Cyle Larin

shermanator

16 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

The lady only wanted her medical bills covered but Macdonalds laughed at her. She was harassed by people who believed the media spin for the rest of her remaining years.  Need to stop quoting this as a frivolous lawsuit case. Look into the facts. This lady was vilified by giant corporation now 25 years later people still spout the BS.

As for Larin, very disappointing judgement. 

I totally agree! I remember when it happened how everyone believed she was just in it for the money. It wasn't until a few years ago that I stumbled upon the true story and was horrified by what actually happened.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

The Return of Litterbox, the telepathic alien fly;

Litterbox;

"Long time no see!"

Cheeta;

"Geezus! Shit, man.  You scared the Hell out of me!"

Litterbox;

"You knew I was coming.  Sent you a text weeks ago."

Cheeta;

"Yeah, yeah.  Forgot.  Lost track of time but I'll be honest with you.  With all the shootings going on down south wasn't sure you could cross the border.  But glad to see you old friend."

Litterbox;

"I'm a fly.  From an alien world.  Crossing international borders on Earth is a joke.  Now getting to Winnipeg from Florida with these little wings?  I don't think so.  Hitched a ride on a jet this AM."

Cheeta;

"Forgot you were down there.  Hey!   You hear Cyle Larin got busted on a DUI in Florida?!."

Litterbox;

"Hear it?  I was there.  But listen, you want the dirt on Trump and his flunkies or what?  This is some next level shit.."

Cheeta;

"YOU WHERE THERE?"

Litterbox;

"sigh....Really?  You know we were just out clubbing. Sharing some time with the ladies and got a bit careless.  No harm done thankfully but yeah, sure, CL messed up.  Going to have to take his lumps and learn his lesson.  But listen, this Trump shit is inter-stellar.  And it's all set to go KA-BOOM.  I'm telling you, you're not going to ....."

Cheeta;

Litterbox:

"I should have know."

Larin;

"Evening officer!."

Copper;

"Evening, sir.  Do you realize you were driving the wrong way down the street?"

Larin;

"Hoo!  Really?  Certainly explains all those ASSHOLES swerving around me!"

Copper;

"I just want to mention at this point that you are a person of colour and I haven't pointed my sidearm at you yet during this after sunset traffic stop."

Larin;

"' 'ppreciate that!  Hmm.  Must be the BMW.  But, uh...this red dot flashing into my eye?"

Copper;

" Oh, that's my partner by the cruiser.  CHUCK!  IT'S OK.  HE AIN'T LOCAL.  GOT SOME SORT OF QUEER YANKEE ACCENT!"

Larin;

"Canadian.  Canadian accent."

Copper:

*snicker*  "That a fact?  Didn't realize you folks drive on the left side of the road up there?  Doesn't matter if you do or don't I'm still going to have to write you up for driving the wrong way down the street.  Oh.  And sir, in the future you're going to want to put open liquor bottles in the trunk of your car.  Doesn't matter if that vodka bottle is mostly empty it's against the law here in Florida to have open liquor on your lap while driving.  What brings you to Florida, sir?"

Larin;

"Me?  I'm down here playing soccer.  Pro-soccer.  That's how I make my living."

Copper;

"Yeah?"

Larin;

"Yes, sir."

Copper;

"Suppose..supposing you're a STAR STRIKER or something."

Larin;

" Yes, sir.  Best they got if I say so myself.."

Copper;

"...

"So let me see if I got this straight.  You're a Canadian, playing professional soccer in these United States and you are your teams star striker?  Is that right?"

Larin;

"Bingo."

Copper;

"Boy, GET YOUR DRUNK ASS OUT OF THAT CAR!"

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

My wife's sister was killed by a drunk driver.  The idea of a "crime of morality" is a matter of perspective. 

I am sorry to hear that, and did hesitate to post.

The lawyer in me does have to say that crimes of moral turpitude is not really a matter of perspective in common law, and sometimes well defined - murder, kidnaping, robbery, and aggravated assaults etc. Our society does not like but basically accepts drunk driving - shameful as it is - if we didn't accept it, drunk drivers would go to jail for a first offence. They don't (notice no one has even mentioned that as a possible outcome for Cyle!). Or even a second offence. We only don't accept it when the unfortunate happens and someones is badly injured or killed. Even there, the sentences are relatively light. This is not to downplay, but just the facts.

Edit: Case in point, bail was set at $500. Pathetic.

Edited by BCM

As I see it, he is off our GC roster, sorry to say. He probably needs a rest anyways, I think these transfer rumours and not scoring for Canada are making him nervous, altering his judgement. 

BTW another thing that alters a young man's judgement is the women beside him in the car, funny no one mentioned that. You don't take a cab because you are 22 and have this hot car.

