Cyle Larin

shermanator

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

Invisible. I remember him trying one low percentage shot that was wild. That's it really.

Unsurprising. Let's see what his form is like next match. No doubt the DUI has affected him mentally. It is a good mental challenge for a young player to face early in his career.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is there a transparent process around this bidding/buying?  Genuine question - I have no idea.  It just always seems like a fait accompli that the US will host.

All federations are allowed to submit bids to host. If two or more federations bid then the CONCACAF members vote on the best bid. The US is the only country that bids and as their bid is always going to send more money to the poor Caribbean members that make-up 60% of CONCACAF, the US will always win regardless.

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is there a transparent process around this bidding/buying?  Genuine question - I have no idea.  It just always seems like a fait accompli that the US will host.

I haven't seen any public docs but it seems when the issue comes up the us are the only ones willing to pay for it. I know cause several parties including reps from a pair of fas went into with me. The cost of hosting turns fas off

Edited by matty

9 minutes ago, matty said:

I haven't seen any public docs but it seems when the issue comes up the us are the only ones willing to pay for it. I know cause several parties including reps from a pair of fas went into with me. The cost of hosting turns fas off

I just find it odd that they would regularly pay for it, lose money, and then disperse any gate revenue to all the CONCACAF federations.   Based on my admittedly biased view of the US, that seems unlikely.

13 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

All federations are allowed to submit bids to host. If two or more federations bid then the CONCACAF members vote on the best bid. The US is the only country that bids and as their bid is always going to send more money to the poor Caribbean members that make-up 60% of CONCACAF, the US will always win regardless.

Again, I see this as an argument for a mandated rotation if other countries are interested in hosting.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just find it odd that they would regularly pay for it, lose money, and then disperse any gate revenue to all the CONCACAF federations.   Based on my admittedly biased view of the US, that seems unlikely.

Again, I see this as an argument for a mandated rotation if other countries are interested in hosting.

To the first point, the US doesn't lose money hosting. They make a good amount. Any other country that hosted would probably lose money, as the infrastructure isn't prepared and the domestic media deals aren't lucrative enough to offset costs.

To your second point, why would CONCACAF mandate a rotation when almost every country wants the tournament in the US. Mandating a rotation would require a vote to pass; that vote stands no chance. Mexico has stated that they have no interest in hosting (hell, 80% of their friendlies are in the US nowadays) while Central America/the Caribbean don't have the infrastructure to ever host, have sizable populations in the US, and get the biggest check they can possibly get from the tournament.

We just happen to root for the only country in CONCACAF that could potentially gain from the Gold Cup rotating. 

Edited by harrycoyster

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

IIRC there is good reason to doubt that the tournament would be profitable in most associations, but the US turns a good profit that is partially dispersed throughout CONCACAF. It's not a case of the US bullying (really, if it wasn't good for the Carribean they'd find a way to force it to change) 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting if true.  Think it would be good if Larin went there while Atiba was still playing for Besiktas,  Cyle is still young and capable of making poor decisions so having a countryman on the squad, especially of Hutch's pedigree and character would be good for Cyle as he adjusts to living in a new country and playing in a much tougher environment.  Couple good years there and then the big 3 await.

http://www.fanatik.com.tr/2017/07/19/besiktas-in-yeni-hedefi-cyle-larin-1308138

"The Black-and-White started a search for the name the experienced footballer pointed out. Kartal is at the end of the year at the end of the contract, the 22-year-old golfer can transfer to the color free transfer during the transfer period.

Your young goal, It is stated that Beşiktaş will be able to link this futbolcuyu free to its colors during the intermediate transfer period due to the end of the contract at the end of the year." 

From what I can gather from Google Translate, this and other recent articles indicate that Besiktas is looking into bringing Cyle on as a free transfer during the next transfer period as they believe that is when his MLS contract is ending.  

As we know Cyle signed a 3 year deal + 2 club options for 2018, 2019 that may or may not be valid.  

http://www.aksam.com.tr/spor/forvet-arayislarini-surduren-besiktas-izleyecegi-yol-haritasini-bugun-ciziyor/haber-645407

This one is from today.

"The Black-and-White team is planning to link up with the Canadian football colors of the 22-year-old. After 5 months of contracting the club, the Black Eagle, who plans to transfer the young scorer without the testimonial, expects the footballer to terminate his contract with the club. Looking at President Fikret Orman as "The Future Project" Larin is one of the most successful names in Canadian Football in the last period."

14 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If I've learned anything from following world football for the past 20 years, it's to never trust Spanish media until the teams' release official statements. 

Be careful what you say about Spain. @Unnamed Trialist will get ya