Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

5 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Simon Thomson has jumped around a bunch of clubs without making the jump to a higher division. He's not just starting his European adventures. I'd think he'd be most likley to come home - but I am not sure if a club would be smart to spend a big chunk of their wage budget on a gk - given the number of decent keepers at semi-pro.

Yeah he's probably the most likely. If I were a cub's TD, I'd burn some cash on an experienced goalkeeper for sure. Part of the spine (goalkeeper, central defender, central midfielder and solid striker). 

Edited by shamrock

10 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Maybe Cornelius and James? But I'd be very surprised. They are young and might want to stick it out in the lower divisions a little longer with an eye to getting scouted for a bigger club. It seems lke Cornelius just established himself in Javor for e.g.

James is already with a bigger club, Midtjylland.

Cornelius is maybe a possibility if he doesn't get anywhere in the next couple of years, but I'm sure as long as he gets more playing time with the CMNT he'll move to a bigger league in Europe soon enough.

31 minutes ago, Zem said:

James is already with a bigger club, Midtjylland.

Cornelius is maybe a possibility if he doesn't get anywhere in the next couple of years, but I'm sure as long as he gets more playing time with the CMNT he'll move to a bigger league in Europe soon enough.

Oh right, forgot he was on loan! In that case, definitely not.

CPL obviously has yet to show itself to be a pathway to higher level clubs in Europe, and wages will also likely not be comparable at this point. I think it will have to achieve either or ideally both to start drawing in European-based players.

21 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

...CPL obviously has yet to show itself to be a pathway to higher level clubs in Europe, and wages will also likely not be comparable at this point. I think it will have to achieve either or ideally both to start drawing in European-based players.

Think where the interest might tend to come from is with players who see it as a way to move from being semi-pro to a fully pro environment:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1498201/caley-thistles-charlie-trafford-backs-2026-world-cup-to-have-transformative-effect-on-football-in-canada/

...One of the CPL franchises will go to Trafford’s home city and another player with Caley Jags connections, Calum Ferguson, has said he will enter the league’s inaugural draft...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calum_Ferguson

On 10/12/2018 at 9:51 AM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I know its probably off topic a bit. But how about Usain Bolt getting 2 goals in his first A-league start? The guy would be perfect for a CPL team. Household name, but a lot cheaper than a seasoned pro I am sure. Of course, i highly doubt he would ever come to the CPL. Just thought about how much media attention he would bring the league.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45899234

It's on. A $2.7m (Canadian) contract offer? He must have a good agent or its a lengthy contract.

Spoiler

For people that can't click the link or have more sense, it's not on. But he is looking for a club, just not in Malta apparently.  

He may not be the hero York 9 wants but he’s the hero York 9 needs.  Give him an ownership stake and buy out Brennan. 

Im only half joking.. that would be brilliant.  Ride it out with him playing a couple seasons and voila you have a celebrity owner for life that connects with the massive Jamaican community.

Edited by Keegan

I can't remember if I posted this, so apologies if it is a repeat, but the CNL seems like a great way to scout some of the players toiling away in the Caribbean leagues.  I can't imagine that some of the smaller leagues pay that well, so they could provide some affordable talent to round out rosters.  And there have been times where a player has looked decent, and the commentators talk about hsi club situation - often just a small club in the country's domestic league.  Given the financial situation in some of these countries, I can't see those guys making much.  Might be a good opportunity to grab some decent talent (on the CPL curve) at a really affordable price.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:12 AM, Ansem said:
“There were four things our clubs considered while building their rosters: A league that’s Canadian, with an age profile younger than most North American leagues, featuring local talent, with up and coming internationals mixed in,”

-James Easton, the Canadian Premier League’s VP of Football Operations.

I would be okay with this as a league club template. We want to give the best chances we can to U-23s that could make themselves into something better.

Since everyone's curious about Caribbean players potentially playing in the CPL, I went ahead and compiled a list of notable Caribbean internationals who are currently out of contract or who will be this winter (I focused mostly on players who are NA-based and don't have Canadian or American citizenship):

Oalex Anderson, FW (St. Vincent and the Grenadines, 22): Prolific goal scorer for St. Vincent with 12 in 24 appearances. Played for Seattle Sounders 2 in 2015 before being promoted to the first team in 2016, where he made 15 appearances off the bench but scored no goals and was released at the end of the season. Apparently out of contract since then although he may have returned to SV&G.

Corrin Brooks, GK (Montserrat, 30): Montserrat's #1, whose performances have been key in their Nations League qualifying campaign so far. Started his career with Fulham, but has since played mostly in Cyprus and recently in Bulagria. He has apparently been out of contract since last year.

Keasel Broome, GK (Barbados, 27): Barbados' #1 who spent his last two seasons in the USL, and before that was the New York Cosmos' backup. Apparently out of contract since the end of last season. Born in the US, but I figured I'd include him since he's Barbados' only notable NA-based player.

