Floro Must Go

Joe Keeper

I think Daso said they had a meeting later this week to determine the direction of the program moving forward, so hopefully we'll hear something by the end of the week re: Floro and Floro. 

The performance of Benito tonight only cements how horrific of a manager he is. When commentators, including a sideline reporter are genuinely all perplexed on-air at what's happening, along with most of the fans in here, something is seriously wrong. 

To the Floro supporters, take this into consideration:

At just over three years, the Canadian Men's National Team job is the longest tenure Benito has ever had in a coaching position at one club or country in his entire career, and he's been coaching since 1978! 

All I ask the CSA is to not be the rubes who get swindled by this man for three more years. PLEASE, I beg you! I can't watch Floroball any more.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SCF08 said:

That was such a key result. I can remember a lot of people being happy with a point away in El Salvador even when half their squad was on strike.

The loss in Honduras hurt because of the lack of effort from the coaching staff in trying to get a draw which is inexcusable but the draw away in El Salvador was the key. That was unnecessary.

That was so frustrating. People really need to increase their expectations or else we will never get the changes that are necessary to get this program forward. It's as if there's been so much failure these past 2 decades that we are incapable of believing that our team could pull off a result.

Other than Robbo, I would poach Honduras's coach the Colombian Jose Luis Pinto.  He's doing wonders in Honduras.  Qualified the team to the Hex, and took the U-23 team to the Olympics semi-finals.  He won't cost an arm and a leg and he's more insightful than Benito having coached Costa Rica, Honduras and Colombia.

We have an 8-figure cash reserve and an $18M balanced budget, but we only pay our MNT head coach C$350K a year? Something needs to change if we want to continue retaining our top talents. For guys like Ballou Tabla, Davies and Tomori to chose us we need to increase that coaching budget and make our MNT more attractive to play for.

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

We have an 8-figure cash reserve and an $18M balanced budget, but we only pay our MNT head coach C$350K a year? Something needs to change if we want to continue retaining our top talents. For guys like Ballou Tabla, Davies and Tomori to chose us we need to increase that coaching budget and make our MNT more attractive to play for.

Agreed. Look at the US paying their coach 3 million a year. That's quite the staggering difference. If we aren't going to pay top money then we can at least go for top MLS coaching talent or like another poster said in another tread, poach the likes of Pinto from Honduras. 

3 minutes ago, koolvid said:

Agreed. Look at the US paying their coach 3 million a year. That's quite the staggering difference. If we aren't going to pay top money then we can at least go for top MLS coaching talent or like another poster said in another tread, poach the likes of Pinto from Honduras. 

The better Colombian coach would be Reinaldo Rueda who is both a disciplinarian and a master tactician. He has taken Colombia, Honduras and Ecuador to the WC. Currently coaching Atl. Nacional in Colombia so he could be had if the CSA decided to increase the coaching budget by a realistic amount.

33 minutes ago, gator said:

Not sure if Larin was really gassed or just ineffective, he has been average at best in a Canada shirt!

I hope he doesn't turn out like Wondo has for the USA. Good in the MLS but meh to say the least for their country. Wondo being an MLS legend.

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

The better Colombian coach would be Reinaldo Rueda who is both a disciplinarian and a master tactician. He has taken Colombia, Honduras and Ecuador to the WC. Currently coaching Atl. Nacional in Colombia so he could be had if the CSA decided to increase the coaching budget by a realistic amount.

I wonder if the language barrier is what makes both the federation and coaches hesitant to making this types of decisions from happening. Sometimes coaches deliberately pass up on the offer because of it and in this case stay coaching in latin american or spanish speaking countries. None the less good option in the one you mentioned.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Other nationalities (Colombians being included) who are under-rated in terms of producing quality coaching exports: Portugal, Serb/Croat, Germany, Italy, France...maybe Argentinian, Chilean...over-rated: British, Brasilian, Dutch...maybe Spanish

It's time to bring Diego Simeone home.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Bob Bradley is open to returning to Major League Soccer. Think he'd consider coaching Canada? He got lowly Stakaek into Europa.

I had been following that development and it was impressive. Stakaek fans on reddit speak of him as a hero. I don't think his stint with Egypt was bad either.  Egypt was perfect in its first six matches of qualifying but fell to Ghana in the round playoffs. Unlucky Ghana being arguably the best team in that entire continent. Also he was there while all the turmoil was happening in egypt with their revolution. 