Only, if she's worth it, and may have been, she would have mentioned to him he was on the wrong side of the frigging road (now that you can't slide over anymore and open the lock on his door after he lets you in ;) )

But as many here, I understand it perfectly. I've done dumber ass stuff, actually. I was 18 and was taking a girl home in my mom's Nova, drunk, and accelerated into a highway, spinning all the way around to face oncoming traffic, which there wasn't any at that second. And she says, "I think you better drive more slowly". Sexiest thing a girl ever said to me).

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I see it, he is off our GC roster, sorry to say. He probably needs a rest anyways, I think these transfer rumours and not scoring for Canada are making him nervous, altering his judgement. 

BTW another thing that alters a young man's judgement is the women beside him in the car, funny no one mentioned that. You don't take a cab because you are 22 and have this hot car.

Only, if she's worth it, and may have been, she would have mentioned to him he was on the wrong side of the frigging road (now that you can't slide over anymore and open the lock on his door after he lets you in ;) )

But as many here, I understand it perfectly. I've done dumber ass stuff, actually. I was 18 and was taking a girl home in my mom's Nova, drunk, and accelerated into a highway, spinning all the way around to face oncoming traffic, which there wasn't any at that second. And she says, "I think you better drive more slowly". Sexiest thing a girl ever said to me).

To defend Cyle on his "I'm from Canada" line, I think he meant I don't know the roads here, not that in Canada we drive on the left.

38 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

To defend Cyle on his "I'm from Canada" line, I think he meant I don't know the roads here, not that in Canada we drive on the left.

Any guy who gets in trouble and immediately brings in his employer, his country, his city, and the girl he is with, would normally get a pretty negative rating from me. Not to mention barefaced lying to a cop.

Sure, I have done this shit, but it is the least noble thing you can do and shows poor character, even drunk. Even drunk or high you can shut up, be loyal, and show certain integrity.

So I am only half-laughing, I am mostly teed off with the guy, very bad show and incredibly irresponsible.

38 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

That had better not happen. He is potentially one of our best players. The CSA had better grow a pair and not let an American League dictate the availability of CANADIAN players for national team duty. I'm pretty sure that FIFA regulations require him to be released.

The only issue will be match fitness. But he should be able to keep his general fitness level up over 3 weeks, even if the CSA has to hire a trainer to work with him for an hour or two each day. As for match fitness, 3 weeks isn't that long. 30 mins in the 1st match, 60 mins in the second and third, and he will be firing on all cylinders for the knockout stage.

Sure, but does the CSA thinks it's a good idea to call up a player who would tell them that he wouldn't show up until the day before? (Because Larin would want to complete the program as soon as it's possible and delaying it would be a bad idea for him) 

And it's not like we have bad options at forward. I wouldn't mind going with Cavallini, Haber and Jackson-Hamel. Larin hasn't proven when he plays for us that he's that much better than the last 2. 

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

Cyle, brah, if you're reading this thread, you just keep motoring along. You'll get through this and be better than ever.

Glad to see someone supporting our player in the time they need it most. Half these dudes are acting like they were never 20 and made bad choices. Even Yaya Toure, a devoted muslim has a dui.

Cyle deserves to be at the Gold Cup, and leaving him out for this will only have a negative impact. 

Chile's Arturo Vidal loses licence for drunk driving after crashing Ferrari

A Chilean judge on Wednesday was lenient with Chile star midfielder Arturo Vidal, releasing him from jail the morning after Vidal crashed his red Ferrari on the outskirts of Santiago while driving under the influence of alcohol.

Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli said Vidal will play in Friday's Copa America match against Bolivia: "We shouldn't exclude someone just because they made a mistake."

Were talking an actual collision with his wife riding shotgun.

Sampaoli has the right idea in my opinion. He later goes on to talk about how he had the day off so he shouldn't be punished.

Edited by Fastfeet2

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

That had better not happen. He is potentially one of our best players. The CSA had better grow a pair and not let an American League dictate the availability of CANADIAN players for national team duty. I'm pretty sure that FIFA regulations require him to be released.

The only issue will be match fitness. But he should be able to keep his general fitness level up over 3 weeks, even if the CSA has to hire a trainer to work with him for an hour or two each day. As for match fitness, 3 weeks isn't that long. 30 mins in the 1st match, 60 mins in the second and third, and he will be firing on all cylinders for the knockout stage.

Maybe growing a pair in this case is upholding the suspension even though we could call him in. Perhaps it's time the CSA stopped bending over backwards for players and take a stand that they are representatives of our country. Not saying Canada soccer should turn their back on him, just tell him he's going to be a huge part of the program but this type of behaviour cannot happen and he will have to sit this one out.

