Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Here is something I have been working on for a little bit. It's a work in progress, but an idea of some players and which teams they'd fit on. Its pretty rough and I know a lot of these players will not be available right off the bat.

I mostly only included domestic players. I only added a few notable internationals (those with Canadian ties or ties to teams). Also of note was that I assumed that domestics would be the same way that they are in Voyageur's Cup (Eligibility for National team)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dTMV4fYyjl8QHMv927nWl6dS6X5GDi-1axjc5GhbywI/edit?usp=sharing

LEGEND

Green - Domestic

Blue - Domestic Loan

Red - International

Edited by deschamp86

Great job deschamps.. I think your list illustrates the fact that we probably need to allow more internationals off the bat.  We also need to make the internationals count ie don’t waste a spot on emery welshman but look for a techera instead.  Lots of names that I’ve never even heard of but also a few names left off that I could see coming home. York 9 looks real nice there.

i could see us getting some guys on loan too who may be “bigger” names in Canada soccer like Froese, Bustos, Twardek, Millar, Borges, David, Zanatta, Godinho.. but it all depends on how professionally the clubs are run. 

How do the Whitecaps own their players since usl is done?  Verhoeven is listed as being signed straight to Fresno for instance.  I think these guys in mls teams systems are going to have so much leverage because it’s either sign me to an mls deal or I’m gone. 

Edited by Keegan

29 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Great job deschamps.. I think your list illustrates the fact that we probably need to allow more internationals off the bat.  We also need to make the internationals count ie don’t waste a spot on emery welshman but look for a techera instead.  Lots of names that I’ve never even heard of but also a few names left off that I could see coming home. York 9 looks real nice there.

i could see us getting some guys on loan too who may be “bigger” names in Canada soccer like Froese, Bustos, Twardek, Millar, Borges, David, Zanatta, Godinho.. but it all depends on how professionally the clubs are run. 

How do the Whitecaps own their players since usl is done?  Verhoeven is listed as being signed straight to Fresno for instance.  I think these guys in mls teams systems are going to have so much leverage because it’s either sign me to an mls deal or I’m gone. 

I left off any Canadians playing in South America, Asia, Oceania, as I could not decide how they would fit in skill wise. For the most part used the UEFA Coefficients to get an idea for level of the European leagues.

This list is definitely very optimistic as I guarantee 75% of these guys probably aren't even available, so a lot of internationals and loans will be needed at first

On 7/3/2018 at 8:11 AM, deschamp86 said:

Here is something I have been working on for a little bit. It's a work in progress, but an idea of some players and which teams they'd fit on. Its pretty rough and I know a lot of these players will not be available right off the bat.

I mostly only included domestic players. I only added a few notable internationals (those with Canadian ties or ties to teams). Also of note was that I assumed that domestics would be the same way that they are in Voyageur's Cup (Eligibility for National team)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dTMV4fYyjl8QHMv927nWl6dS6X5GDi-1axjc5GhbywI/edit?usp=sharing

LEGEND

Green - Domestic

Blue - Domestic Loan

Red - International

Love your list. Your version of Valour FC could have a really sweet starting 11:

Babouli - Danto

Messoudi - Bustos - Froese

LBG

??? - James - Boskovic - Beckie

Farago

LB would be a tough one but maybe this team could recruit a prairie boy in Brett Levis. Anyways, just having some fun with it but this really is the type of starting 11 that would make me extremely excited to watch the CanPL.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, Fullback said:

I threw a spreadsheet together of players I think would have interest in CPL

AbyZhvm.png

It's interesting but:

1) Levis is on the list twice.  Also, he's gotten some decent playing time with the Whitecaps this year.  Enough that I don't think they'd be loaning him out yet.

2) When Edgar left Nashville earlier this year, I believe he said he thought he could still play at a higher level than what the CPL was going to be at this stage and wasn't planning on going to the CPL at this time.

3) Akindele is still playing in Dallas.  Not as much, but enough that I don't see him dropping down to CPL yet.

4) I saw someone mention Aird, but Aird's dream was to play in Scotland, which is exactly what he's doing.

10 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Love your list. Your version of Valour FC could have a really sweet starting 11:

Babouli - Danto

Messoudi - Bustos - Froese

LBG

??? - James - Boskovic - Beckie

Farago

LB would be a tough one but maybe this team could recruit a prairie boy in Brett Levis. Anyways, just having some fun with it but this really is the type of starting 11 that would make me extremely excited to watch the CanPL.

Talking about recruiting a prairie boy for the left back position, there is one player  that comes to mind and who may be an an alternative for coach Gale. Aaron Hidalgo-Mazzei( born in 97) is a local Winnipeg product currently playing for F.C. Winnipeg Lions of MMSL. He was part of the NDC program and was called to a national U18 camp in Slovakia in 2015. He was also part of the Real Salt Lake Arizona academy.

38 minutes ago, shamrock said:

They have a real headstart for sure. And if they will dominate the whole USL discussion can be put to rest as well.

I doubt they will field this line up in CPL. I'd expect them to go after stronger internationals. It would be a mistake to underestimate the other teams despite the head start in domestic content. Adding great internationals is critical. How many and how good those internationals will be will determine the quality of play in CPL in year one.

Regardless, the quality will go up year after year. 

Edited by Ansem

Nice spreadsheet.  I think Canizalez-Smith would be unlikely - he'll be old and the salaries won't be worth uprooting the life he's had in Germany for the last decade. Ditto Gavin McCallum.  If a guy has been hacking it out in the nether regions of pro soccer in Europe for as long as these guys have, they're not only settled but comfortable with the level they're at.  And if this league is relying on Eddy Sidras and Tyler Rosenlunds, we're doomed.

