Floro Must Go

Joe Keeper

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is long overdue Canada hire a Central American manager. Not a Canadian. Not a European. Someone from, say, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. Someone who "knows thy enemy". Someone who can bring a bit of attacking flair to our tactics.

The one great thing about the game tonight was, yes we were going out, but we went out fighting and pressing the attack. Why not try a cycle with a bit more of this mentality? Parking the bus and eking out the odd 1-0 win has got us dick all for nearly 20 years.

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

Robinson would be one to look at

If we are thinking of a coach the quality of Robinson to replace Floro then Floro needs to stay absolutely. I think Floro failed and should go like every manager after a failed WCQ but not if we are going to replace him with someone of the calibre of Robinson. If we are going to get rid of Floro we need to upgrade on him not downgrade.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think it is long overdue Canada hire a Central American manager. Not a Canadian. Not a European. Someone from, say, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. Someone who "knows thy enemy". Someone who can bring a bit of attacking flair to our tactics.

The one great thing about the game tonight was, yes we were going out, but we went out fighting and pressing the attack. Why not try a cycle with a bit more of this mentality? Parking the bus and eking out the odd 1-0 win has got us dick all for nearly 20 years.

yup, what's wrong with a bit more attacking mentality..

12 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Wait, so that U23 squad is going to be a golden generation of Honduran talent? Then doesn't that mean that Pinto got so far with more talent? That Costa Rican squad went on a fantasy run 2 years ago, let's see how Pinto does with this group of Hondurans before we say he's better than Rueda.

And dude, Robinson? Seriously?

They became the golden generation after making it far to the Olympics.  Nobody believed they'd make it that far.  That confidence will help Honduras in the next WCQ cycle because some of those players will have a belief that a WC berth is easily attainable.  Meanwhile, we're still shitting the bed at the CONCACAF Semi-final fround for the last 5 WCQ cycles.  Something's gotta give for us hopefully.  I only threw Robinson's name because he has some experience in MLS and playing some CCL games, as well as having contacts down south.  I'm sure Robbo would get us friendlies against Chile, Uruguay, Honduras, Venezuela, etc, without Vic Mont's help.  I picked Robbo also because he would fit the budget of the CSA, if they don't wanna splurge on Pinto and knows the lay of the land intimiately, so he knows what he'll be up against, compared to any other successor to Floro and sees the state of the local game here.

But we attacked, and were in control, and deserved so much better from this match.  Our finishing tonight was really poor, but I guess that was Floro's fault? 

I'm sick of of us being a nation that fires our coach all the time.  Hart needed to go, because of 8-1.  Mitchell needed to go because we were so poor.  But this is different.  We play the ball out of trouble under Floro.  We looked really good tonight, in spite of our finishing.  And the subs that he made, are pretty much exactly the subs people called for vs. Honduras! (putting on a striker, and taking of a tired Hoillet) 

Are you just looking for someone to blame?  I guess that's the business, and I understand, but scrutinizing without so much emotion will show that we deserved better.  And that he got the most out of this team.

And let's look critically at who is better.  I expect he'll quit, to be honest, but who will come in next?  I fear it will be Rob Gale which is not an upgrade.  And those of you that are suggesting Robinson are showing your lack of intelligence for many reasons.

Let's have some perspective for a moment. 

Let's look at Floro's record as a whole 

Floro's record

GP-W-D-L-GF-GA

31-9-11-11   30gf 28ga

Competitive matches
13-5-4-4  15gf 10ga

Realistically, I think this is where Canada is in the football world. However, he failed at the Gold Cup, and failed in WCQ. I think he should go, but having him gave us some legitimacy which got certain players to commit. I would say if we choose Gale or Robinson or some other loser, better to keep Floro, but I think we need a new coach. 

1 hour ago, finchster said:

Let's have some perspective for a moment. 

Let's look at Floro's record as a whole 

Floro's record

GP-W-D-L-GF-GA

31-9-11-11   30gf 28ga

Competitive matches
13-5-4-4  15gf 10ga

Realistically, I think this is where Canada is in the football world. However, he failed at the Gold Cup, and failed in WCQ. I think he should go, but having him gave us some legitimacy which got certain players to commit. I would say if we choose Gale or Robinson or some other loser, better to keep Floro, but I think we need a new coach. 

almost EXACTLY what i was thinking except ure conclusion.

kungfucious opinion here speak: floro responsible is yes, floro take blame is not.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

I could see this being an easy escape for Robinson, whom I believe doesn't deserve the boot at vancouver, but will probably be under the microscope from the knee jerk front office in Vancouver. I'm not sure if he is the answer but he is an honest genuine and extremely hard working guy that would everything he could for the job. 

Should be interesting.

Robinson is useless tactically, in squad management, in fixing problems, and in supporting Canadian players. Anyone suggesting him simply wants the worst for our program. So go fuck yourselves Robbo supporters, excuse my French. 

Rubi is free, his teams always play very well. And he's in our price range: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubi_(entrenador)

Basically I think there is a generation of very competent younger coaches with experience, tactical understanding, better English than Floro, and maybe a bit more ambition. In our price range. I don't think we have to only think about Hispanics, though it does make sense considering we want to challenge Central America, especially, as our nemesis, so we need a bit of a mentality that corresponds.