Though my personal opinion is call him up, we finally have a good thing going and I'm a selfish fan who wants to see the best team on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Maybe growing a pair in this case is upholding the suspension even though we could call him in. Perhaps it's time the CSA stopped bending over backwards for players and take a stand that they are representatives of our country. Not saying Canada soccer should turn their back on him, just tell him he's going to be a huge part of the program but this type of behaviour cannot happen and he will have to sit this one out.

Though my personal opinion is call him up, we finally have a good thing going and I'm a selfish fan who wants to see the best team on the field. 

I dont think it's selfish wanting to see Cyle there. He is already being punished by the league and will have to deal with his legal punishment. Why would Canada feel the need to punish him further? 

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Sure, but does the CSA thinks it's a good idea to call up a player who would tell them that he wouldn't show up until the day before? (Because Larin would want to complete the program as soon as it's possible and delaying it would be a bad idea for him) 

And it's not like we have bad options at forward. I wouldn't mind going with Cavallini, Haber and Jackson-Hamel. Larin hasn't proven when he plays for us that he's that much better than the last 2. 

This is more of an argument for not starting him the first game rather  then not calling him at all -  our coaching staff should be preparing and planning and expecting to be able for our team to make a deep run in the tourney. Especially given   Zambrano's comments about our goals for this and every tourney we play in

https://twitter.com/CyleLarin/status/875702381677248512

Larin's apology. 

Personally I am in favour of his removal from the GC squad along with a statement that Cyle needs time to focus on getting better and reevaluating his decisions, and that he will be welcomed back with open arms after he completes rehabilitation. 

There's no excuse for DUI for someone his age, he went through the same Ontario curriculum that I'm sure the rest of the millennials on here did, and there is no way this was an act of stupidity alone. It was both stupid and selfish.

But he seems like the kind of person to be driven to be better every day, and he was lucky enough to have a fork in the road placed in front of him without anyone having to get hurt first. He needs to choose to be better, and I think everyone is better off trying to support that instead of vilifying (as a general statement, not saying this board has been doing that). 

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You can be resistant to what the messages are, or have personal problems that may have to be really dealt with. But no one can imply that the guy is  still young, made a silly mistake, could have a high alcohol tolerance (dumbest argument can't believe that is still being made) or basically let him off. 

FWIW I didn't think this was offered as an excuse, rather that with a BA level so high yet being (somewhat) functional, that he had built up alcohol tolerance, which suggests lots of practice.  

I felt it was more alarming in that it suggests that this is not a one-off, at least the drinking part.

11 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I am sorry to hear that, and did hesitate to post.

The lawyer in me does have to say that crimes of moral turpitude is not really a matter of perspective in common law, and sometimes well defined - murder, kidnaping, robbery, and aggravated assaults etc. Our society does not like but basically accepts drunk driving - shameful as it is - if we didn't accept it, drunk drivers would go to jail for a first offence. They don't (notice no one has even mentioned that as a possible outcome for Cyle!). Or even a second offence. We only don't accept it when the unfortunate happens and someones is badly injured or killed. Even there, the sentences are relatively light. This is not to downplay, but just the facts.

Edit: Case in point, bail was set at $500. Pathetic.

Even when bad things happen, we still don't punish the crime the way it should be. There was recently a sentencing in an Ontario case where a guy who destroyed a young family (killed a mother, maimed an infant, leaving the father to pick up the pieces) only got 7.5 years. And this is after he had previously been convicted of DUI and had his license suspended for a year.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/06/london-fatality-ahmed-darwish-who-killed-susana-dumitru-was-travelling-at-more-than-double-the-speed-limit-a-court-hears

I'm usually pretty liberal on most things, but I think a crime like this committed under the influence should be treated the same as if it was committed completely sober. In the end, the individual made a series of choices that lead to a tragic event and should be held fully accountable. 

I'm also put off by the people in this thread who are trying to normalize it by implying that most people have driven under the influence. Sorry, you're either part of a social circle of alcohol-dependents or you're not willing to face that the vast majority of people have never driven under the influence. Yes, we are not "without sin", but I can confidently say I've never committed a sin as serious as driving under the influence, just like I've never taken a gun, closed my eyes, and shot it in a random direction. We've all done dumb things when we were young, but there are degrees of stupidity and this type of thing is off the charts. Luckily, I think this problem is improving with newer generations as hopefully the messaging over the years is making an impact. 

/endrant

On Larin, I'm disappointed, but his apology said the right things (taking full responsibility). I hope he follows through.

