Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

The fact that anyone is going to give any attention to U sports soccer up here is a plus.  It kind of sounds like it will be behind closed doors.  Maybe  there will be co-operative approach this first draft and surprisingly western kids will come out west, maratime kids will go to halifax etc etc.  I dont think they can be cut throat this early when everyone is looking for local kids to help establish an identity for the club.  

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I am also skeptical as to the legality of a draft unless the league is a "single entity" rather than an affiliation of independent clubs. I suppose CPL must be the former as they have a draft. Which is different from what I was expecting and hoping for.

A draft doesn't hinge on the league being single entity. The NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB (and CFL) are all made up of independent clubs and all have drafts.

If you're talking about soccer, Mexico has a "draft" as well, although it is much different to what we're used to in northern North America.

1 hour ago, RS said:

A draft doesn't hinge on the league being single entity. The NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB (and CFL) are all made up of independent clubs and all have drafts.

If you're talking about soccer, Mexico has a "draft" as well, although it is much different to what we're used to in northern North America.

Thought this was interesting. I cannot vouch for the credentials of the author but he implies that these drafts are only legal because the player unions have agreed to them:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-the-NFL-Draft-MLB-Draft-NBA-Draft-and-NHL-Draft-legal

Thinking about a non sports context for a moment, if a recent graduate wants to work for IBM, they can tell him where his job is. But if the tech companies hold a draft and tell him that he cannot work for IBM because he has been drafted by Microsoft, I'm pretty darned sure that would be illegal. And in the absence of specific legislation to the contrary, it would surely be illegal for sports teams too.

I believe that MLS has side stepped the issue with its single entity structure, so that players "work for" MLS rather than a specific franchise.

Anyway, just a theoretical question really, since drafts do happen and complaints are rare (but not unprecedented -- recall Eric Lindros and Quebec).

Edited by dsqpr

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

David Choinière, Mathieu Choinière older brother will be let go by Montreal Impact. 

He just had surgery to his ankle but is said to be talented. Hoping the 21 years old gets  his chance in CPL

Thought he looked good in his initial cameos. Can only think the injury took it's toll. Surprised they would let him go so easy. 

Definitely some solid players out there if CPL can afford them.

That’s for US anti-trust laws.  We’re not operating i the US.  Idon’t think it’s quite the same for Canada.  Also players aren’t required to only play in Canada or even with CPL.  They could sign with a MLS team or sign abroad.

It would be hard to apply anti competition laws like this in Canada with other options on the table.

God damn it OKC energy resigned Drew Beckie and Marco Bustos for the 2019 season, FFS 

Was really hoping both would want to play home in the CPL with Valour in Winnipeg with Rob Gale 

As if they needed them more than we did ? 

I don’t get why Canadians in USL or Canadians that are fringe bench players for MLS Teams would want to continue to play in an American League 

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^pro level payers chase after the contract that provides them with most money given it is a short career.

Man USL pays peanuts okay? They don’t have a salary cap (minimum or maximum) therefore teams can pay their players whatever and it’s safe for more franchises to join

$400K-$650K 

CPL hasn’t announced their roster rules yet and since its unproven unlike USL (been running for years) of course there’s doubts 

North of 1M in Operations (Players+Staff) does not mean 500K for 23 

Rumour has it the average will be 40,000-50,000 Dollars 

Edited by Thomas

Isnt OKC  the Dallas USL affiliate??  Maybe the promise of impressing someone and getting a shot in Dallas made them sign.  I wouldnt worry about those kinds of guys (Beckie) anyway...if a CDN  can make it in another league with a good deal, go for it.  Its kids straight out of Usports/NCAA or academy casts offs they need to target until they can start bringing up their own youth prospects.  M Chauniere is a perfect example.  

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

God damn it OKC energy resigned Drew Beckie and Marco Bustos for the 2019 season, FFS 

Was really hoping both would want to play home in the CPL with Valour in Winnipeg with Rob Gale 

I don’t get why Canadians in USL or Canadians that are fringe bench players for MLS Teams would want to continue to play in an American League 

A lot of players we have not even heard of yet will emerge as stars in season one. I wouldn't shed any tears over those who try to play safe by signing elsewhere.

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I must admit, I am not a big fan of player drafts. They can end in a stand-off between a player and a club he does not want to play for. I think players should be free to sign for any club they choose. The salary cap is the mechanism that will support parity.

To those who like the media exposure provided by a draft, I say this: if we keep the draft, how about giving the club an exclusivity period during which only they can negotiate with the players they draft? But it would be important for this exclusivity period to end in time for the player to negotiate with other clubs afterwards and not miss any matches as a result.

I am also skeptical as to the legality of a draft unless the league is a "single entity" rather than an affiliation of independent clubs. I suppose CPL must be the former as they have a draft. Which is different from what I was expecting and hoping for.

As for the legality of the draft, the U-sport players have to opt into the draft... They are welcome to become free agents if they want to. The draft doesn’t eliminate the other ways of building a roster in this case. Many other leagues like the NHL, all the best players get drafted. In this league, if you are the best player, I am sure you have the option to negotiate a contact outside of the draft. It just means you give up your u-sport eligibility. This draft just gives players the option to tryout for pro, without having to sacrifice their college eligibility. 

