Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

But if you know each team needs *16* Canadian players, that puts a lot more bodies on the market and lowers what agents can ask for.

Not so sure about that.  If more Canadians are needed, this will not really increase supply but will increase demand.  The only way it increases supply is if salaries go up and some players are convinced to stick with playing soccer instead of getting a job in the real world.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:52 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Everyone’s speculating on the %.  It could be anywhere between 25% and 75% and anyone who claims to know is really speculating.

My speculation is that we’re talking 12 Canadians per team for 8 teams- 96 players to start and we defiantly have the player pool for that.

Another factor is that it might not be a %.   The only precedents we have for the CSA putting in content requirements are previous Voyageur Cups (where I think they require 3 Canadians on the field) and the rules put in place for the MLS reserve clubs in USL (50% of overall minutes through the year must be played by Canadians).  

I would prefer seeing the minutes quota be in place.  Who cares how many foreign players or Canadians are actually on the roster, but who is actually seeing the pitch?  I'd like to see the 50% of overall minutes played in the season be Canadian content.  Within that 50%, I'd like to see a quota of the equivalent of 90 min per game average (9.1% of overall minutes) played by Canadians under 23.  So there is a lot of incentive to give a young Canadian minutes as they would count towards both quotas.  I think both these limits would be reasonable to attain by clubs.  

From a Q & A with Paul Beirne

http://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/qa-with-paul-beirne

Q: Who will play in this league? Where will the players come from?

PB: We are unashamedly by Canadians, for Canadians. We know that statement will have an impact on the quality on the pitch. But we also know that Canadians, more today than ever before, are proud about being Canadian. We were in the closet about that pride for years but now it’s like we know we’ve earned our place in the world.

So, the reality is we are going to be largely Canadian. But if we are going to stick by our mandate to improve the game then we need to put our Canadian players in situations where they are pushed to the next level and the way to do that is to surround them with better talent. And if we have to go abroad to find that talent for the good of the game and for the good of the entertainment product we are putting out there, then we’re going to do that. It will be about striking a balance, but that balance will be tilted heavily in the Canadian favour.

It’s hard for me to predict where this is going to start out, but we’re going to start with a limit on the number of import players and whatever number we start with we will reduce over time as our Canadian player pool gets deeper and stronger.

Q: So, what will differentiate this league from the local amateur guys I can watch playing during the summer?

PB: You can and you should go out and support those teams. But there are several hundred Canadians playing their trade somewhere else in the world as a professional and it’s our intention to entice them back and the early response we’re getting from a lot of those players is ‘Absolutely.’ They almost resent that they had to leave in order to go earn a living in the game. I think we will have a nice blend of local guys and those who have played abroad or in other leagues or who are playing in the first, second or even third division of some European or South American leagues. You’d be shocked if you started to look at the numbers and you’d see there’s a kid from Moncton playing in Colombia.

One of our strengths is we have players from all over the world living in Canada. But it’s also a weakness because they generally carry a second passport and so they go and play in Colombia or Portugal or wherever. We’re going to turn that on its head by attracting those guys back and have them start to develop a real Canadian version of the game.

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Incorrect. That in fact would raise what agents could get as the demand outpaces supply. It's what's called a "sellers market"

Exactly, that’s a risk and a reason rosters themselves shouldn’t be too strict on Canadians but game day rules should be. 

On 6/19/2018 at 4:13 PM, lazlo_80 said:

Incorrect. That in fact would raise what agents could get as the demand outpaces supply. It's what's called a "sellers market"

I would agree with that assuming that there were enough high-quality players in the pool, but I'm thinking that the highest quality players would be playing for the MLS teams. There might be about 50 players below that level that might be high enough quality to spark a bidding war between CPL teams, but I foresee the vast majority of the Canadian pool being lower quality, that can be easily replaced like-for-like and not show much difference on the pitch. I think it will be more important getting quality coaches with a vision and the ability to implement that vision with the players available to them.

Edited by Initial B

25 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I would agree with that assuming that there were enough high-quality players in the pool, but I'm thinking that the highest quality players would be playing for the MLS teams. There might be about 50 players below that level that might be high enough quality to spark a bidding war between CPL teams, but I foresee the vast majority of the Canadian pool being lower quality, that can be easily replaced like-for-like and not show much difference on the pitch. I think it will be more important getting quality coaches with a vision and the ability to implement that vision with the players available to them.

If you are so low quality you can be traded for like for like you shouldn't be in the league. The fact you think these players either will be or should be in the league is a little scary to me. This isn't a charity they're running. 

Let me give you an example of how this player market works...

Right now there's 64 Canadian players who have seen time in USL alone. 

assuming an 8 team league, in the USL alone you could potentially have 8 players come from that league and join the CPL. (8 x 8 = 64)

BUT if you made the Canadian requirement 8 per team, every Canadian player and their agent knows you need to sign them hence a SELLERS MARKET. They can raise the price demands of the player.

So instead the CanPL in an effort to reduce costs could make the Canadian requirement 4 per team. Suddenly agents and players know the CanPL doesn't need to sign them and can negotiate in a more even market, finding players that work from a talent level but also a budgetary level.

