Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Yes, CPL season will be shorter than MLS. MLS starts in March and including playoffs goes into December. If CPL sticks with their no-playoffs idea the season will go from April to October.

As for his concern, maybe you've read it now but from his latest post it sounds like the concern is just the team's ability/desire to continue paying players during the offseason.

Just to add, it's fully possible the league doesn't play the full months of April and October due to having fewer games and weather in some cities.

And yes, that's part of what I was thinking and it wasn't so much concern as expectation. Seems fairly common among leagues with smaller budgets and shortish seasons. Nothing wrong with it.

Lot's of hints dropped on the roster building process/what rosters might look like in this video/article:

http://canpl.ca/video/as-focus-shifts-to-roster-building-wheeldon-jr-scopes-out-local-talent-at-calgary-open-trials

Wheeldon Jr. mentioned: "Our foundational signings, we have put in our names, and for us, we wanted somebody with pedigree and experience, whose name speaks for itself and we wanted someone who is an up and comer, both of them are Canadian , and both of them will add extreme value”

So looks like:

-two Canadian foundational players (former internationals/returnees from Europe?)
-16 squad players (my guess l1o/plsq/pdl/usl for Canadians and younger non-Canadians)
-And then what Tommy mentioned as 'filling out the rosters with people w/ good attitudes and willingness to learn': 4 - 5 USports draftees and 2-3 got game trialists

"Putting in names" also seems to suggest that foundational players will not be subject to a draft - which is important I think. Well, we'll find out soon according to Tommy.

32 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Lot's of hints dropped on the roster building process/what rosters might look like in this video/article:

http://canpl.ca/video/as-focus-shifts-to-roster-building-wheeldon-jr-scopes-out-local-talent-at-calgary-open-trials

Wheeldon Jr. mentioned: "Our foundational signings, we have put in our names, and for us, we wanted somebody with pedigree and experience, whose name speaks for itself and we wanted someone who is an up and comer, both of them are Canadian , and both of them will add extreme value”

So looks like:

-two Canadian foundational players (former internationals/returnees from Europe?)
-16 squad players (my guess l1o/plsq/pdl/usl for Canadians and younger non-Canadians)
-And then what Tommy mentioned as 'filling out the rosters with people w/ good attitudes and willingness to learn': 4 - 5 USports draftees and 2-3 got game trialists

"Putting in names" also seems to suggest that foundational players will not be subject to a draft - which is important I think. Well, we'll find out soon according to Tommy.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of those foundational signings is  Nik Ledgerwood.

23 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

My guess is that Charlie Trafford is one of the two foundational players that Wheeldon is talking about 

Well I think Ledgerwood is definitely the established one he mentioned. Trouble is that Trafford at 26 is hardly up and coming - I think that one is possibly Carducci as a 22 year old gk.

I think Trafford fits the bill for a foundational player for CPL ... but maybe another team? Might be strange having a Calgarian be one for Edmonton, but maybe PFC? Along with Simon Thomas?

16 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I think Trafford fits the bill for a foundational player for CPL ... but maybe another team? Might be strange having a Calgarian be one for Edmonton, but maybe PFC?

I hope we go after Adam Straith and Dario Zanatta. Both might be comfortable with their club situations though. I wouldn't say no to Trafford either though.

Edited by C2SKI

On 10/23/2018 at 11:03 PM, BradMack said:

If it is the players leaving for more money in the CPL, wouldn't that discredit the Fury's reasoning for not joining CPL too? Either way they don't look good in this.

After the Championship season, they lost the majority of their starting lineup and Coach to USL and NASL teams (Heinemann was offered $100K by Tampa Bay iirc). Many on the team pleaded for OSEG to open up the purse string enough to retain players, but they remained closed. I'm thinking that only John Pugh from the ownership group really gives a crap about soccer. I think they mostly are invested in the RedBlacks, 67s, and getting as many concert events into Landsdowne as possible. Still, from what I watched this season, the players leaving are no great loss. I told the rep when I decided not to renew was they needed a centerback to organize the defence, a midfield distributor and playmaker, and a striker who can finish. This group was not it.

