Samuel Piette

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Bordeaux is the level of club I would expext for Piette if and when he decides to go back to Europe.

really? I think Larin would have a hard time starting there. That seems too big of a jump 

Just now, canta15 said:

really? I think Larin would have a hard time starting there. That seems too big of a jump 

It would be a major move up for him, but if there really is someone who believes he could do it, amazing. 

I think that for Garde it would be a lot more honest to stay with Impact at least until season's end, it is his job, they gave him the contract, he has something to learn still. I don't agree with anyone jumping ship that lightly. And furthermore: if he tries to go against Impact's will, any imaginary transfer for Piette to the same club becomes immediately more tricky.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It would be a major move up for him, but if there really is someone who believes he could do it, amazing. 

I think that for Garde it would be a lot more honest to stay with Impact at least until season's end, it is his job, they gave him the contract, he has something to learn still. I don't agree with anyone jumping ship that lightly. And furthermore: if he tries to go against Impact's will, any imaginary transfer for Piette to the same club becomes immediately more tricky.

Ligue 1 vs MLS? and the man's french? I'll be shock if he turns down Bordeaux...a Europa club. He stays in Montreal only if a deal couldn't be reached between both parties.

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Ansem said:

Ligue 1 vs MLS? and the man's french? I'll be shock if he turns down Bordeaux...a Europa club. He stays in Montreal only if a deal couldn't be reached between both parties.

But that is the point, I thought it was clear. If Bourdeaux "steal" Garde from Impact with his contract in place, then there is no frigging way the Impact are going to transfer Piette to Bourdeaux. It is obvious. They'd send him anywhere else, if Piette insisted on a move and there was some transfer money: anywhere BUT Girondins if the deal with Garde is not amicable.

In any case, at least Equipe mentioned Garde, along with three other potentially higher profile coaches. Or even Poyet staying. 

Not one French paper has mentioned Piette, don't think. It is like the Osorio case. If it is not there, it is not there, ignoring the rumour mill and pretending that you can have a serious transfer rumour with no rumour at all--that is illogical and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how transfers work 98% of the time.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

In this hypothetical situation, I am imagining what sort of player Piette could be in two or three years, when he is in his prime.

Assuming he continues to grow and develop at this rate, I imagine a 26/27 Piette could earn his keep at a mid level French side, no?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Very impressed with his early season form after playing every single game last year.

Impact have lined up in a true 4-3-3 so far this year, and Piette has been locked in as the true CM. 

Sometimes I forget he is only 24, hopefully he stays on this trajectory :). 

Herdman will have some interesting decisions come game day!

Piette gets underrated here because we have depth at CM.  He’s a really good CM playing at a good level in MLS.  

The moment that Hutch retires from international play I think he’s locked into being a top 3 CM for us for the next 6 years and I suspect he will retire as the first male Canadian with 100 caps!

4 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

His tackle and subsequent outlet pass to Piatti to initiate the Impact’s first goal yesterday were both superb. 

I just saw the highlights but he looked great, both without and with the ball. I knew he was good without the ball but he has improved a lot from only short passes to spraying long balls. Played with great confidence. 

8 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think part of the underrated thing is because he’s been around for so long despite just being 24. You begin to take his incredible talent for granted as more “current” stories and players and get more of the interest. 

Such a good player

To be fair he played at a comparively low tier for so long that no media source  (and few Vs) would give his story the time of day, despite those in the know like Jeff alerting us to his slow but distinguishable rise.

He's a rare example of a Canadian returning to his country and gaining heaps of (albeit hard-earned) respect, the kind that guys like Edgar and and Issey rightfully thought they might be returning to as well.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, nolando said:

To be fair he played at a comparively low tier for so long that no media source  (and few Vs) would give his story the time of day, despite those in the know like Jeff alerting us to his slow but distinguishable rise.

He's a rare example of a Canadian returning to his country and gaining heaps of (albeit hard-earned) respect, the kind that guys like Edgar and and Issey rightfully thought they might be returning to as well.

Don't forget about Patrice Bernier, who also toiled hard in Europe yet was often considered an unheralded,  "just another guy" in our NT set up but deservedly earned massive props for his play in MLS with the Impact.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:16 AM, nolando said:

I think his story says two things. First, maybe third tier in Spain is not so bad after all, maybe teams should be looking for players from that level for CPL , for example, since Piette was just a good player on a modest team in a level with 80 teams. 

Then, and more importantly: he was obviously good enough to move up a level and play 2nd division in Spain, as he could likely handle any European 2nd tier. But had no decent offers. That is odd, really, he was not really appreciated by the market either. So at least Impact had the character to bring back a Quebecker and give him the confidence and the starts.

What I’m guessing might play a factor for all players from Canada and even the US still is that these European clubs and leagues still hold a bit of a bias with regard s to players from Canada and even the US. Therefore, whenever you might have a bad game or even make a bad play they are probably still thinking oh ya see he is Canadian that’s why he has played badly sort of thing. Players from traditional soccer playing countries probably get away with being allowed to have a lot more bad games than Canadian players over there and are probably giving more of a chance to succeed. Therefore, I don’t think it’s always based on ability on why some players go over there and seem not to advance at playing at higher levels but then come back here in the MLS and soon to be CPL and play well and you then wonder how could this player who plays so well here and with the national team not have made it to a higher level over there like Piette.

Edited by 1996

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think his story says two things. First, maybe third tier in Spain is not so bad after all, maybe teams should be looking for players from that level for CPL , for example, since Piette was just a good player on a modest team in a level with 80 teams. 

Then, and more importantly: he was obviously good enough to move up a level and play 2nd division in Spain, as he could likely handle any European 2nd tier. But had no decent offers. That is odd, really, he was not really appreciated by the market either. So at least Impact had the character to bring back a Quebecker and give him the confidence and the starts.

It probably also has something to do with him being a defensive midfielder which makes it harder to shine or be noticed. An offensive player lighting up the third division will get some attention. A defensive midfielder stopping the other teams' attacks may just seem to be  "a good player on a modest team". 

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

It probably also has something to do with him being a defensive midfielder which makes it harder to shine or be noticed.

A very good point. Looking back a couple of decades it's a somewhat similar situation to Daniel Imhof, a rather unspectacular defensive midfielder who was perhaps underrated by most Canadian soccer fans yet managed to play four seasons in the top tier in Germany.

Imhof had the good fortune of playing for a coach who recognized his abilities and took Daniel with him each time he moved to a new, higher level team. Most players aren't that lucky.

Edited by Norrin Radd

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It probably also has something to do with him being a defensive midfielder which makes it harder to shine or be noticed. An offensive player lighting up the third division will get some attention. A defensive midfielder stopping the other teams' attacks may just seem to be  "a good player on a modest team". 

Okay, but I live in a country were DMs are highly appreciated, not to overstate, but enough. 

And he was young. So a young DM you could sign for even minimum wage in Spanish 2nd, which is about what he is making at Impact. Almost exactly. 

Here's the comparison: Piette was playing in Navarra, and Jon Erice is from Navarra. The latter is vastly more experienced. Who is better? Maybe I need to see Erice a bit more, but there is no clear difference from what I can tell at this stage.