Fact is that there is tremendous quality in S America, and the advantage is that they are hungry even after having been on teams with decent level. Take the guy coaching Independiente del Valle last year, took a total underdog so deep into Libertadores, Pablo Repetto. Early 40s, from Uruguay, was a Fenix player in fact, incredible results, took out River in quarter finals and Boca in semis, lost just barely the final. He has just signed for a team in the Emirates, but that must be for money, I am sure he wants more. Maybe not ready for a  national team, but still. There are dozens of guys like this in S. America.

Floro was very un-Hispanic, to be honest, he never asked us for ball possession, for example. We were unwise tactically and did not read games that well. But then he renounced certain tactical advantages he promised he would implement, like free kicks to heads. We worked on it, it worked for us a bit even, but he was not committed to them. But I like many here liked his sense of order, his realism, and admit we were competitive almost always. We lacked finishing and were pretty well the whole way through just a goal from getting further, just a goal. He failed, we have to replace him, but building on some of the positives.

The fact we did not manage to qualify for the Copa America (whilst Haiti made it), the lack of regular friendlies, the failure at the Gold Cup - all did not do any good to Floro's position. It might not be entirely Floro's fault - depth being an issue - but I believe a new coach is required in circumstances. Stephen Hart qualified for the Hex with T&T and not Canada. Under that assumption Hard could have stayed and continued development of the Senior team for us. But of course his job needed to be cut as a coach's target is set beforehand and when not attained, a change is made.

My 1 year old son has the toy that teaches him about shapes. The one with the star, circle, square, etc. The idea is to put each shape in the correct hole. I think Benito taught Antonio that you can just put whatever shape you want in each hole. Even if it doesn't work the first time and everyone else sees that it doesn't work you just keep on trying.

5 hours ago, RJB said:

But we attacked, and were in control, and deserved so much better from this match.  Our finishing tonight was really poor, but I guess that was Floro's fault? 

I'm sick of of us being a nation that fires our coach all the time.  Hart needed to go, because of 8-1.  Mitchell needed to go because we were so poor.  But this is different.  We play the ball out of trouble under Floro.  We looked really good tonight, in spite of our finishing.  And the subs that he made, are pretty much exactly the subs people called for vs. Honduras! (putting on a striker, and taking of a tired Hoillet) 

Are you just looking for someone to blame?  I guess that's the business, and I understand, but scrutinizing without so much emotion will show that we deserved better.  And that he got the most out of this team.

And let's look critically at who is better.  I expect he'll quit, to be honest, but who will come in next?  I fear it will be Rob Gale which is not an upgrade.  And those of you that are suggesting Robinson are showing your lack of intelligence for many reasons.

Rvery nation in the world fires their coach after failure. We gave floro over 3 years. Is the head coach of canada a lifetime gig?

how can you compare the subs we wanted in 45 degree heat in honduras when we were down a goal to 15 degree vancouver when we're up 2 goals needing 2 more. 

Thats apples to oranges. 

Floro has made a mochary of managing the national team. The national team head coaching job isnt a charity. It shouldnt be a package deal where ones unqualified son gets a free ride

over 3 years and he has produced zero results. Thats more than enough time to show something

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

If for whatever reason SF Deltas have issues getting into the NASL, the CSA should throw all the monies at Marc Dos Santos.

At least we know he'd get a little bit animated and light a fire under his players' asses instead of just sitting there looking half-bored most of the time.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Floro was very un-Hispanic, to be honest, he never asked us for ball possession, for example.

That was after he saw 1 training of the lads. To play possession football with this group is just suicide. He did form a bus and get players into the fold that really were upgrades. However we still seriously lack talent. Just compare some squads it's just insane some people here think we are on par with Honduras or even Jamaica. Heck we should be happy to beat Trinidad! 

I really think Floro prepared the group the best way to have A CHANCE of getting into the Hex. He can't however, install some Messi-genes into Ricketts. 

Fire the guy and replace him with Hiddink all you want. The 1 think that will get us in the hex is better players. They are coming, albeit slowly, but they are a-coming. Only one more decade...

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Robinson is useless tactically, in squad management, in fixing problems, and in supporting Canadian players. Anyone suggesting him simply wants the worst for our program. So go fuck yourselves Robbo supporters, excuse my French. 

Rubi is free, his teams always play very well. And he's in our price range: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubi_(entrenador)

Welcome to the board Mr. Lenarduzzi!

You can make a case why floro should stay and why floro should go. Thats life.

However, those who just say fire him, might be thinking too much with emotion and not with their heads. If we can find an upgrade at the coaching position then its something to consider, but if we fire floro to downgrade then thats a terrible decision.

Example, if we fire floro and then be stuck with finding a proper replacement and settle for someone like Colin Miller.....then that would be a Horrible decision.

ALSO, remember last world cup cycle at the end of it everyone was wanting a coach with a Wealth of experience and track record of coaching many teams. Thats what we thought we got.

So people calling for Robinson as the next manager.....are basically saying they want to go back to a relatively unproven and inexperienced manager.....that just boggles my mind (makes me think people are talking with too much anger/emotion and not what makes sense).

Pushing for Carl Robinson makes very little sense.   No offense to Carl, but the only reason we know who he is is because he coaches Vancouver and played for Toronto.  If Carl was a no name American coach with a similar MLS resume, this board would go ballistic if he was the new hire.

Archived