Edited by kohanz

19 minutes ago, kohanz said:

Even when bad things happen, we still don't punish the crime the way it should be. There was recently a sentencing in an Ontario case where a guy who destroyed a young family (killed a mother, maimed an infant, leaving the father to pick up the pieces) only got 7.5 years. And this is after he had previously been convicted of DUI and had his license suspended for a year.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/06/london-fatality-ahmed-darwish-who-killed-susana-dumitru-was-travelling-at-more-than-double-the-speed-limit-a-court-hears

I'm usually pretty liberal on most things, but I think a crime like this committed under the influence should be treated the same as if it was committed completely sober. In the end, the individual made a series of choices that lead to a tragic event and should be held fully accountable. 

I'm also put off by the people in this thread who are trying to normalize it by implying that most people have driven under the influence. Sorry, you're either part of a social circle of alcohol-dependents or you're not willing to face that the vast majority of people have never driven under the influence. Yes, we are not "without sin", but I can confidently say I've never committed a sin as serious as driving under the influence, just like I've never taken a gun, closed my eyes, and shot it in a random direction. We've all done dumb things when we were young, but there are degrees of stupidity and this type of thing is off the charts. Luckily, I think this problem is improving with newer generations as hopefully the messaging over the years is making an impact. 

/endrant

On Larin, I'm disappointed, but his apology said the right things (taking full responsibility). I hope he follows through.

Are you suggesting vehicle manslaughter isnt the strongest punishment? Was this homicide premeditated? 

How can you say the vast majority of people have never driven under the influence at least once in their life?It takes 2hours for 1 drink to filter through your system, so anyone who has had 10 drinks in a night needs 20 hours to be completely alcohol free. I HIGHLY doubt every single person waits 13 14  hours into the next day to operate their vehicles. 

11 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Are you suggesting vehicle manslaughter isnt the strongest punishment? Was this homicide premeditated? 

How can you say the vast majority of people have never driven under the influence at least once in their life?It takes 2hours for 1 drink to filter through your system, so anyone who has had 10 drinks in a night needs 20 hours to be completely alcohol free. I HIGHLY doubt every single person waits 13 14  hours into the next day to operate their vehicles. 

I'm suggesting the sentences for this particular type of vehicular manslaughter should be longer, especially for a repeat offender.

I never said every single person is responsible, just that I believe the majority of people are responsible, so either they're not consuming 10+ drinks on a given night, or when they do, they're making sure they have transportation home and no driving to do the next morning. Of course there are people who do this irresponsibly, but to say "we've all been there" is a bit much.

Edited by kohanz

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Larin's apology. 

Personally I am in favour of his removal from the GC squad along with a statement that Cyle needs time to focus on getting better and reevaluating his decisions, and that he will be welcomed back with open arms after he completes rehabilitation. 

There's no excuse for DUI for someone his age, he went through the same Ontario curriculum that I'm sure the rest of the millennials on here did, and there is no way this was an act of stupidity alone. It was both stupid and selfish.

But he seems like the kind of person to be driven to be better every day, and he was lucky enough to have a fork in the road placed in front of him without anyone having to get hurt first. He needs to choose to be better, and I think everyone is better off trying to support that instead of vilifying (as a general statement, not saying this board has been doing that). 

Personally, I think everyone deserves a second chance to learn from their mistakes and become a better person. And I will support Larin going forward, and not vilify him as a result of his mistake. 

That said, if this happens a second time, my tune changes drastically.

If he is guilty then all we can do is hope that he learns from it and knock wood that nobody was injured as a result.

The insidious thing about booze is that you don't feel hammered when sitting down. You feel relaxed. The 0.18 is high but people metabolize alcohol over a vast scale. A lot of folks in Asia are "one drink wonders" because they don't have the enzyme to break down alcohol. One drink to them is a six pack to you and me.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

If he is guilty then all we can do is hope that he learns from it and knock wood that nobody was injured as a result.

The insidious thing about booze is that you don't feel hammered when sitting down. You feel relaxed. The 0.18 is high but people metabolize alcohol over a vast scale. A lot of folks in Asia are "one drink wonders" because they don't have the enzyme to break down alcohol. One drink to them is a six pack to you and me.

Just a pet peeve:

Your ability to "handle" alcohol and your ability to metabolise it are two separate properties. Metabolism and body mass affects the concentration, slightly more complicated pharmacology governs how people act at that blood concentration 

I'll stop now :P

Edited by Complete Homer

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Larin's apology. 

Not sure if it's entrepreneurial or savage that someone tweeted this comment promoting  their Uber code

2 hours ago, Oranje said:

Not sure if it's entrepreneurial or savage that someone tweeted this comment promoting  their Uber code

Lol, even I'd laugh and say well played to that individual if I was in Larin's shoes. I enjoy all forms of cheeky cleverness and nobody is immune to good old fashioned ball busting.

Edit: He's giving him $20 off the first ride as well. O__o

Edited by Macksam