Seems like Jimmy Brennan is scouting some young pros down in the Dominican Republic rn. As I'm seeing on instagram he's down at Inter RD (a club in the Dominican premier league) to watch their international showcase event. Couple of young Canadians at the camp including Nicolas Galvis who was called to the CanMNT last year. Could be a name that we see at York 9 next year

Edited by Pottsy3

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Seems like Jimmy Brennan is scouting some young pros down in the Dominican Republic rn. As I'm seeing on instagram he's down at Inter RD (a club in the Dominican premier league) to watch their international showcase event. Couple of young Canadians at the camp including Nicolas Galvis who was called to the CanMNT last year. Could be a name that we see at York 9 next year

What's an international showcase? Some sorta combine?

11 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

What's an international showcase? Some sorta combine?

Not really sure but that’s what it sounds like. They’re calling it an “International Pro Players Showcase and Training”. Claim to have other Canadians participating as well as a bunch of South Americans.

if anyone can translate better than me, they’re @InterRDFC on twitter and instagram

On 10/27/2018 at 12:26 PM, tyler453 said:

Is this a joke?  These guys are disasters.  Let’s head to a resort in Punta Cana for talent for a league that will be 60% Canadian. 

This team: https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/dominican-republic/inter-rd/42587/

If there are Canadians on that team they should have been at the open tryouts.. not getting a visit from club owners.  They may as well just scout the open tryouts.. I’d be willing to bet we could put together a team or two of trialists that could win the Dominican league.

Im sure people are going to be clamouring for $30 tickets when they see your stud signings from the Dominican...

Edited by Keegan

33 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Is this a joke?  These guys are disasters.  Let’s head to a resort in Punta Cana for talent for a league that will be 60% Canadian. 

If there are Canadians on that team they should have been at the open tryouts.. not getting a visit from club owners.  They may as well just scout the open tryouts.. I’d be willing to bet we could put together a team or two of trialists that could win the Dominican league.

Im sure people are going to be clamouring for $30 tickets when they see your stud signings from the Dominican...

hahah Inter RD are 2nd last after 22 games with -29 GD....prime pickings for York there. I can't imagine a club like this would yield more potential than the GTA.

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Good lord, I knew it was kind of odd, but never even looked into the team. 2nd last on the table in DR league, last win coming back in June. Only one of two on the entire season. You're right, I bet trialists, a L1 or PLSQ team could handily beat this team. Denmark was one thing, they're a decent football nation, but a lower lever team from DR? What a waste of time and money. If they`re gonna go anywhere in Central America/Carribean to scout, at least go to Honduras, CR, maybe Panama. Or just simply stay at home and dig deep.

Not sure many people are gonna want to spend $400 to watch 15 games of bush league Dominican players in non-assigned seats.

Edited by tyler453

I was thinking that some teams would pick through the annual housecleaning of 'overage' TFC II players.  

This might be a good year as TFC II is moving down in USL leagues.  

Canadian midfielder Luca Uccello has found a spot at the same level of USL that TFC II is giving up with the new Memphis 901 team.  (901 is the city's phone exchange and the logo is an old time vinyl record/microphone for its fame as a music center).  

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/963840

50 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I hope to see Haber in the league. He's a strong centre forward but has fallen a lot lately. Two seasons ago he had 9 goal in the Scot Prem,   now he's barely getting off the bench for the #last team in the Championship. Bring him home!

He really has been a journeyman over there. Dundee was his most productive spell with eleven goals in 38 appearances but only two of those goals coming last season. His numbers elsewhere clearly show why he's bounced around so much.

CPL would probably make a lot of sense for him.

21 hours ago, Oranje said:

They are just expensing a vacation while being oblivious to optics. 

This is what I presume a phone conversation between Jim Brennan and Carlo Baldasarra would sound like while Jim is on a scouting trip.

"Hello Carlo, it's Jimmy. I'm going to need you to wire me some more money. I think we should go to a few whore houses to see if any of the ladies there know of any top players. It would be rude to not pay them for their time. I'm confident this won't be a dead end like the booze cruise was."