Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CSA posted this video. 

While this might excite most, I can't help but think the CSA needs to put me in charge of their Instagram. I'd fill it with shitposts, dank memes, weird headlines and pictures of me, my cats and cartoons i draw.

53 minutes ago, matty said:

The CSA posted this video. 

While this might excite most, I can't help but think the CSA needs to put me in charge of their Instagram. I'd fill it with shitposts, dank memes, weird headlines and pictures of me, my cats and cartoons i draw.

Will senpai notice you?

Interesting bit from Rollins on the Soccer Today pod yesterday, the CSA had been working on this for months and kept it under wraps.  Also this was the fifth time that they had helped speed up the process.

So any chance Davies might convince Ballou Tabla to join the program.  I doubt Ballou could care less if wven Mont Vic begs him to choose Canada but if say Cavallini and Davies talk to him one and one and the benefits playing for the maple leaf and this time Canada won't be a gong show witg incompetent coaching, that might pursuade Tabla to committ.  Worth a shot.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

So any chance Davies might convince Ballou Tabla to join the program.  I doubt Ballou could care less if wven Mont Vic begs him to choose Canada but if say Cavallini and Davies talk to him one and one and the benefits playing for the maple leaf and this time Canada won't be a gong show witg incompetent coaching, that might pursuade Tabla to committ.  Worth a shot.

Don't see why Cavallini would talk to him but Davies is friends with Tabla so he would be the one to convince him

The longer Tabla is away from Drogba the better.  Give him time, the program seems to be on a upswing, Canada is a great place to live and work, maybe he'll feel more CDN when he thinks about these things.  I hope Tabla watches the Curaco game.

Either way, glad to have Davies on board, he looks good in red.  

I thought Edgar is our go too guy for recruiting.

I'm happy about Davies being on board, and Cavallini coming back, but just to temper expectations a bit (because we can't have nice things) just keep in mind that neither are the best in their position for our team. Cavallini I don't think is as good as Larin. Davies obviously has the potential to be very good, but at this point he's not as good as Hoilett (who I believe plays the opposite side, so I guess not quite like for like) for sure and arguably Tesho and Aird.

So good for us long term if they reach their potential, but they still have to get to that potential to start making a big difference I would think.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I hope Tabla watches the Curaco game.

Yeah, assuming we win. It could easily have the opposite effect. We've played poorly against minnows in the past. Winning this game and having a long run in the Gold Cup would do wonders.

5 hours ago, canta15 said:

Don't see why Cavallini would talk to him but Davies is friends with Tabla so he would be the one to convince him

Ya, I don't think having Cavallini talk to Tabla would do any good.

"Hey Ballou, maybe one day you'll be good enough to play for Uruguay."

Davies committing to the squad will only help the Tabla recruitment if his experience in Montreal and the Gold Cup goes as expected and he plays a meaningful role on the team.  They are close in age, and if Alphonso is on the pitch and contributing, hopefully Tabla will see that his path to international awareness and improved career options are better served joining and playing for Canada, rather than sitting on the bench for the Ivory Coast.

22 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Davies is legitimate supersub material at this stage. How nice is it that we have someone who is a legitimate attack threat come off the bench. Not just someone who is fast, but someone who is good.

he's honestly pushing for a starting role for the whitecaps.  I like that Robbo is limiting his minutes, but he would easily be on the starting eleven and he wouldn't look out of place.

23 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Davies committing to the squad will only help the Tabla recruitment if his experience in Montreal and the Gold Cup goes as expected and he plays a meaningful role on the team.  They are close in age, and if Alphonso is on the pitch and contributing, hopefully Tabla will see that his path to international awareness and improved career options are better served joining and playing for Canada, rather than sitting on the bench for the Ivory Coast.

Or sitting at home waiting for the Ivory Coast. 

Injuries with the Whitecaps might mean more playing time for Davies. Bolanos was subbed out of Costa Rica's WCQ game with a shoulder injury. Mezquida is in a walking boot after the bad tackle in the Canadian Championship. Reyna and Ibini are coming back from injury. Not sure when they will be ready. Hurtado is still out. So in attacking positions, all they really have now is Montero, Shea, Techera, Greig, Rosales and Bustos. Davies is better than a lot of those options.

Had an interview w Tony Marinaro on TSN690 Montreal radio. Good kid. Says he didn't speak with Tabla about why he would hold out and he would need to talk to him. He thinks it would be amazing for both of them to be in the line up. Explained why he chose Canada even though by birth he could've played for Ghana he never considered it an option saying he grew up in Canada, educated in Canada and everything he has is cause of this country and one of the best countries in the world. 

Honestly I don't suspect he would be able to say much to influence Ballou at least until later on once he's had some caps under him and the program gets results. Then he could say "hey man we got something good going on we need you." or something to that effect. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/davies-proud-to-play-for-canada-1.774725

Yeah, we just got Davies on board, and by all accounts he is exactly the kind of motivated player we want.  No need to start pressuring him into becoming some recruiting agent.  Plus I am sure that OZ will do whatever subtle encouragement he feels is appropriate.  Lets just play the kind of footy that makes Tabla want to be a part of it and see where the chips fall. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, we just got Davies on board, and by all accounts he is exactly the kind of motivated player we want.  No need to start pressuring him into becoming some recruiting agent.  Plus I am sure that OZ will do whatever subtle encouragement he feels is appropriate.  Lets just play the kind of footy that makes Tabla want to be a part of it and see where the chips fall. 

Agreed. There should be no pressure on Davies to speak with Tabla. Davies should perform well and continue to attract international attention as a Canadian international. That is better than any sales pitch.

I can't imagine Davies being able to convert Tabla right now. Can you imagine a 10th grader trying to convince you to do anything when you were in grade 12? haha

Tabla is now just another potential Canadian player who would have accepted a call up to his real country if he was good enough (ie. the Cristane crowd). Hopefully he will commit some day and still be good but he's not in the same boat as Davies.

I'm just going to be super stoked that Davies is incredibly excited and honoured to throw on the Red and White AND has the potential to be a critical squad player for a long time! If we happen to be at the 2026 World Cup, Davies will be a 25 year old... Think about that.

Tbh I am almost as excited at raheem edwards emergence as Davies. 

While Tabla would be another exciting addition. Hoilett and Tesho are playing well and aren't going anywhere soon. We have an underbelly of youth that might well contribute over the next couple of years too. Ivory coast might be a hard route to get a game but at this point he won't walk into the Canadian starting line up neither should we bend over backwards beyond showing him he is wanted and that we think it is his best option to develop.

We need more Alphonso's to buck the trend laid for young players with a nation choice to make. 

Quick question: Now that Canada has, in such a short period, secured Davies(likely), Arfield, Leutwiler, Akindele, Hoilett, Cordova(likely), James and Aird are we going to continue to be so paranoid about every duel national?

1 minute ago, matty said:

Quick question: Now that Canada has, in such a short period, secured Davies(likely), Arfield, Leutwiler, Akindele, Hoilett, Cordova(likely), James and Aird are we going to continue to be so paranoid about every duel national?

Yes. Especially if they're really good.

Archived