Cyle Larin

shermanator

Recent interview from Larin after his return to the pitch:

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/i-have-to-gain-everyones-trust-back---orlando-striker-larin/1qe8weliygvcy1chhxzp7c7jm4

“I’ve learned a lot going away and taking time for myself. I think I’ve learned from the mistake and I won't ever do it again. Now, I’m ready to be back, help this team win and do something special with this organization.”

“I was nervous,” Larin told the Sentinel. “I hadn’t been in a situation like that before. Your whole life you do everything right and something happens by mistake and it's hard, but obviously I suffered the consequence for it and I did what I had to do.”

Larin said that while everyone from his teammates to his mother have been supportive, he realizes that he needs to work to ensure that a similar situation doesn't arise again. He told the Sentinel that he is not an alcoholic nor does he struggle with substance abuse.

“I have to gain everyone's trust back," he said. "I know it will take time and I have to perform on the field to do that and take care of myself off the field, too."

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

Very mature response from the 22 year old, aside from "something happens by mistake".

It was a "mistake" to drive on the wrong side of the road, but choosing to drive drunk was no "mistake".

It's great that Larin has been a smash success in MLS and it's exciting for Canada's prospects too. But what he says in interviews always seems a bit off to me. Perhaps this can simply be chalked up to his discomfort with giving interviews ... maybe he's just not very good at it. 

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

Very mature response from the 22 year old, aside from "something happens by mistake".

It was a "mistake" to drive on the wrong side of the road, but choosing to drive drunk was no "mistake".

I agree, though I wouldn't be surprised if he had answers prepared for him by Orlando. It's not what I would want him to see him say, but I'm not reading too much into it

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I agree, though I wouldn't be surprised if he had answers prepared for him by Orlando. It's not what I would want him to see him say, but I'm not reading too much into it

Yeah, from what I understand he is a super shy guy, so his delivery on these quotes might have to do with inexperience and a generally timid nature. I presume if he was being coached on what to say, they would have been telling him to say: "I made a mistake. I should never have done that. I am truly sorry. I don't do things like this and I never will again. I will work damned hard to regain the trust of my family, teammates and fans in Orlando and across Canada." He sort of said that, but also made a hash of it. The fact that he does not really own what he has done is what is alarming, if only because it MIGHT suggest denial and a larger problem. I suspect, however, that the real story is something else, that Larin is a young man who does not yet know how to admit when he is wrong. 

Edited by The Beaver

6 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Can someone clarify why its ok to call up players half way through the tournament

ConCaCaf set up this rule for the tournament and it might of been done to help out MLS from sending its top players early to the Gold Cup. Only those 40 players list can be called in after the group stage. I believe it is 6 players can be swapped out. Honestly I do hope it is removed in the future.

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

ConCaCaf set up this rule for the tournament and it might of been done to help out MLS from sending its top players early to the Gold Cup. Only those 40 players list can be called in after the group stage. I believe it is 6 players can be swapped out. Honestly I do hope it is removed in the future.

Didnt know MLS was getting special treatment from Concacaf. Ugly ugly ugly. And what happens to the guys swapped out if we lift the cup? Are 23 medals handed out or 29? 

Edited by Fastfeet2

9 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

IIRC it was a joint motion from Mexico and the US so that they could rest players who need time off for the beginning of the tournament, given they both jog through the group stage. It's not going to go away as long as the Gold Cup is held twice a cycle; there isn't enough at stake for the US and Mexico to care otherwise. They wouldn't send any star players to the Gold Cups not directly preceding the Confed Cup and hurt the tournament's bottom line.

54 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

This rule was introduced for the previous Gold Cup tourney, I believe.

CONCACAF: Hmm, the biggest problem with our biggest tournament is that only two teams ever win it. What could we do to fix this?

Outsider: Maybe it could be hosted somewhere that wouldn't be the home country for one of said teams and the de facto home country for the other said team.

CONCACAF: That's idiotic. How about instead we change the roster rules to their liking to increase their chances of winning instead.

Outsider: I hate you.

CONCACAF: Perfect. So it is settled then.

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

CONCACAF: Hmm, the biggest problem with our biggest tournament is that only two teams ever win it. What could we do to fix this?

Outsider: Maybe it could be hosted somewhere that wouldn't be the home country for one of said teams and the de facto home country for the other said team.

CONCACAF: That's idiotic. How about instead we change the roster rules to their liking to increase their chances of winning instead.

Outsider: I hate you.

CONCACAF: Perfect. So it is settled then.

To be fair in order for someone else to host it someone else needs to step up

On an interview on TSN 690 (MTL) Zambrano said he's open to recalling Larin and even said what he told Cyle personally when the DUI arrest occurred. Even if he made a mistake, not getting called up for the first 3 games serves as a learning experience and valuable lesson for him. He's so talented that it's hard not to ask for his services should Canada make it to the knock out stage 

Edited by Thomas

10 hours ago, matty said:

To be fair in order for someone else to host it someone else needs to step up

Sure, but CONCACAF could mandate it too. All CONCACAF would have to do would say that no nation can host consecutive Gold Cups. Then they would get other nations stepping up. There may be some short term pain in terms of less revenue, but I think longer term it would be good for the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Sure, but CONCACAF could mandate it too. All CONCACAF would have to do would say that no nation can host consecutive Gold Cups. Then they would get other nations stepping up. There may be some short term pain in terms of less revenue, but I think longer term it would be good for the tournament.

There would be significantly less revenue, due to the size of US stadiums and American TV deals, which in turn means that no Caribbean country outside of Cuba will ever vote against the US hosting. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Dude the us hosts because they buy the rights. Currently there is nothing blocking anyone else from buying them. There's a number of guys in the csa that want to host it but there's resistance due to cost.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

There would be significantly less revenue, due to the size of US stadiums and American TV deals, which in turn means that no Caribbean country outside of Cuba will ever vote against the US hosting. 

Thus the need for a mandated rotation.

The WC is not awarded to the same nation every 4 years on the basis of maximum profit.  Nor are the Euros.  Nor is any other regional championship that I know of.  Hell, even Oceanna rotates hosting duties, and they have arguably the strongest rationale for a fixed host location in NZ (and formerly Australia).

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Dude the us hosts because they buy the rights. Currently there is nothing blocking anyone else from buying them. There's a number of guys in the csa that want to host it but there's resistance due to cost.

Is there a transparent process around this bidding/buying?  Genuine question - I have no idea.  It just always seems like a fait accompli that the US will host.

To expand on my impression of Larin in last night's game, here are his stats on the Audi Index page on mlssoccer.com

Shots off goal (from inside the box) 1
Shots blocked (from inside the box) 1
Successful passes (opposition half) 7
Take on won 1
Fouls received 1
Successful passes (own half) 4
Successful passes (final third) 3
Out of play conceded 2
Unsuccessful passes (opposition half) 2

Sidenote: Jordan Hamilton played 18 minutes vs Cyle Larin's 90, but Jordan Hamilton had more points on this Audi Index system. Basically because of a shot on goal that Bendik did well to save.