24 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Rueda is over rated.  He took all those teams to the World Cup, but only to the Round of 16.  Pinto is already proving his worth with Honduras by making it far with the U-23 team.  I expect that team to give Canada fits in 4 years time, as that team will be Honduras golden generation.  Pinto likes to work with the youth systems too, so that's another reason why he would be good fit here.  We need to re-haul the youth system, because although we're getting more players playing pro, they aren't taught the basic skills that most Central American countries possess.  Just watching the small Salvadoreans today, pass the ball around, with control and finesse, even if they were eliminated shows that they at least try to create something.  Canada historically, has always relied on speed, agility and the odd long ball.  Time to adapt more ball control, short passes and precision to the players game.  What good is a Cyle Larin, if he misses so many chances today.  Reminded me of Hurtado for the Caps and the amount of chances he misses to score.

Unfortunately I honestly think we simply won't pay for a coach good enough. 

For all his faults Klinsmann saw the bigger picture and grew the profile of the state's team. Albeit Bradley did lots of the groundwork. 

We need someone that will inspire not only the players but current and future fans and raise the profile of the game in Canada. Someone that really wants to get his hands dirty and work with the coaches we have at all levels.  

I could see this being an easy escape for Robinson, whom I believe doesn't deserve the boot at vancouver, but will probably be under the microscope from the knee jerk front office in Vancouver. I'm not sure if he is the answer but he is an honest genuine and extremely hard working guy that would everything he could for the job. 

Should be interesting.

14 hours ago, king1010 said:

Minutes before the 8-1 game many people thought our program was in excellent shape. One game and the whole program was in shambles. Hart had our team in excellent position. Had we got a draw in that game everyone would be saying how much upside we had. 

I'd say 3 years with the same coach is pretty stable. Unstable would be changing coaches during the middle of a WCQ cycle. Changing coaches after a WCQ cycle has concluded doesn't affect stability IMO. 4 Year world cup qualifying cycles see lots of turnover from players (hutch, de guz gone). That would cause more instability than coaching. 

I'd argue leaving players who were once pegged to captain the team like Will Johnson off the roster for questionable reasons(see starting unattached unfit players) adds more instability than anything else. 

I constantly said here before the 8-1 game that we were a poorly coached team under Hart and constantly outcoached and did not have much of a tactical formation. I stand 100% behind that assessment. I did not agree with everything Floro did but I think he did bring a strong tactical formation to the team. And his assessment that we needed to play defensive was not really incorrect even if we did not get through this group in the end (and a much harder group than we were in during the last WCQ). In the end it comes down to us not having enough skilled players and not having the type of ball skills and athletic ability to win in very hot countries against teams that have ball skills even the low level teams like El Salvador and who have a lot of depth (the Honduran A team might not be man for man a lot more skilled than us but their B or C teams would kick the ass of our B and C teams). That was ultimately a problem for both Floro and Hart and as the saying goes, every coach is a better coach when he has better players. 

As I have always said, I think we need to hire the best coaches possible because we are still weak in skill level compared to the other CONCACAF B level sides and do not have conditions that can give us a home field advantage like they do. I think Floro was as good as we could have got 4 years ago but he failed and should move on and we should try our best to upgrade. Still we need to be putting a team of 11 players on the pitch at a skill level the same as or not too far from Hutch, Arfield and Hoilett if we want to consistently advance in CONCACAF and guys who are playing constantly for their clubs. If we can't do that we will need a combination of a really good coach and some luck to qualify.

31 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Rueda is over rated.  He took all those teams to the World Cup, but only to the Round of 16.  Pinto is already proving his worth with Honduras by making it far with the U-23 team.  I expect that team to give Canada fits in 4 years time, as that team will be Honduras golden generation.  Pinto likes to work with the youth systems too, so that's another reason why he would be good fit here. 

Wait, so that U23 squad is going to be a golden generation of Honduran talent? Then doesn't that mean that Pinto got so far with more talent? That Costa Rican squad went on a fantasy run 2 years ago, let's see how Pinto does with this group of Hondurans before we say he's better than Rueda.

And dude, Robinson? Seriously?

Archived