Floro Must Go

Joe Keeper

It is time to move on from Floro, he tried and failed at his attempt to qualify for WC2018. It is another disappointment for us all and we got sit back awaiting the next qualifying round. Now I am hoping that the CSA take their time and research thoroughly the next coach credentials before making a choice if going for experience. If they're crazy enough they might go after a Canadian coach or Canadian in process in becoming a coach. Would of loved to see Marc Dos Santos take the helm, but he just took the job with San Fran team I believe. For new coaches and I do not know what they're doing now based on becoming coaches the likes of De Rosario, De Guzman, Stalteri, and other former Canadian players. Heck even the two Canadian coaches in college should be looked at. May not be the most popular choice, but I would not mind seeing a Canadian leading the way again. Although I would want them to come in with new ideas, a fiercer mentality on both sides of the ball, and more. Overall everyone have to be under the same philosophy in moving forward and implementing changes throughout the entire CSA program. The next few years will be crucial for the development of the next generation. Most important is playing a lot of games every friendly window needs to be filled with games at every chance possible. Many believe Canada does not have the talent, but we do its comes down to having the players not fear the opposition and believe that they can beat these teams. If Floro is dropped have an interim coach in place and play upcoming friendlies in Canada... Let's move on and fight on for the next one.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of hiring Bradley, and give him the leeway to do what Herdman has done, which is have a lot more direct interaction with the young players who are developing with our clubs and academies etc.  Bradley knows CONCACAF, he will be a great motivator, and I feel (for some reason), that he'd be a lovely partner for what Devos will be attempting to achieve etc. Thing is, Bradley is pretty expensive, no?

3 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

I really like the idea of hiring Bradley, and give him the leeway to do what Herdman has done, which is have a lot more direct interaction with the young players who are developing with our clubs and academies etc.  Bradley knows CONCACAF, he will be a great motivator, and I feel (for some reason), that he'd be a lovely partner for what Devos will be attempting to achieve etc. Thing is, Bradley is pretty expensive, no?

2021 headline on ESPN.

"Former American Coach & Father of American Captain Michael Bradley stuns USA & qualifies for the 2022 World Cup with a 2-0 victory over team USA".

One can dream right?

I know it may be a pipe dream.... 

Does anyone know Bradley's current salary?

At one point he was favored by the bookies to be the new coach of HULL CITY but re-signed with Le Havre. I believe until spring 2017.  I Imagine he wants to finish the job and see Le Havre back to Ligue 1. True class, since he was favored to coach a BPL team I imagine he would cost a pretty penny.

Regardless I know for a fact some CSA's & Devos read this board so the fact Gator tossed his name out there and we are semi-promoting him, good on everyone. As I said before massive upgrade over Floro in my opinion, with more CONCACAF experience, etc. etc. and better player development.   He may be on Devos radar already but as for the CSA they probably even forget he existed, so props Gator.

Anyways, I think it would be insane if the CSA at least did not gave him a phone call come spring-summer 2017 and see where he stands.

Some parting thoughts from de Guzman about Floro (very similar to what DeVos said last night on TSN regarding the biggest weakness of Canadian youth system):

He’s brought something priceless. I always go back to what (Dwayne DeRosario) said and there are many guys that have said this: they’ve never been taught football,” said de Guzman. “The first time DeRo said that was toward the end of his career. Nobody ever taught him football and that’s something Benito brought here for a lot of the young guys.”

Ricketts: “For me, he’s brilliant. He’s one of the best coaches I ever had and he just showed us a different side of the game we’d never seen before. It improved our national team and we’re going to have to see what’s going forward."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/after-another-world-cup-exit--benito-floro-era-appears-over-for-canada-123933158.html

Anyone know what Floro makes coaching Canada? I've read Sigi Schmid was earning around $500k.

Also odd name to throw out there but what's the story with Dwight Lodeweges? Is he worth a look?I've never followed Dutch soccer that closely so I don't know if he has anything to offer

1 hour ago, red card said:

Some parting thoughts from de Guzman about Floro (very similar to what DeVos said last night on TSN regarding the biggest weakness of Canadian youth system):

He’s brought something priceless. I always go back to what (Dwayne DeRosario) said and there are many guys that have said this: they’ve never been taught football,” said de Guzman. “The first time DeRo said that was toward the end of his career. Nobody ever taught him football and that’s something Benito brought here for a lot of the young guys.”

Ricketts: “For me, he’s brilliant. He’s one of the best coaches I ever had and he just showed us a different side of the game we’d never seen before. It improved our national team and we’re going to have to see what’s going forward."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/after-another-world-cup-exit--benito-floro-era-appears-over-for-canada-123933158.html

There was a debate on this board a while back, probably 7-8 years ago and Unnamed Trialist and I were arguing this very thing. Instead of trying to teach players to become the next DeRo in a structured setting we need them to learn to actually interplay with their teammates, tactics, positioning etc. The skinning and taking guys on one-on-one is for the school yard.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Anyone know what Floro makes coaching Canada? I've read Sigi Schmid was earning around $500k.

Also odd name to throw out there but what's the story with Dwight Lodeweges? Is he worth a look?I've never followed Dutch soccer that closely so I don't know if he has anything to offer

My educated guess is that the CSA went back to the old coaching budget of 350K which is what Holger Osieck was being paid (he was also TD though). Yallop was paid that amount as well, but then Mitchell and Hart were making less.

