Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

19 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

At least he's moving closer to home from Syria but ex TFC forward Mo Babouli is back in Canada signing for Mississauga MetroStars  (MASL) indoor soccer.   Maybe he'll join a CanPL team for the last half of season?   

99.9% he gets an offer in my opinion 

On 11/1/2018 at 3:39 AM, Rocket Robin said:

I was thinking that some teams would pick through the annual housecleaning of 'overage' TFC II players.  

This might be a good year as TFC II is moving down in USL leagues.  

Canadian midfielder Luca Uccello has found a spot at the same level of USL that TFC II is giving up with the new Memphis 901 team...

This suggests that the pick of the crop of the overagers might tend to go to higher budget independent teams in USL (this includes Ottawa at least for now) to chase after more money, but overall CanPL will definitely provide a destination for most of the MLS academy graduates that are close but no cigar in MLS terms.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Am I the only one a little disappointed that the best prospect to come out of these camps has only been most recently playing for the Kitsap Pumas of the NPSL? I thought there'd be some genuine amateurs sprinkled in, and I realise these tryout camp players will make up only a fraction of the final squads, but I thought there might be some decent players with slightly higher pedigree dropping by, even at this early stage. I have to admit I'm having trouble getting that excited just yet. This feels like not much more than TPS playing at Swangard-calibre operations thus far. I will happily be proven wrong, however.

44 minutes ago, nolando said:

Am I the only one a little disappointed that the best prospect to come out of these camps has only been most recently playing for the Kitsap Pumas of the NPSL? I thought there'd be some genuine amateurs sprinkled in, and I realise these tryout camp players will make up only a fraction of the final squads, but I thought there might be some decent players with slightly higher pedigree dropping by, even at this early stage. I have to admit I'm having trouble getting that excited just yet. This feels like not much more than TPS playing at Swangard-calibre operations thus far. I will happily be proven wrong, however.

I suspect anyone with professional experience would be invited to trial at camp instead of these trials

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I suspect anyone with professional experience would be invited to trial at camp instead of these trials

I'm guessing much of each squad will be scouted and signed before training camp even starts. Surely the core of each team will be pros who are already playing regularly somewhere. So maybe around half a dozen squad places up for grabs at training camp? Just a guess of course and will depend to a large degree on the wage structure.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

I feel like the trials were as much a strategy to build repute within the soccer community, as they were a quest to unearth talent and build rosters. I'm not fussed by the caliber of player we saw. I don't think we can draw many conclusions until we start to see rosters assembled. 

Edited by C2SKI

58 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I feel like the trials were as much a strategy to build repute within the soccer community,

Yeah it's more for show anyway. You might invite two players to camp, maybe one survives the spring. That's good, it shouldn't be easy to walk onto a professional football team. 

Talking weeks until signings. Not really news considering Y9 already said last month their first player signing will be revealed at an event on the 28th of this month I believe.

Other than that, there are a couple interesting tidbits in here:

Gale: “We have an international standard winger from South America who’s interested in coming,”

Gale added he’s also working to establish an ongoing loan agreement with a club competing in a top European league.

https://canpl.ca/article/were-talking-weeks-now-cpl-coaches-front-offices-closing-in-on-first-signings

Edited by tyler453

http://aftn.ca/canadian-mens-national-team-head-coach-john-herdman-feels-first-ever-cpl-u-sports-draft-connecting-our-country-in-ways-that-weve-never-done-before/

Interesting bit of information about the U Sports Draft here that I don't believe I had seen until now:

It won’t just be the Canadian players that are eligible to be drafted. Nationality will not matter and all players that remain in the college system will be classed as domestics until they graduate.

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

This league gives us a great chance to naturalize players in the 8 years leading up to 2026. 

Should CPL have roster rules that make this easier?  I.e. 2 roster spots for u23 internationals that count as domestic. 

I feel like this revelation already gives young internationals a shot. I don't think its worth it to give internationals more spots on the teams. The ones that would be worth capping should be able to make a roster without concessions

CPL Draft

Round 1

1. Cavalry FC

2. Valour FC

3. Forge FC

4. York 9 FC

5. HFX Wanderers FC

6. Pacific FC

7. FC Edmonton

Round 2

8. FC Edmonton

9. Pacific FC

10. HFX Wanderers FC

11. York 9 FC

12. Forge FC

13. Valour FC

14. Cavalry FC

Round 3

15. Cavalry FC

16. Valour FC

17. Forge FC

18. York 9 FC

19. HFX Wanderers FC

20. Pacific FC

21. FC Edmonton

The full results of the CPL-U SPORTS Draft will be published on CanPL.ca on Tuesday, Nov. 13.

Edited by Ansem

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm surprised the draft is only 3 rounds if it's open to all classmen. Bit of a tip of the hand as to the overall quality they are expecting I guess.

I'm sure there would be more rounds if they had somewhere to put them like academies or could loan them to D2 teams.

Until then, 3 rounds makes sense

I must admit, I am not a big fan of player drafts. They can end in a stand-off between a player and a club he does not want to play for. I think players should be free to sign for any club they choose. The salary cap is the mechanism that will support parity.

To those who like the media exposure provided by a draft, I say this: if we keep the draft, how about giving the club an exclusivity period during which only they can negotiate with the players they draft? But it would be important for this exclusivity period to end in time for the player to negotiate with other clubs afterwards and not miss any matches as a result.

I am also skeptical as to the legality of a draft unless the league is a "single entity" rather than an affiliation of independent clubs. I suppose CPL must be the former as they have a draft. Which is different from what I was expecting and hoping for.