Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

On 2017-05-29 at 5:36 PM, Bison44 said:

They are terrible, when my wife got her permanent res they gave us a 6-8 month window for completion date.   A quick look at the gov website suggests a 6-12 month wait time for citizenship, depending on what kind of application he had to fill out.  The CSA should be calling the immigration/citizenship minister everyday bugging them about this

I'm not a Citizenship Canada expert but what I do know from experience is that in special cases they can speed up the process for someone "important". Not sure if playing soccer for the CMNT would fall under that category. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say. I'm seriously impressed w Davies recent performances. Like aside from the goal there was that one part in the second half where he went Beast Mode and hunted down Piatti like a jackal on his prey going full out from a few yards back and when he got to him pounced and bounced him off. That was like Unicron devouring the planet from the Transformers animated movie! Made Piatti look like an ant and Davies is only 16!

8 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

I'm not a Citizenship Canada expert but what I do know from experience is that in special cases they can speed up the process for someone "important". Not sure if playing soccer for the CMNT would fall under that category. 

FIFA specifically forbids countries from speeding up citizenship processes for soccer players; they need to go through the normal process. Canada has a expedition clause within the citizenship process, but to my knowledge it is only used by government agencies.

50 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/octavio+zambrano+names+27man+canada+squad/13411577/story.html

"Highly touted Vancouver Whitecaps teenage Alphonso Davies is waiting on his Canadian passport with Zambrano saying the 16-year-old Liberian-born midfielder will be invited to camp as soon as it arrives."

Davies is looking quite committed to Canada at the moment. Doesn't look likely for the gold cup though.

So... Reading way too much into this... He's waiting on his passport? Or his citizenship? Because if it's his passport it will be a matter of days. If it's his citizenship it will be a matter of months. Or he's waiting for his citizenship then his passport.

Could a citizen of another county play for Canada in a friendly?

2 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

So there is still a chance we see him at this coming camp and game vs Curaçao.

Well that's what I interpreted from the article. Maybe I'm alone, and hopeful, but they said to camp, not to a camp, and passport not citizenship.

Davies came on as a sub this weekend and looked more confident than I'd seen him in the past, skipping past players and making decent runs. In the highs and lows of a young player, he's certainly riding a high. 

IF his eligibility was sorted out I think he could definitely be a great player off the bench during the Gold Cup (not saying this should happen but it wouldn't be out of place).

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Davies has traveled abroad before, and recently.  Why would he be waiting for a passport?  I'd suggest OZ was just using "passport" interchangeably with "citizenship". 

You need a passport to play in official FIFA matches and you can't obtain a Canadian passport before you have Canadian citizenship. At least that's what I understand.

Davies probably has a Liberian passport which allows him to travel. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Davies has traveled abroad before, and recently.  Why would he be waiting for a passport?  I'd suggest OZ was just using "passport" interchangeably with "citizenship". 

8 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Now that Davies is a citizen, he'll be able to apply for his Canadian passport immediately. I just checked the passport processing times on the CIC website and he should definitely have a passport in hand before the 2017 Gold Cup:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/times.asp

You can also pay an extra $75 and have it in 2 days.  I suspect we could raise the necessary funds to expedite the process in about 4 seconds.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You can also pay an extra $75 and have it in 2 days.  I suspect we could raise the necessary funds to expedite the process in about 4 seconds.

I'm sure the CSA is assisting in this and a kickstarter isn't needed :)

Archived