rudimentary engineering. Can anyone seriously argue that curving a corner is so difficult?

This is where I am going to watch Ballou play for Barça B this Saturday, built 35 years ago. Is this difficult architecture (and I admit that I do not like the short lower tier)?

El primer equipo entrena en el Miniestadi

The corners have to be filled?  That's a matter of opinion.  Some people prefer "throwback" stadiums with soul and character over bowls that all look the same.  I remember the good old days being able to tell instantly (without looking at centre ice) which NHL rink a game was played in,  but now they all look the same.  For me, it's the same with football grounds.  Other than having more seats (which won't be a pressing issue in the CPL for a few years at least), there's no advantage of having a cookie-cutter stadium.

Edited by SuperCanuck