People need to stop thinking of this draft as a regular draft. This is more like a pre-arranged League-wide loan opportunity. 

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

If anything this is a good reality check for those who thought we would repatriating every promising young Canadian player with even a cup of coffee worth of experience abroad.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

If anything this is a good reality check for those who thought we would repatriating every promising young Canadian player with even a cup of coffee worth of experience abroad.

I did have some hopes of Bustos coming back to WPG to be the hometown face of the team.  

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

...North of 1M in Operations (Players+Staff) does not mean 500K for 23...

It's not clear yet what is implied by operations being used in that context rather than salaries. In addition to Beckie and Bustos there has also been Luca Uccello signing with Memphis 901. Three isn't enough to constitute a solid trend yet but it does suggest that the grass might still be greener on the USL side of the fence in salary terms as the various rumours from Ottawa as to why the Fury steered clear strongly implied.

https://canpl.ca/

Looks like the timer has re-emerged on the CPL website and appears that the results of the draft will be announced at:

UTC -8 PST Pacific Standard Time Vancouver 9:00am
UTC -7 MST Mountain Standard Time Edmonton 10:00am
UTC -6 CST Central Standard Time Winnipeg 11:00am
UTC -5 EST Eastern Standard Time Toronto 12:00pm
UTC -4 AST Atlantic Standard Time Halifax 1:00pm
UTC -3:30 NST Newfoundland Standard Time St. John's 1:30pm
Edited by deschamp86

10 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Man USL pays peanuts okay?

The players themselves surely have a better idea by now what is on offer from the CPL clubs. If they can get a better deal elsewhere, more power to them.

The CPL will provide competition for Canadian players, but it's not going to be the be-all and end-all of a certain level of player. And that's ok. A widening pool of players in professional environments is what we want, no? 

I'd like to also point out that players re-upping with their USL teams also know their current team, their coach, etc. With 0 CPL players announced it will be hard for them to know if they will get playing time or not. What the level of play will be, etc. They are in a situation that they are apparently happy enough with, and might not want to risk hurting their playing time, visibility with MLS teams, or getting playing time but in a possibly inferior league. Right now there are a lot of unknowns, so it's not terribly surprising that some players will opt to stay with the devil they know.

Something most doesn't seems to not realize is this...

If you're a USL club and you know CPL is starting a new league + looking for Canadian talent, why wouldn't you resign your Canadian player and sell him at the winter transfer window? Why let him go and get nothing in return? I'd resign my Canadian guys and wait for CPL to call me to buy their contracts if I was them.

The question is, will CPL buy some, most or very little?

From the player's perspective, it's a win-win and he'd be stupid to turn it down. No one says no to a check. You either get bought by CPL and get paid or stay in USL and get paid. CPL being slow at revealing the salary cap and numbers is intentional... It protects them from players & agents demanding above market value salary. By not knowing the financial scheme of the league, their agents negotiating power is lessen. That's vital for a year 1 league.

The league knows what it's willing to spend. So there's a danger that USL give inflated contracts to guys trying to sell them off to the league but CPL could just pass and the club gets stuck with it. I get the vibe that the league won't fall for it and are willing to make due with up and coming, paying them minimum salary and invest more towards attracting internationals and Foundationals. The league did say that it will be a young league.

My prediction

Pool 2 (USL and developmental leagues + Euro lower tier)=No more than Market Value  or less

Pool 3 (Home territory)= Minimum wage

Pool 4 (USports and college)=Minimum wage or less than minimum

Pool 1 & 5 (Foundational and International)= Market value or higher

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Something most doesn't seems to not realize is this...

If you're a USL club and you know CPL is starting a new league + looking for Canadian talent, why wouldn't you resign your Canadian player and sell him at the winter transfer window? Why let him go and get nothing in return? I'd resign my Canadian guys and wait for CPL to call me to buy their contracts if I was them.

The question is, will CPL buy some, most or very little?

From the player's perspective, it's a win-win and he'd be stupid to turn it down. No one says no to a check. You either get bought by CPL and get paid or stay in USL and get paid. CPL being slow at revealing the salary cap and numbers is intentional... It protects them from players & agents demanding above market value salary. By not knowing the financial scheme of the league, their agents negotiating power is lessen. That's vital for a year 1 league.

The league knows what it's willing to spend. So there's a danger that USL give inflated contracts to guys trying to sell them off to the league but CPL could just pass and the club gets stuck with it. I get the vibe that the league won't fall for it and are willing to make due with up and coming, paying them minimum salary and invest more towards attracting internationals and Foundationals. The league did say that it will be a young league.

My prediction

Pool 2 (USL and developmental leagues + Euro lower tier)=No more than Market Value  or less

Pool 3 (Home territory)= Minimum wage

Pool 4 (USports and college)=Minimum wage or less than minimum

Pool 1 & 5 (Foundational and International)= Market value or higher

I'd be very surprised if in the first few years the league buys players at all

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If it doesn't count against the cap, why not? It be surprising if they didn't 

USL players are usually on 1 year contracts. Why are you going to spend money on buying a player of that caliber when you can get him in the off season for free if you really want him.