Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Anyone thinks the some truth to this?

In a sinister way? no

As an economic response? Absolutely. With CPL on the horizon Canadian players have more leverage and options, as demand for decent Canadian soccer players is about to outstrip supply for the first time. MLS teams can't sit on their hands as much with their prospects now

Edited by Complete Homer

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Anyone thinks the some truth to this?

Seeing they don't play them, those players will probably will go CPL anyway, maybe on a loan deal. I don't have any problems with Canadian clubs signings Canadians though. 

The MLS teams will take more of a risk signing these guys going forward.  Before there was no real risk to the Caps signing academy kids and not playing them other than in the CDN championship, other than burning a roster slot.  Now, if they don't use Bair and Baldisimo at all, or are perceived behind the scenes as not giving them a fair shot to earn a place, it will be a message internally to the next crop of youth to get the hell out, only now those kids can get the hell out way more easily than the last few generations.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about what would be a good number for the salary cap to start out at. I started perusing MLS salaries for Canadian players and players with Canadian association (Ugo Ihemelu, O'Brian White etc.) from 2007 to present to get an idea of what kind of salaries the average player would command.

I ended up coming up with a salary cap of $1.5-1.6M USD. I tried to break it down into a few different tiers of players:

Premier Tier = Median Salary of 183,000

Top Tier = Median Salary of 97,000

Starters = Median Salary of 62,000

Bench Players = Median Salary of 33,000

To give an idea of quality I put names to numbers. These names are based on the players highest recorded salary I could find during their MLS career. Note that I was just trying to get an idea of calibre of player, and that I don't expect that Ante Jazic is going to be signed.

The MLS players that seemed to be out of range for this salary cap for CPL are: de Guzman, De Rosario, Johnson, Vitoria, Bunbury. Though you could expect some of these guys to start in CPL and eventually warrant more money than could be fit under the salary cap. For example De Rosario was at one point making 158,000 (note that I did not factor in inflation).

I only listed Starting XI players and then I just assumed all other roster positions from 12-23 would likely make around 33,000

Anyway, here is what I came up with if anyone cares to have a gander:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1km1vZtisUAofYsBVnyBhYoO3LFgUJyDeVxbPVnYloK4/edit?usp=sharing

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, badname22 said:

What type of international players do you think we'll see in the CPL? any "notable" names?

Can't really see any jaw-dropping names being acquired right away with the amont of available money. Maybe younger guys trying to establish themselves like the Canadians; I could see a few loans on the roster.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:38 PM, top cheese said:

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8749807-cpl-players-will-come-from-five-pools-/

id also believe that MLS teams would want there top academy players playing in this during the summer months even if it was on loan.

Toronto FC II wanted in but were deliberately excluded so that's not a safe assumption. They will be playing in the new USL D3 next summer. It remains to be seen if the other two MLS teams plan something similar now that there is a lower budget option available again through USL that doesn't require USSF D2 sanctioning standards.

7 hours ago, badname22 said:

What type of international players do you think we'll see in the CPL? any "notable" names?

I was in Melbourne for the first decade of the A League, and Dwight Yorke and Robbie Fowler aside, I hadn't heard of any of the various imports during the first 5 years

I would expect a few of the Whitecaps residency players to be loaned to the CPL. However, I know they're also working on putting together a "touring" side that would go off to Mexico, Europe, etc for game action next year, as the loan deal with Fresno this year hasn't worked at all.  

On 8/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, Bison44 said:

I thought WC2 got mothballed because of the expense??  Now they are going to get together a touring team and go overseas for exhibitions??  

Its a lot cheaper to build a squad for 2 or 3 trips as opposed to running a separate professional team. This touring group will be made up of their prospects which are already on MLS contracts, best U19 residency players, and a handful of local Usports guys they can bring in for free to fill out the roster.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, Watchmen said:

I would expect a few of the Whitecaps residency players to be loaned to the CPL. However, I know they're also working on putting together a "touring" side that would go off to Mexico, Europe, etc for game action next year, as the loan deal with Fresno this year hasn't worked at all.  

What even is that loan deal?  Give Verhoeven 20+ matches and that’s it?  What a fail.

The fact that there’s only 71 Canadian Players that have played in the USL this season out of about 100 on rosters just shows how they go missing 

Judging by Steven Sandor’s The11 Weekly Power Rankings the majority of them are not starters

And in MLS it’s less than 30

CPL (8 Teams X 25 Players)

200 Spots for ?? Content 

I hope 75% (150) of it are domestic 

I find it hard to believe 29 Canadians haven’t played in usl.. maybe you could account for 10 guys on tfc ii but where are the rest?? All the American teams with Canadians have given them at least one game and there’s quite a few guys I’ve never heard of.

They disbursed a bit this year.  L1O has a fair bit of former USL or TFC academy players in it.

October to January is going to be interesting because a lot of guys are going to settle in soon.

If I was running a CanPL team I would probably look to sign about 8-10 better” Canadian players, 8-10 International players and then a whole bunch of guys on tryout deals.  Like 20 Canadian players on non guaranteed training and camp invites. Let them fight it all out in camp and see who sticks.

I look at past FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury Rosters will give some indication of the type of players that will be making up the rosters in this league. Guys with MLS and low league Europe experience without a contract at that level.

Id also look at Canadian NCAA graduates without an MLS contract. And Very high level CIS players

Canadian USL and NASL players

L1 players and PDL players

MLS academy graduates without MLS contract

Youth Canadian Internationals without a meaningful

Foreign born players with Canadian parents or grandparents

Older pros like Nick Ledger wood, David Edgar who are on the tail end of there career

I think it has the possibly for a competitive league from the start

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see these players on CPL rosters next year as permanent or on loan 

Obviously some will be harder to get than others From the MLS Sides.

Whitecaps - Melvin, Baldisimo, Bair

TFC - Hamilton, Telfer, Daniels

MTL Impact - Shome, LBG, Beaulie & Choiniere brothers

Ottawa will most likely want to keep the majority of their squad

More approachable looks to be guys on American Teams

Edited by Thomas