Floro Must Go

Joe Keeper

3 minutes ago, theaub said:

He's forced himself into this no-win situation by not either winning in El Salvador or drawing in Honduras

If ol' Fresh Prince of Donair head coach can get us to the same situation as glorious ex-Real Madrid manager who cares who we bring in.

This.

It is BS to act like V's are being shortsighted or unfair since poor Floro can't win.  The opinions expressed here are not about  single underwhelming performance in Honduras.  They are about multiple factors that were on display over multiple games that have led to people calling for his dismissal.  This false dichotomy that he will be criticized whether they lose or win while getting scored on not only ignores the history of this issue, but ignores the other possibility - that we win by a couple of goals without conceding (something that should be well within the realm of possibility against an eliminated ES team.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Not true ... people here will think higher of him that he is still not a stubborn you know what.

Coaching is adapting to changing scenarios and being prepared for them.

Also, he knows what he signed up for - if he gets us through he will reap the spoils ... if not, them the breaks.

I know what you mean and agree with a lot of it.  That being said I tend to think that too many people want quick fixes/instant gratification and think we're better than we are.  The developmental infrastructure in the Canadian system is the real issue here  It's not Floro's fault the country hasn't produced viable players at certain positions (right back)

I'm not going to respond to all the different takes on my opinion.  Like I said earlier in the thread, we're going to agree to disagree and that's fine.  The wonderful thing is we'll all be watching and cheering for the same thing tonight.  And since I'm done work now I'm done and will peak back in tomorrow.  Allez Les Rouges.

6 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I know what you mean and agree with a lot of it.  That being said I tend to think that too many people want quick fixes/instant gratification and think we're better than we are.  The developmental infrastructure in the Canadian system is the real issue here  It's not Floro's fault the country hasn't produced viable players at certain positions (right back)

I agree with this completely. Simply putting the blame on Floro is an incredibly short-sighted viewpoint. Yes, he has made some very baffling decisions, and he needs to go barring making the Hex via a miracle, but he's not the real problem with the national team program right now.

I don't think anyone is blaming it all on him.  That is part of the false dichotomy that has been going on all thread.  No one expected Floro to come in, fix the program top to bottom, win the WC, and give us all a gentle reach around for good measure.  

But there is a big difference between not blaming him for all the ills of our program, and not blaming him for the things that are in fact under his control.

Some of the problems in our program relate to youth development.  CSA just installed DeVos to hopefully lead a new era of player development.

Some of the problems in our program relate to the transition years from amateur to pro.  We have new pro academies that have recently filled this gap and are starting to produce players.

Some of the problems in our program relate to the way our Nat team has been coached - at least in the eyes of many on this board.  THIS is the problem those advocating for Floro's replacement are seeking to address.  Not all that other stuff.  Not the stuff way outside his zone of control.  Just the stuff in that box - like team selection, substitutions, and tactics.  Everyone pointing to those other structural issues are not addressing the criticisms of Floro that are legitimately in-scope.

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I agree with this completely. Simply putting the blame on Floro is an incredibly short-sighted viewpoint. Yes, he has made some very baffling decisions, and he needs to go barring making the Hex via a miracle, but he's not the real problem with the national team program right now.

I'll speak for only myself but I agree with the problems re: development structure. I see the larger, long-term concerns that have existed for as long as I can remember. And they deserve addressing and De Vos can begin to do that.

With that said, in reference to the discussion at hand I think this obfuscates from the short-term problems regarding Floro. Yes, our player pool has weaknesses and deficiencies, but so do most teams in CONCACAF. We aren't comparing ourselves to Germany, we're comparing ourselves to Guatemala and Honduras and Trinidad. These aren't powerful systems churning out world class XIs, they are much like us. Hell, Germany can't even find a starting striker right now! I believe, most in here are talking about making the hex or getting out of the group stage of the Gold Cup, not winning the World Cup! 

I truly and honestly don't think it's the quick satisfaction problem, because if that was the case Floro would have never lasted this long to begin with and we'd be on our third coach in three years like many other nations are.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Its not his entire fault, nobody is saying he is at total fault.

His decisions have done nothing to improve our chances. 

You shell out money for an experienced coach to punch above your weight(or at least at your weight). 

I bet ppl in Leicester 2 years ago thought they didn't have the players to win the premier league and their development infrastructure was the real problem.... until they hired a coach who found how to win with the players they had...

Again, nobody is saying its entirely his fault. He's had his chance over 3 years and hasn't produced any results worth nothing. 

perfect time to chime in following some talk about ranieri...

it doesnt matter who is the coach, its the guys on the pitch playing. if the talent is not good enough, tactics hide ure weaknesses until they are exposed.  

i was a fan of hart and felt he was dismissed with much too consideration on a terrible conclusion to an overall positive campaign. what i fear is that floro will be missed much the same in 4 yrs (not saying this campaign has been the same positive).

a national program needs consistency and patience.  i say give him another go. hes not perfect but the boys seem to like him.

1 hour ago, kungfucious said:

perfect time to chime in following some talk about ranieri...

it doesnt matter who is the coach, its the guys on the pitch playing. if the talent is not good enough, tactics hide ure weaknesses until they are exposed.  

i was a fan of hart and felt he was dismissed with much too consideration on a terrible conclusion to an overall positive campaign. what i fear is that floro will be missed much the same in 4 yrs (not saying this campaign has been the same positive).

a national program needs consistency and patience.  i say give him another go. hes not perfect but the boys seem to like him.

Johnson osorio teibert love him too bad they never got to be guys on the pitch or even on the bench for that matter in our most decisive games. The players seemed to like hart too save for occean until we lost 8-1. Had we advanced they probably would have loved him

how many national programs keep coaches for 8 years(and at leastthe first 4 without reaching any significant milestone. Ie. Gold cup qfs, hex, copa qualification) as some people are suggesting

and if you're saying a coach can disguise our weaknesses like ranieri did for leicester allowing us to qualify for the world cup only to have teams discover our weakness next cycle, count me effing in for this coach

lastly, "he's not perfect but the boys seem to like him" doesnt sound very convincing. 

1 minute ago, red card said:

Nothing new there. Previous managers haven't made HEX, Olympics, got a Copa invite and we haven't been out of group stage in Gold Cup in the past 3 versions.

And they got fired for not reaching their target. And they were paid much less. And they didnt come as package deal with their son. And they werent foreign. 

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

And they got fired for not reaching their target. And they were paid much less. And they didnt come as package deal with their son. And they werent foreign. 

Don't disagree. If we don't make the HEX, Floro should be gone.

But Floro's performance has been on par to slightly better since the Osieck days. If you think he was a disaster, then he follows others rather than being an outlier. 

After Osieck, we got a bunch of Canadian coaches who were incompetent ex Hart. But Hart produced 8-1. Counter reaction was to go foreign. Given Canada's stature in football, you need to pay up and offer perks provided to other foreign managers.

Look you need a combination of bunker soccer and positive soccer, unfortunately Floro was all about bunker soccer and nothing else and it shows with his player selections. Would in it be nice if we had an Ocean, Osorio, Tiebert and even a Cavallini either on the field or on the bench in this game, however, we don't and yes I know in terms of Cavallini it was more of the players choice it looks like but the others are mainly on Floro, and I forgot to mention Johnson, just for leaving out all these players, Floro must go.

Archived