Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Lefèvre won't play in CPL.

In French: Someone asks him if we could see Lefèvre in CPL. Lefèvre answers there is no chance, no matter the town, the salary or the car, the players or even the manager. 

However, my emoji game is weak, so maybe he's trolling us because if there's one thing I know about Lefèvre's social media game is that it's often second degree.

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Looks like Lefèvre won't play in CPL.

In French: Someone asks him if we could see Lefèvre in CPL. Lefèvre answers there is no chance, no matter the town, the salary or the car, the players or even the manager. 

However, my emoji game is weak, so maybe he's trolling us because if there's one thing I know about Lefèvre's social media game is that it's often second degree.

He has a follow-up tweet that seems to indicate that he meant it honestly; he whole-heartedly supports the league but doesn't plan on playing in it. It probably has more to do with him not planning on returning to pro soccer than any issue with the league in particular.

Edited by Zem

• 3 weeks later...

I know its probably off topic a bit. But how about Usain Bolt getting 2 goals in his first A-league start? The guy would be perfect for a CPL team. Household name, but a lot cheaper than a seasoned pro I am sure. Of course, i highly doubt he would ever come to the CPL. Just thought about how much media attention he would bring the league.

6 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I know its probably off topic a bit. But how about Usain Bolt getting 2 goals in his first A-league start? The guy would be perfect for a CPL team. Household name, but a lot cheaper than a seasoned pro I am sure. Of course, i highly doubt he would ever come to the CPL. Just thought about how much media attention he would bring the league.

Not an A-league start, though. It was a pre-season friendly against a State League team that I've never heard of.

10 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Just saying. If Usain Bolt was in town, I dont think a single person would argue that the casual fan wouldn’t be more interested. Maybe us soccer snobs dont really care, because he really isn’t all that great at soccer. But the casuals would love it.

We'd also immediately hear non stop about how crap CPL because a former sprinter with no soccer experience was able to play in the league

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Why do you think a rich ultra famous celebrity would be cheaper than a pro that isn't much better than him at soccer?

Wow. I guess people are against the idea. I knew people wouldn’t like the idea, but honestly it would be fun to have him here. We dont have to be so darn serious about “our image” that we complain about having the fastest man on earth play for a team. 

I dont know about the costs of a contract, but he seems pretty keen to play pro soccer so he can’t be extremely unreasonable. As for the alligators, it would make it more interesting. I’m not saying to pay him millions, i just think it would be fun.

Bolt seems to be around the level of players needed for our league. It isn’t like Bolt has never played soccer before in his life... The guy is not terrible. 

If he is good enough then that is one thing. His playing would do the talking for the skeptics and would obviously bring some attention.

If its just predominantly for the PR and bringing in a sub par but known name player then no thanks. The MLS is still trying to outgrow its "Superstar Graveyard/Retirement home" reputation. It brings some eyes on the product sure, it brings some fans to the show sure but if the product is good enough on the pitch then the that will attract the crowd with the added bonus of keeping them where the hype of an under performing superstar wears off. 

Whether he is good enough or not my worry would be taking the attention away from Canadians which is the sole purpose of the league. There needs to be a bit of pulling factor for the general public but quality of the product is what wins through in the end. 

5 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Wow. I guess people are against the idea. I knew people wouldn’t like the idea, but honestly it would be fun to have him here. We dont have to be so darn serious about “our image” that we complain about having the fastest man on earth play for a team. 

I dont know about the costs of a contract, but he seems pretty keen to play pro soccer so he can’t be extremely unreasonable. As for the alligators, it would make it more interesting. I’m not saying to pay him millions, i just think it would be fun.

Bolt seems to be around the level of players needed for our league. It isn’t like Bolt has never played soccer before in his life... The guy is not terrible. 

This will teach you never to post anything that could be considered "fun". 

Not even once.

You've been warned.

Edited by Califax

“There were four things our clubs considered while building their rosters: A league that’s Canadian, with an age profile younger than most North American leagues, featuring local talent, with up and coming internationals mixed in,”

-James Easton, the Canadian Premier League’s VP of Football Operations.

Edited by Ansem

On 10/12/2018 at 1:03 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Just saying. If Usain Bolt was in town, I dont think a single person would argue that the casual fan wouldn’t be more interested. Maybe us soccer snobs dont really care, because he really isn’t all that great at soccer. But the casuals would love it.

As much as I hate this idea  as a purist, as a York 9 fan worried about ticket sales - I wouldn't mind Usain suiting up for York. Would draw in Jamaican fans (we even play in green) and casuals. 

8 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Predictions please. Will anyone on the Canada side from tonight, take the pitch in a CPL match in the next couple seasons?

I'd be very surprised, but if there was, the likely ones are those playing lower division overseas. 

Simon Thomas has jumped around a bunch of clubs without making the jump to a higher division. He's not just starting his European adventures. I'd think he'd be most likley to come home - but I am not sure if a club would be smart to spend a big chunk of their wage budget on a gk - given the number of decent keepers at semi-pro.

Maybe Cornelius and James? But I'd be very surprised. They are young and might want to stick it out in the lower divisions a little longer with an eye to getting scouted for a bigger club. It seems lke Cornelius just established himself in Javor for e.g.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla