Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Good thing it isn't up to you. They also need to sell the product and having south Americans or central Americans sells better than US flags mixed with Canadians playing more or less the same style.

Flags alone sell now? Maybe we should skip Latin America and sign a bunch of French or Germans.

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Matty: hopefully the talent level is high enough they wont empty out the L1O, PSLQ, but the top guys in those leagues should get a good long look.  Carrerio, Whiteman, Di Chara, Q Roberts, Grant etc.  

Fully agree there

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

haha phone auto correct.  "players" not flags...  But yeah, a multicultural pot is better than a high concentration of US players

Fair enough there.

I think you can have both a highly multicultural pot but still have a sizable pool of Americans within it. I'm not saying I expect them to fill everything up with Americans but I do think around a third of non-Canadians in the league will be serviceable Americans (Eriq Zavaleta type guys). I don't think that's an issue, I just think it'll be a natural move given the current landscape of soccer both in Canada and the US and size of the pool.

The bigger question is about that number 2 spot. I know you think it should be Latin and some think European but I personally think the CPL will be seen as more useful to Caribbean players and FAs than others. We've already seen Caribbean press take interest in the CPL for Caribbean development.

I agree with the couple of people who have mentioned scouting. While looking for Canadians scouts will be watching MLS, USL, NCAA, and while they are watching those games, they will see lots of American players. It makes some sense that they might take a shot at, say, an American teammate of a Canadian player that they are also trying to sign.

9 hours ago, matty said:

I agree and disagree somewhat. Yes there are guys there with no links and potenial but the issue is trying to paint the CPL as Canada's "Premier League". Signing lets's say a dozen guys from an unsanctioned league with a documented history of criminal activities could really hurt that image both domestically and abroad.

Some CSL players have ducked back and forth between League 1 Ontario and CSL over the years.  L1O didn't get started until 2014.  

Master's Jose Melo played with Scarborough CSL for first four games and had one goal as he stayed in shape for a move to follow coach Rick Titus over to Master's from coaching North Mississauga Panthers L1O the year before.  He then scored eight goals for Master's.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17l1o281.htm

I was looking forward to seeing Masters one last time
as I'd noticed on the L1O websites some familiar names
in the last six weeks from years past.  Their coach
Rick Titus must have the largest Rolodex in the city. 
I watched a 'new' player to the roster score the winning
goal on a road trip to Ottawa. Easy to see as he was almost
a foot taller than most of the players. Yes it was defender
Marc Jankovic who I had watched over the years in the CPSL
playing for Toronto Croatia until the end of 2013 when
I made the switch to the start of the new L1O league. I spoke
to Jankovic before the game and he said he played for
Scarborough of the CSL this year. They lost in the final
to York Region Shooters after extra time in a shootout.
I noticed on the calendar that the game was held a few
hours before the TFC vs Red Bulls game at Lamport Stadium
about three blocks away from BMO Field. Because of the length
of the game it overlapped the start of the MLS game. Jankovic
said he signed with Masters in August but still played
in both leagues and only missed one game. Titus said that
the CSL is an unsanctioned league so there isn't a problem.
Some of 'his guys' were playing for the CSL at the start
of this season before Titus was confirmed as the coach
of Masters (making the move from North Mississauga who
he coached last year).  Of course there are plenty
of L1O players who also play for their schools (and many
who are NOT permitted by their schools from doubling up).
Another player who played for the CSL (at least until
a few weeks ago) was forward Milos Scepanovic who played
for Serbian White Eagles this season. I'd have liked
to see them play on the same team after years of Croatia
vs SWE but Scepanovic wasn't here today. Those games were
more the rivalry of the fans than the players in my opinion.
Another player scratched from today's preliminary lineup
was Shawn Brown who spent time with both SWE and Croatia
(and other teams) over the years.

2 hours ago, ktf said:

Would any want to take a stab at trying to put together a list of who may have the talent and be available in 2019?

Assumming we need at least 10 Canadians per team. Can we put together a list of 80-100?

Absent information on salary, I'm not sure if we would lure reserves from MLS, USL starters, or PLSQ players. 

If we wanted to throw some names out; let's say we lure some prospects that are on MLS sides like Louis Béland-Goyette or Thomas Meilleur-Giguère. That's two. Then maybe you get some USL starters from the MNT. That's Maxim Tissot, Karl Ouimette, Alessandro Riggi and Maxime Crépeau. We'll repatriate a few guys overseas, like Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé and André Hainault who are good, but in European basements. Then you'll get the top prospects from PLSQ, like Philip Davies, Pierre Rudolph-Mayard and Jonathan Vallée. 

That's where I'd start my guessing... 

3 hours ago, ktf said:

Would any want to take a stab at trying to put together a list of who may have the talent and be available in 2019?

Assumming we need at least 10 Canadians per team. Can we put together a list of 80-100?

You just look at the Canadian player pool list and ignore the players playing at the top leagues. Most of those are potential CPL players.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:10 AM, ktf said:

I'm working on something for shits and giggles at the moment. Probably won't be ready for a little while at least but I'll post it once I'm done

On 14/02/2018 at 8:25 PM, to70 said:

You just look at the Canadian player pool list and ignore the players playing at the top leagues. Most of those are potential CPL players.

That lsit is useful, but I feel it is filled with many players that are not really candidates for the league. A 26 year old in an extremely low level overseas is not really going to help. Furthermore, many are dual nationals that possibly have no interest. It would also be nice to get someone with good knowledge of L1, NCAA, CIS(USport), etc. to add in players that will be pro in a year or so.

3 minutes ago, ktf said:

That lsit is useful, but I feel it is filled with many players that are not really candidates for the league. A 26 year old in an extremely low level overseas is not really going to help. Furthermore, many are dual nationals that possibly have no interest. It would also be nice to get someone with good knowledge of L1, NCAA, CIS(USport), etc. to add in players that will be pro in a year or so.

It might not help the league that much, but it might help that journeyman.  Maybe some of those guys will shine if they get playing time back home.  Eventually I would hope that they will target youngsters and bring them along, but at first they might have to rely on older CDN journeymen with less potential.   

35 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It might not help the league that much, but it might help that journeyman.  Maybe some of those guys will shine if they get playing time back home.  Eventually I would hope that they will target youngsters and bring them along, but at first they might have to rely on older CDN journeymen with less potential.   

@ktf is likely addressing someone playing in like 4th tier Greece. PB, IIRC, has said the league is aiming for no one playing under League One in England. If that is the case that journeyman will not be in CPL.

There will be Canadian Euro-based journeymen (eg. Straith, Trafford, Jackson) but should avoid every man for its own sake.

16 hours ago, matty said:

@ktf is likely addressing someone playing in like 4th tier Greece. PB, IIRC, has said the league is aiming for no one playing under League One in England. If that is the case that journeyman will not be in CPL.

There will be Canadian Euro-based journeymen (eg. Straith, Trafford, Jackson) but should avoid every man for its own sake.

That was more what I was getting at. There are players on that list playing at the 6th level of Australia or 7, 8, 9, 10th levels of Germany. Those are not the players we should be looking at. I do look forward to the Euro journeyman. These players will probably welcome the chance to come back as well. 

On 2/14/2018 at 9:10 AM, ktf said:

Keeper: Thomas, Roberts, Carducci, Crepeau, Irving, Farago, Ingham, Cavalluzo, Di Bernardo, Melvin, Village, McRae, MacLeod, Monsalve, Hasal

Centre Back: Jakovic, James, M. Trafford, Attakora, Aleksic, Straith, Lefevre, Henry, Farmer, Sadiki, Gasparotto, Thomas, Ouimette, Didic, Smith, Roberts, Zator

Fullback: Edward, Dixon, Kapor, Ellis-Hayden, Cordova, Serban, Chung, Grant, Tissot, Pasher, Murrell, Drake, Gee, Dunstan, Corchia, Fresenga, Restrepo, Ma. Baldisimo

Defensive Mid/Box-to-Box: Zebie, McKendry, Ledgerwood, Awuah, Lapare-Gagnon, Mannella, Stanese, Mi. Baldisimo, Gardner, Norman, Beland-Goyette, Schweitzer, Shome, C. Trafford, Doughty, Dover, Gage

Attacking Mid/Winger: Bustos, Carreiro, Uccello, Reid, Eustaquio, Aleman, Bekker, Dominguez, Laryea, Boakai, Fisk, Aird, Kaye, Petrasso, Riggi, Camargo, Nanco, Edwini-Bonsu, Ewart, Porter, Levis, Heard, Kacher, James, Srbely, Choiniere

Striker: Haworth, Cox, D. Haber, M. Haber, Hamilton, Amanda, Sigue, Zannatta, Ricketts, Gonzalez, Campbell, Telfer, Wright

Edited by FC_Hali

19 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

Keeper: Thomas, Roberts, Carducci, Crepeau, Irving, Farago, Ingham, Cavalluzo, Di Bernardo, Melvin, Village, McRae, MacLeod, Monsalve, Hasal

Centre Back: Jakovic, James, M. Trafford, Attakora, Aleksic, Straith, Lefevre, Henry, Farmer, Sadiki, Gasparotto, Thomas, Ouimette, Didic, Smith, Roberts, Zator

Fullback: Edward, Dixon, Kapor, Ellis-Hayden, Cordova, Serban, Chung, Grant, Tissot, Pasher, Murrell, Drake, Gee, Dunstan, Corchia, Fresenga, Restrepo, Ma. Baldisimo

Defensive Mid/Box-to-Box: Zebie, McKendry, Ledgerwood, Awuah, Lapare-Gagnon, Mannella, Stanese, Mi. Baldisimo, Gardner, Norman, Beland-Goyette, Schweitzer, Shome, C. Trafford, Doughty, Dover, Gage

Attacking Mid/Winger: Bustos, Carreiro, Uccello, Reid, Eustaquio, Aleman, Bekker, Dominguez, Laryea, Boakai, Fisk, Aird, Kaye, Petrasso, Riggi, Camargo, Nanco, Edwini-Bonsu, Ewart, Porter, Levis, Heard, Kacher, James, Srbely, Choiniere

Striker: Haworth, Cox, D. Haber, M. Haber, Hamilton, Amanda, Sigue, Zannatta, Ricketts, Gonzalez, Campbell, Telfer, Wright

I'd add Babouli to the Striker position too!

Gardiens: Maxime Crépeau, Haidar Al-Shabani, Jean-Lou Gosselin, Gabard Fénélon

Defenseurs : Karl Ouimette, Maxim Tissot, Guillaume Rivard, André Hainault, Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé, Philippe Davies, Allan Zebie, Aron Mkungilwa, Zachary Sukunda, Thomas Meilleur-Giguère, Chakib Hocine

Mileu :  Jon Vallée, Kévin Dean Chan Yu-Tin, Nazim Belguendouz, Zakaria Messoudi, Jimmy-Shammar Sanon, Louis Béland-Goyette

Attaquants : Olivier Occéan,  Frederico Moojen, Mohamed Dagnogo

Can someone who has followed this closer than me explain why not having div 2 status is/was a deal breaker for NASL? Couldn't they just continue on as per usual with div 3 status?

Hardly seems fair. USSF can kill a league just by downgrading their status. Meanwhile, CSA de-sanctions the (newer, crappier) CSL and that league keeps operating for years.

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

Can someone who has followed this closer than me explain why not having div 2 status is/was a deal breaker for NASL? Couldn't they just continue on as per usual with div 3 status?

The official answer was that it was harder to attract sponsorship as a Div3 league, which is probably true to an extent

In my opinion, the actual answer is

1. Pride. Soccer teams are vanity projects in most places in the world, and I don't doubt that NASL was the same. It probably becomes harder to attract new wealthy people willing to lose a bunch of money on a soccer team when the sell is an even lower minor league

2. The way the NASL franchise agreement was set up was that teams were allowed to leave at a far lower exit fee if they lost Div2 sanctioning (millions vs under 100,000 I think). So for all those teams considering jumping ship to USL, losing Div2 sanctioning made it very cheap to leave

Edited by Complete Homer

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The official answer was that it was harder to attract sponsorship as a Div3 league, which is probably true to an extent

In my opinion, the actual answer is

1. Pride. Soccer teams are vanity projects in most places in the world, and I don't doubt that NASL was the same. It probably becomes harder to attract new wealthy people willing to lose a bunch of money on a soccer team when the sell is an even lower minor league

2. The way the NASL franchise agreement was set up was that teams were allowed to leave at a far lower exit fee if they lost Div2 sanctioning (millions vs under 100,000 I think). So for all those teams considering jumping ship to USL, losing Div2 sanctioning made it very cheap to leave

#2 is 99% why it was so important for NASL to keep their D2 status.