Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Something hilarious about making an entire graphic to basically say 👇this man STINKS

Hope he’s a triple citizen- it would be crazy doing a The Decision and then not being good enough for either team.

I still die of laughter that Panini made card for him for their Prizm set for the World Cup

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Headline: Three Liga MX clubs are interested in signing Marcelo Flores this summer, according to a report.

Article: Speculation in the media has linked Chivas, Necaxa, and Atletico San Luis with the youngster, though the rumours currently seem to be largely based on perceived cryptic clues from the player’s father on social media.

oh

There are a few other articles from non mainstream football sites having headlines like
'
Arsenal: Marcelo Flores can step up for Balogun' and
'The millionaire salary that Chivas could pay Marcelo Flores'.

He's got a great hype man who knows how to get some publicity, that' s for sure.

Edited by SirBobsaget

On 5/21/2023 at 9:48 PM, SirBobsaget said:

Headline: Three Liga MX clubs are interested in signing Marcelo Flores this summer, according to a report.

Article: Speculation in the media has linked Chivas, Necaxa, and Atletico San Luis with the youngster, though the rumours currently seem to be largely based on perceived cryptic clues from the player’s father on social media.

oh

There are a few other articles from non mainstream football sites having headlines like
'

He's got a great hype man who knows how to get some publicity, that' s for sure.

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

On 5/21/2023 at 9:48 PM, SirBobsaget said:

oh

'

I think daddy is trying to salvage anything he hasn't already buried to the ground.

Feel bad for the kid.

That's the great thing about sports compared to any other profession. You can build yourself up to be the greatest, but at some point you're going to have to prove it.

He's gotten minutes in Spanish 2nd tier. Probably has not done worse than Corbeanu, to compare. So it is not bad. IMO he should put his head down and keep at it, look for another, similar loan, and go another season.

This LigaMX business seems just trying to short-cut, which of course does not work.

Related, his Wiki and Transfermarkt say he's 1.64, which is 5'4" and a half, while I saw something else that said 1.71, over 5'7". If he's had a growth spurt of sorts then he has enough frame to fill out and his smallness would become a lesser factor.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Hopefully, this serves as a learning experience for other player who want to rush their decision. He still would've had this opportunity and been on their U23, if he hadn't rushed his decision so he could play 9 minutes against Suriname almost exactly one year ago and then never be called up after. So instead of playing at the U23 tournament and still having options, he's now just playing at the U23 tournament and hoping he gets another shot. If he was always deadset on Mexico then it's fine, but ditching your options for 9 minutes will definitely feel like a waste if he continues to not get a sniff of the senior squad.

I'm not upset he chose Mexico, I want players to play for who they feel a connection to, but maybe other players will see it and realize they should promote their own development and club skills first, rather than just being in a marketing push trying to get a cap which they'll eventually realize was a strategic one-off decision by the country rather than a justified and earned role that will continue beyond that single match

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's gotten minutes in Spanish 2nd tier. Probably has not done worse than Corbeanu, to compare. So it is not bad. IMO he should put his head down and keep at it, look for another, similar loan, and go another season.

He seemed to be getting regular playing time during the first half of the season, although it was apparently only 25% of the available minutes, and Arsenal were not happy about it. In the second half of the season, he only played a single match for a total of 57 minutes. That's clearly not good for his development.

I wonder if that lack of playing time was due to his playing ability or if there were other issues off the pitch. There doesn't seem to be much out there in the English language press.

Unless there is a team that's willing to guarantee him some playing time then Mexico might not be a bad choice.

9 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

He seemed to be getting regular playing time during the first half of the season, although it was apparently only 25% of the available minutes, and Arsenal were not happy about it. In the second half of the season, he only played a single match for a total of 57 minutes. That's clearly not good for his development.

I wonder if that lack of playing time was due to his playing ability or if there were other issues off the pitch. There doesn't seem to be much out there in the English language press.

Unless there is a team that's willing to guarantee him some playing time then Mexico might not be a bad choice.

Thanks for clearing that up, he clearly had poor minutes these last few months. I must have looked at that one game report and thought he was playing more. 

Oviedo are a great team, lovely city, nice stadium, but were not clear of relegation mid season, then had a bit of a run and pushed for promotion even. But if you look, they never won by more than a goal, and spent half the season winning or losing 1-0 or drawing at 1, that is maybe 60% of their results.  If Marcelo had been a bit of a spark they would have put him on late but it seems he was not seen that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, Joe1973 said:

Reviews are not good from that Maurice Revello tournament. He's only 19 but sentiment has soured quite a bit and general feedback is that the media completely overhyped him to the fans.

Wow.

https://www.foxsports.com.mx/2023/06/09/prensa-internacional-se-desvive-por-marcelo-flores-en-el-torneo-maurice-revello-sera-un-rival-temible/

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yeah the fan sentiment described in the last part of that article is pretty clear. Read an article not long ago about how impressive it was that he's already capped by Mexico loll. Clearly they have no idea of the context as to why 😅

Mexico will be playing in the final of the Maurice Revello Tournament after beating France in a shootout after a 2-2 draw.  It looks like Marcelo Flores and Jonathan Perez were subbed in at the 96th minute to take penalties.  Perez scored the 5th and winning penalty for Mexico.  To add to Marcelo's recent struggles, he shot 4th and was the only Mexican player unable to convert their penalty.

Just watched the highlights and he skied it about 15 feet over the crossbar.  One of the worst penalties I’ve seen and it doesn’t appear that there was any slip on the shot or divot from the spot.

The tweets are not good but some are quite funny.  

https://t.co/kMADSlsN0M

Edited by Corazon

On one hand, after all the hype and drama created by mostly his father and the fact he turned his back on his country of birth that gave his family a better life, the fact he is struggling and the Mexican fans have turned on him as we have always said they would makes me happy.  On the other hand, I feel for him as I think he has been a victim of that hype as still a young immature kid who probably doesn’t have the mental fortitude or skills at this point in his life to deal with the pressure that all of this has put on him by his father, family, Mexicans, etc and is struggling big time professionally and as a result personally as well which I hope doesn’t crush him for the rest of his life.  That has certainly happened before.

I want him to fail for Mexico as they are a rival but I really don’t want the kid to crumble under the weight of parental expectation like a Lensky.  

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

On one hand, after all the hype and drama created by mostly his father and the fact he turned his back on his country of birth that gave his family a better life, the fact he is struggling and the Mexican fans have turned on him as we have always said they would makes me happy.  On the other hand, I feel for him as I think he has been a victim of that hype as still a young immature kid who probably doesn’t have the mental fortitude or skills at this point in his life to deal with the pressure that all of this has put on him by his father, family, Mexicans, etc and is struggling big time professionally and as a result personally as well which I hope doesn’t crush him for the rest of his life.  That has certainly happened before.

I want him to fail for Mexico as they are a rival but I really don’t want the kid to crumble under the weight of parental expectation like a Lensky.  

I don't want to see anyone fail, but as I said before, you can manufacture a lot of hype, but in sports there's a time where you have to go out there and prove it, and so far he has failed to do so.

I think he should have waited, realistically he hasn't proven he could be selected for Canada or Mexico's squad. He reminds me of Tabla, I could see him in CPL in a few years.