Billy Forbes, FW (Turks and Caicos Islands, 27): Quick and dangerous winger/secondary striker who has played most of his career in the NASL and USL where he's been a regular starter since 2014. Currently with Phoenix Rising, but his contract runs out at the end of this season.

Quinton Griffith, DF (Antigua and Barbuda, 26): Fullback/winger who was a regular for the Charleston Battery for five seasons, but was released in June this year. Has been a constant presence for Antigua since making his debut for them at age 17 with 52 caps and currently serves as their captain.

Atiba Harris, DF (St. Kitts and Nevis, 33): Veteran centre-back/fullback/winger and longtime captain for St. Kitts with 62 caps and 17 goals. Loads of MLS experience (275 appearances in total), including a stint with Vancouver. Currently playing with Oklahoma City Energy, but his contract runs out at the end of the season.

Jahquil Hill, GK (Bermuda, 21): Young keeper who is quickly taking over as Bermuda's #1. Started against us at Camp Poutine in January 2017. Played much of his earlier career with non-league clubs in England, but recently played with Oakville. Since leaving the Blue Devils this summer, he has spent time training with Wolves while attending university in Britain.

Kevon Lambert, MF (Jamaica, 21): Young holding midfielder/centre-back who has already earned 9 caps for Jamaica since making his debut last year. Currently a regular for Phoenix Rising, but his contract runs out at the end of this year.

Kévin Olimpa, GK (Martinique, 30): Not a great bet since he's French-born and has exclusively played in Europe, but I figured I'd include him since he's high-profile and out of contract. Former French U21 international who spent 8 years as a backup at Bordeaux and spent time on loan at Angers in Ligue 2. Signed with a smaller Greek Superleague club in 2014 and has apparently been out of contract since November 2016.

Kévin Parsemain, FW (Martinique, 30): Talented and well-rounded striker, deadly finisher and direct set piece-taker. Excellent goalscoring record for Martinique with 31 in 47 appearances. Tied for the Golden Boot at the Gold Cup last year, where he scored a brace against the US. Played in Martinique and France before signing with Seattle Sounders in 2014, only to suffer an ACL tear, leaving him out for 6-7 months. Seattle released him at the start of the 2015 season. Subsequently played with Motema Pembe in the DR Congo before returning to Martinique in 2016.

Myron Samuel, FW (St. Vincent and the Grenadines, 25): Made his debut for St. Vincent at age 15, and has been a key player for them since, scoring 23 goals and earning 57 caps. After demolishing the St. Vincent league, he spent 2015 and 2016 with Seattle Sounders 2, where he made 23 appearances and scored 5 goals. Apparently out of contract since being released by Seattle, although he probably went back to St. Vincent.

Julian Wade, FW (Dominica, 28): Quick, high-workrate striker who has been a key player for Dominica with 13 goals in 25 appearances. He became Dominica's first-ever professional footballer in 2013 when he signed with Caledonia AIA in Trinidad. Since then, he has spent time playing in Guyana and Guadeloupe. Took part in the CPL's open tryouts in Toronto, where he made the final cut and could very well be one of the players invited to a CPL training camp next spring.

Devon Williams, MF (Jamaica, 26): Playmaking CM/AM with three caps for Jamaica. Was a regular for NYRB II in 2015 and 2016 with 36 appearances and two goals, and won the USL Cup with them in 2016. He then won the USL Cup for a second consecutive year with Louisville City and has made 49 appearances for them. His contract with Louisville runs out and the end of this season.

Edited by Zem

5 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Is he still with Brantford in the desanctioned CSL though? I'd be surprised if they signed anyone playing there.

He's looking for a new club. He was supposed to be with Hamilton City this year but couldn't play due to injury.

Will the CPL not be signing anyone from the CSL?

7 minutes ago, Djuradj said:

He's looking for a new club. He was supposed to be with Hamilton City this year but couldn't play due to injury.

Will the CPL not be signing anyone from the CSL?

Just figured the unsanctioned aspect of it meant that players potentially faced repercusions for playing for them - I guess I am wrong. Any reason he didn't play for a L1O team?

9 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Just figured the unsanctioned aspect of it meant that players potentially faced repercusions for playing for them - I guess I am wrong. Any reason he didn't play for a L1O team?

Haha L1O had a few players from the unsanctioned CSL play for both this season, a few players played for two teams all season long playing for teams in the CSL and also playing for teams in the sanctioned L1O. Moreover, a few players from the unsanctioned CSL attended the CPL tryouts with one player who played with both a CSL team and an L1O team supposedly I’m hearing from a good source will be a top draft pick from the upcoming draft maybe the top draft pick, he is an older player who came to Canada about 10 years ago from Eastern Europe with some experience in a second division in one of the Eastern European second division I think, has been mainly playing in the unsanctioned CSL league since he immigrated to Canada about 10 years ago. Moreover , from what I’m told he has a day job so will probably try and keep his day job while he continues playing in the new CPL like he has been doing since he came to Canada while he has been playing in the CSL.