I could be wrong, but i thought Bob Bradley was paid $1M a year to coach Egypt. TBH if we're going to spend that kind of money we can get someone better than Bradley. Also, if we're going to get an American i would still prefer Bruce Arena, who offered to coach Canada back in 2007 for $US500K.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Interesting to hear. Of course, Ricketts and De Guzman were 2 of Floro's absolute favourites as well, so any system that incorporated them so heavily they would probably like! 

52 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

could be wrong, but i thought Bob Bradley was paid $1M a year to coach Egypt. TBH if we're going to spend that kind of money we can get someone better than Bradley. Also, if we're going to get an American i would still prefer Bruce Arena, who offered to coach Canada back in 2007 for $US500K.

Did he really? Why on earth didn't they go for it? 

Bruce isn't in danger this year. But he needs silverware soon.I actually think he's good with young players, but he definitely favors veterans and at times over-favors them. 

6 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Honduras made the 2010WC, Rueda left because they wouldn't pay him more. They qualified in 2014 under Luis Fernando Suarez, let him go. The current coach Pinto, got Costa Rica to the knockout rounds in 2014 and they let him walk....our biggest rivals have no problems letting quality managers go because they know continuity is with the players and not the coach.

In part but also because they are willing to pay for another good coach and confident in their ability to choose one. They have let good coaches go but also replaced them with good coaches. If we are willing to go our and get a Rueda, Suarez, Pinto or equivalent then by all means we should let Floro go. If we are going back to the era of coaches like Hart, Yallop and Mitchell and considering guys like Robinson or even Dos Santos (who may one day be a good choice for national team coach but that day is at least 10 years and several successful coaching stints away) then 4 more years of Floro please. There are better coaches than Floro out there but if we are not willing to pay for them and/or accept how they will shake up the system then we should stick with Floro.

5 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

To me there's no "yeah but" in regards to floro.

We didn't make it to the copa (YEAH BUT we can still have some good gold cup showings)

We didn't have any good gold cup showings (YEAH BUT we can still make the hex)

We didn't make it to the hex (YEAH BUT... oh.... crap...)

This is where I am. had we made the Copa I think I could let not making the hex slide, but we didn't have any real success under Floro. I'd argue that is mostly on the players, but sports is a result based business and we can't fire the players. I will say Floro actually knew tactics and seemed to have our guys play well and having an experienced coach at the helm gave us some respectability which I think led guys like Arfield, Holiett, and Vitoria to play for us. But this should be a turning point for Canadian soccer, not a return to the old. Let's find a coach like Floro, let's get someone who can bring respect to our team and perhaps get some different results. 

But, if the plan is some lower coach, let's keep the guy.  Also, I want the CSA to sign a guy quickly after firing Floro to get some semblance of stability and the new coach can build his vision of the team right away. 

1 hour ago, One American said:

Did he really? Why on earth didn't they go for it? 

Bruce isn't in danger this year. But he needs silverware soon.I actually think he's good with young players, but he definitely favors veterans and at times over-favors them. 

The CSA did not have the money to meet his demands. They settled for Dale Mitchell who they were paying probably not much more than 250K. So with the exchange Arena was asking for more than double what they paid Mitchell.

It's a multifaceted position. It certainly should not just be about the head coach but making sure we have a set of coaches that can work and inspire just as well and fill multiple roles.

We need a coaching set up that yields

- the best possible on field results 

- works through all levels to help consistency and building for the future.

- has either the record/charisma to inspire and catch the imagination of not just the players but fans both current and bringing in new fans. 

Interesting to hear the positive comments about floro. If teaching players about soccer is a perceived problem and necessity the CSA needs to look at possible more get togethers or correspondence with players especially in the off season.

8 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Can't tell if you don't follow International futbol or new to the sport. Every country around the world has fired their coaches after bad performances or after a WCQ cycle.  They only stay if they exceeded the goals set out.  So far Benito has failed all goals set out from him.  Failed to get out of the Gold Cup group stage in a very easy group, IMO. Failed to qualify to the Copa America Centenario. Failed to make the Hex.  Failed to qualify to the Olympics.  So far 0-4.  He has brought some fence sitters to commit to Canada, but who knows if they'll come back after Floro is gone.  I agree that a coach with a good pedigree, preferably someone that has CONCACAF, CONMEBOL experience should be who the CSA should pursue.  No more people across the pond who have no idea of the rigours of playing down south.

although, we could have qualified for the copa America ... Anything is possible, however I would not consider floro not taking us there to be failure. If you don't like him, that's your opinion, but don't be harsh. Let's be 100% objective.

4 hours ago, red card said:

When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear.  I believe that's a Buddhist saying which seems appropriate here.  Which leads me to ask:  in his prime, would DeRo have been ready to listen? 

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

There was a debate on this board a while back, probably 7-8 years ago and Unnamed Trialist and I were arguing this very thing. Instead of trying to teach players to become the next DeRo in a structured setting we need them to learn to actually interplay with their teammates, tactics, positioning etc. The skinning and taking guys on one-on-one is for the school yard.

Yes,what we really need is somebody like Floro establishing  a system Canada wide that teaches our coaches how to teach total football, at every level, so that our players can grow up with this foundation in the palms of their feet--or whatever--and do not need to play for 15 years before they finally get a coach who shows them how to use this foundation. We need Floro, or that knowledge, much earlier in the development of our very young players, our kids.  Maybe Devos will enlist somebody like Floro to help establish that system. I respect Devos, but I do not believe he himself has enough knowledge and experience to deliver the system, the total football education plan. He is the guy to make it happen, but he is not the technician.

Archived