This is why the Canadian quota will be set to ensure the league and it's teams doesn't need to sign overpriced Canadian players...or even worse "like-for-like" players who shouldn't even be in the league in the first place.

I understand the logic lazlo, but I think initial is saying there probably isn’t much difference, for example, between Marcel Zajac (leading scorer in L1O with 7 goals in 4 games) and whoever the 60th best Canadian in USL is. So if that 60th best USL player wants to try to inflate his price because Canadians are needed, he might not get very far.

I would guess (hopefully we know before the league starts) that the league minimum salary (if it has one) will set the price more than a need for Canadians. But without knowing the roster rules, number of teams, minimum salary, player budget, and existing salaries of Canadian players, we are all just speculating.

On May 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM, dyslexic nam said:

That would be an interesting thing for CPL to try and negotiate.  MLS gets general player development capacity while still retaining their sell-on rights,  MLS teams get first team minutes for fringe players as well as freeing up cap room, and CPL gets an injection of quality that the MLS teams would subsidize.  Would be a massive win on a number of fronts.  The only big question is if MLS will do anything whatsoever to assist the success of CPL or if they will try to obstruct it where possible.  Aside from their interest in the success of the 3 Canadian MLS clubs, you can imagine a mindset where they would like CPL to succeed to keep raising the profile of the NA domestic game and to deepen the interest in, and quality of, the CONCACAF Champions League.  

It will be extremely interesting to see how MLS responds to the launch of this league.

MLS has been helping USL with loans not only for players but others aspects like front office, marketing, grounds crew and academy set-up as well. There's already been open dialogue between CPL and TFC staff. It's the only way to push soccer forward in this country. Do people really think the CPL came up with the CSB without talking to Kathy Carter & Don Garber at SUM.?

10 hours ago, Prune_55 said:

MLS has been helping USL with loans not only for players but others aspects like front office, marketing, grounds crew and academy set-up as well. There's already been open dialogue between CPL and TFC staff. It's the only way to push soccer forward in this country. Do people really think the CPL came up with the CSB without talking to Kathy Carter & Don Garber at SUM.?

As you said just now, MLS has a stake in USL. They don’t have one in CPL.  If CPL touches their markets it will be war, as long as they’re in their lane there may be cooperation.  But to answer your question regarding sum, no I don’t think Garber talked to them I think there are many others who could tell them how it works including PB. 

I think MLS is taking a cautious approach and just like the way they handle everything else they’ll wait to see how it benefits them before doing anything.  I’m not going to expect much cooperation with the American clubs.. they wouldn’t want to loan international Canadians anyway and USL is there but if we’re lucky maybe some cooperation with our Canadian clubs. 

Edited by Keegan

Yeah, the idea that MLS is helping CPL in any way seems at best speculative, and at worst naive.  It isn't like the basic operations of a soccer marketing arm isn't known to insiders.  And I still recall the shitty pizza analogy.  Throw in the fact that CPL has rejected the D2 feeder teams for our MLS clubs and I see no reason why we would assume any significant level of cooperation.

13 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hopefully they do cooperate. It would be good to see top Whitecaps prospects gaining experience in Victoria rather than Fresno, for example. Having different warring camps within Canadian pro soccer has never tended to end well.

One doesn't exclude the other. We'll see these loans regardless, because it benefits all sides. No matter how involved MLS is in CPL (I'd guess not at all). 

I'm going to name Wandrille Lefèvre. He would listen to offers if they are interesting. He thinks he can be matchfit in 10-12 days. Since he said that he would listen to job offers as a player, it's hard not to see him being approached by a CPL club.

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/wandrille-lefevre-entre-le-cur-et-la-raison-1.6172336

On 6/26/2018 at 8:43 AM, Blackdude said:

I'm going to name Wandrille Lefèvre. He would listen to offers if they are interesting. He thinks he can be matchfit in 10-12 days. Since he said that he would listen to job offers as a player, it's hard not to see him being approached by a CPL club.

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/wandrille-lefevre-entre-le-cur-et-la-raison-1.6172336

He would be legit in CanPL, and I really liked him. 

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

I threw a spreadsheet together of players I think would have interest in CPL

AbyZhvm.png

Great list.. let me add:

Andres Fresenga, Issey Nakajima, Nicolás Galvis, Ben Fisk, Luca Gasparotto, Jordan Webb, Jonathan Bealieu-Bourgault, Pierre Rudolph Mayard, Fraser Aird, David Wotherspoon..

anyone remember the name of the guy who played in Trinidad a year or two ago?  Believe he was playing for a university out east.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Great list.. let me add:

Andres Fresenga, Issey Nakajima, Nicolás Galvis, Ben Fisk, Luca Gasparotto, Jordan Webb, Jonathan Bealieu-Bourgault, Pierre Rudolph Mayard, Fraser Aird, David Wotherspoon..

anyone remember the name of the guy who played in Trinidad a year or two ago?  Believe he was playing for a university out east.

Brad Beaumont and Maleik de Freitas played in Trinidad. One of them? 

50 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Great list.. let me add:

I just don't see JBB coming back to play in CPL. The guy's a lawyer and a pundit on Impact home games.