Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mluciani said:

Unfortunately, Gold Cup squads are supposed to be in June 1st to CONCACAF. Davies became a citizen after that, so I don't he can play in the Gold Cup. Unless there is another way.

Canada's has not been released yet. I assume this was the hold-up.

The 2017 Gold Cup statutes aren't online, but per the 2015 ones passports don't need to be provided until the final roster is submitted and the team arrives, so there's no reason they couldn't have put Davies on the provisional roster in the hopes he would get his passport.

At least that's how I interpret it (refer to http://www.concacaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Gold-Cup-Regulations-2015-ENG.pdf pages 19-21)

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

The 2017 Gold Cup statutes aren't online, but per the 2015 ones passports don't need to be provided until the final roster is submitted and the team arrives, so there's no reason they couldn't have put Davies on the provisional roster in the hopes he would get his passport.

At least that's how I interpret it (refer to http://www.concacaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Gold-Cup-Regulations-2015-ENG.pdf pages 19-21)

This is how I saw it. The CSA put him on the 40 man hoping he would pass the test and receive his citizenship ASAP, they delayed the 40 man roster release because they didn't want to jump the gun without certainty, now they will either submit the 40 man roster or release the 40 man roster if it's already been submitted. 

2017 Gold Cup regulations are online and stipulate that participating associations shall select players who are nationals of its country and that a 40 player list must be provided no later than 35 days prior to the start of the competition. There is a penalty of $10000 for late submission of roster so the only way that Davies could have been or be included is if they sent the roster today or will later on and paid or will pay the late submission penalty.

According to the 2017 Gold Cup regulations the list shall be published and made public by the CONCACAF General Secretariat. Doesn't say that member associations have the obligation to publish their list. 

Just now, Ruffian said:

Let's hope we don't end up doing really well in this Gold Cup and then get disqualified due to an ineligible player.

Nope.  Citizen and passport imminent.  Him happily holding up his CMNT jersey.  No way I am getting pessimistic about this one.  Not trying to heap too much expectation on the guy, but it is hard to describe just how excited I am about him in red and white. 

Nice to see he finally became a Canadian citizen. Now hopefully he can continue his growth in the game and not be a savior to Canada he is going to be part of a new growth for the CSA/CMNT. He and many others hopefully improve the teams each months until the next Canadian quest for the World Cup.... I am hoping he is calling Tabla and trying to convince him to stay with Canada so they can play together. Also he is a good player but doesn't deserve to start just yet.... 

Archived