Stamatoploulos, why would he come back?  He's GK coach at the top team in Sweden, and well-settled.  I don't see Manjrekar James giving up all hope of a Euro career just yet if he's toiled this long in Hungary and now Denmark.

I'd say Aird is a lock for coming back.  Ditto Aleman, Trafford, Checinski, Gasparotto, Simeon Jackson, Ricky Gomez. As for Issey, it might depend on which locale and the money to make it worth his while.  Might be hard to go from the beaches of the Indian Ocean to those of Lake Winnipeg.

34 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I doubt they will field this line up in CPL. I'd expect them to go after stronger internationals. It would be a mistake to underestimate the other teams despite the head start in domestic content.

Like who? 

They have a head start in the selection (they had the first pick so to speak) but also in chemistry and also in the organization of rest of the club as well. Doesn't necessarily mean they will be the first Champs, but they sure are the favorites IMO. 

11 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Like who? 

They have a head start in the selection (they had the first pick so to speak) but also in chemistry and also in the organization of rest of the club as well. Doesn't necessarily mean they will be the first Champs, but they sure are the favorites IMO. 

There's plenty of international talent to go around. Seems likely that they will target CONCACAF nations according to numerous past interviews from league and Montagliani. 

Ottawa going to CPL with this chemistry is great, adding strong internationals to push them further is better and I'd be shocked if they didn't go down that route

32 minutes ago, Marc said:

Nice spreadsheet.  I think Canizalez-Smith would be unlikely - he'll be old and the salaries won't be worth uprooting the life he's had in Germany for the last decade. Ditto Gavin McCallum.  If a guy has been hacking it out in the nether regions of pro soccer in Europe for as long as these guys have, they're not only settled but comfortable with the level they're at.  And if this league is relying on Eddy Sidras and Tyler Rosenlunds, we're doomed.

Stamatoploulos, why would he come back?  He's GK coach at the top team in Sweden, and well-settled.  I don't see Manjrekar James giving up all hope of a Euro career just yet if he's toiled this long in Hungary and now Denmark.

I'd say Aird is a lock for coming back.  Ditto Aleman, Trafford, Checinski, Gasparotto, Simeon Jackson, Ricky Gomez. As for Issey, it might depend on which locale and the money to make it worth his while.  Might be hard to go from the beaches of the Indian Ocean to those of Lake Winnipeg.

Its not possible for us to know what is going on in the heads of these guys,  but it certainly leads to an interesting discussion.

Although I made the sheet, I would be extremely surprised if even half of these guys ended up in CPL in the first year

I

15 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Also want players to be able to negotiate fairly instead of being held hostage as they are in MLS.

Unlikely as their contracts are owned by the league. I totally envision MLS being fully aware of CPL teams looking at filling their teams, to inflate the value of said transfers. If this happens, I hope teams goes younger instead and invest in paying better internationals as a finger to MLS. Ignore them long enough and the prices on those players should decrease over time as the demand will be low for them, however, this approach must be a "league-wise" approach for this to work. 

MLS would want nothing more than to make money off CPL buy making them go into bidding wars over players, making them pay for them at above market value and to put an early financial stress on the new league.

I'm hoping as a league, all the owners are aware of that and have a contingency plan for that. Like I said, just go younger and bet on those young players to have a fast learning curve by mixing them with very strong internationals.

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

Unlikely as their contracts are owned by the league.

In the context you said this it sounds like you are referring to CPL. Are you actually talking about MLS? We know this about MLS, but I don’t believe this has been said about CPL, and since all CPL rosters are empty at the moment, I don’t think we have much evidence to say contracts will be owned by the league.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

In the context you said this it sounds like you are referring to CPL. Are you actually talking about MLS? We know this about MLS, but I don’t believe this has been said about CPL, and since all CPL rosters are empty at the moment, I don’t think we have much evidence to say contracts will be owned by the league.

I was talking about MLS, meaning that players can't do much without the club+league agreeing to it. If the league have an agenda at burying CPL, they might make things harder for CPL.

I think that per example a team like LAFC wants to sell a player to Cavalry, the league might step in and jack up the price knowing CPL is in dire need of quality Canadians. Technically, MLS ultimately has last say although it delegates powers to the teams. That's my understanding of that league's system.

Some will say "why would MLS do that"? I say that if they can make extra cash while adding extra financial stress on ownership potentially competing with them, why the hell wouldn't they? This is business and this is the reality of a cross-border league competing with a domestic league advertising that they are as D1 in title as you are. Business-wise, you need to bury them before they compete for the same audience. That's business and c'est la vie. 

1 minute ago, shamrock said:

CPL teams won't be "buying" MLS players anytime soon. They might sign a player from MLS but to actually pay for it? Maybe later. 

CPL teams will just be signing transfer-free USL- players for the most part. 

Yea I think we'll see CPL will be selling to MLS and some MLS talent loaned in (I think we'll see this year one) or signed on free transfer but no CPL buying MLS guys for a long ass time.

17 hours ago, shamrock said:

If you buy the best players in the league it'll take you far. It will be interesting to see the first intra-league sell. Which team is prepared to put down the dough for a Championship like Miami FC did in NASL?

That didn't end up working out for them in the long run though, remember. 

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lots of News

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8739451-hamilton-s-own-and-here-to-stay/

• Mitchell reiterated that the average team would have from $3-4 million at risk in Year One, "and it scales up from there."
  • There will be a salary cap, and overall rosters will contain between 23 and 25 players, half of whom will be Canadians.

At least six of the 11 players on the field at any one time will have to be Canadians.