Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ngravs9 said:

He tagged Canada soccer on his Insta ... does that mean anything??

Buddy makes stories to like recents. He is wild on ig

On 2017-05-24 at 3:04 PM, lazlo_80 said:

Rollins on two solitudes mentioned he likely won't have Citizenship for another year or so. Probably won't be involved in this year's gold cup unfortunately.

Heard he will get it soon and that he may play for Canada in he very near future. 

5 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Why is it so hard to get a straight answer on when (approx. and I don't mean a year or so) he will get his passport? Did anybody actually ask him for a response? Doesn't the CSA  have an answer?

My guess is that because it's the government it's near impossible to get a set date.  All we can is wait

They are terrible, when my wife got her permanent res they gave us a 6-8 month window for completion date.   A quick look at the gov website suggests a 6-12 month wait time for citizenship, depending on what kind of application he had to fill out.  The CSA should be calling the immigration/citizenship minister everyday bugging them about this

Everyone! It's fully possible he's waiting for the off-season to get it. In order to get either a Canadian or Ghanaian passport/citizenship he has to renounce his Liberian thus making his current passport invalid and possibly preventing him from travelling.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Everyone! It's fully possible he's waiting for the off-season to get it. In order to get either a Canadian or Ghanaian passport/citizenship he has to renounce his Liberian thus making his current passport invalid and possibly preventing him from travelling.

Once again no using logic on a message board Matty :)

If this is the reason for him waiting I can't wait until it's twisted on here that he's stringing along Canada and not serious about playing for us because he won't sacrifice his club career to get his passport (or something crazy like that lol)

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Once again no using logic on a message board Matty :)

If this is the reason for him waiting I can't wait until it's twisted on here that he's stringing along Canada and not serious about playing for us because he won't sacrifice his club career to get his passport (or something crazy like that lol)

Davies: "Alright I could apply now renounce wait like 3 weeks or a month or whatever to get the paperwork and my new passport and miss 5 games."

CSA and Whitecaps: "Nah you should wait. That's a long time"

Davies: "Ok that sounds fair"

Voyageurs forum: "Fucking prick stop being selfish you overrated dick! I hope you fail at Man U! Irrational comments"

Am I the only one that is not concerned if Davies is not at the Gold Cup?

I know people want him cap tied ASAP because of his potential, and to eliminate the potential that Canada gets burned again by another promising prospect, but I don't know if his form as of today has him any higher than a sub in the tournament. Realistically, is he above someone like Akindele or Hoilett (who I think would be his biggest competition on the left side) on the depth chart right now? I don't think so.

Not saying I wouldn't love to see him there, I just think people are getting wound up on his inclusion, and are setting themselves up for disappointment if he isn't on the roster.

17 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Am I the only one that is not concerned if Davies is not at the Gold Cup?

I know people want him cap tied ASAP because of his potential, and to eliminate the potential that Canada gets burned again by another promising prospect, but I don't know if his form as of today has him any higher than a sub in the tournament. Realistically, is he above someone like Akindele or Hoilett (who I think would be his biggest competition on the left side) on the depth chart right now? I don't think so.

Not saying I wouldn't love to see him there, I just think people are getting wound up on his inclusion, and are setting themselves up for disappointment if he isn't on the roster.

I don't think he needs to go. It would be nice but he's not a starter yet and I don't see a need to rush cap tie him (especially with the Nations League starting next year likely)

I will be honest - securing his commitment to the CMNT is my primary motivation.  That isn't to say that his play isn't exciting.  It is, and I think he wouldn't be out of place as a strong late game sub in a GC match - especially with his pace.  But the factor behind the urgency specifically is about getting him on the field in a FIFA sanctioned tournament so that we can collectively exhale.  It is no coincidence that no one is aggressively lobbying for his inclusion in the squad facing Curacao.  That isn't to reflect any lack of faith in his abilities - in fact it is precisely because of that faith that we want to absolutely make sure he wears the maple leaf for the next 15 (!) years.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I don't understand the reasoning here. Canada allows multiple citizenship, so only the Liberians would have a problem with it. They would only take away his citizenship if they were aware of his having received Canadian citizenship, and nothing is forcing Davies or the CDN govt from disclosing that to them.

Just now, jpg75 said:

I don't understand the reasoning here. Canada allows multiple citizenship, so only the Liberians would have a problem with it. They would only take away his citizenship if they were aware of his having received Canadian citizenship, and nothing is forcing Davies or the CDN govt from disclosing that to them.

Their FA is actively watching him

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Their FA is actively watching him

Sure, but unless they have spies in our immigration dept. how would they know he has received his citizenship? And if the application is the problem, well isn't that common news in our soccer media and would have been already reported to them? And if they turfed his citizenship that nullify his ability to rep. them and kill their chances of recruitment.

23 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Sure, but unless they have spies in our immigration dept. how would they know he has received his citizenship? And if the application is the problem, well isn't that common news in our soccer media and would have been already reported to them? And if they turfed his citizenship that nullify his ability to rep. them and kill their chances of recruitment.

It's true but given how things go it's likely they would find out prior to him getting a passport or maybe even going to the ceremony (via media or a family contact maybe or even when the Caps post about it which they will). If he does get it and they know he will lose his Liberian citizenship and passport, unless they grant him a special exemption or something along those lines so he can have both.

As for "And if they turfed his citizenship that nullify his ability to rep. them and kill their chances of recruitment." it's not a matter of football here but their citizenship law. They might get him a special pardon but given his comments about Canada they might see it as useless at the current time.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201705030948.html

The Constitution Further indicates that "The Legislature shall, adhere to the above standard, prescribe such other qualification criteria for the procedures by which naturalization may be obtained. Any person, at least one of whose parents was a citizen of Liberia at the time of the Person's birth, shall be a citizen of Liberia; provided that any such person shall upon reaching maturity renounce any other citizenship acquired by virtue of one parent being a citizen of another country. No citizen of the Republic shall be deprived of citizenship or nationality except as provided by law; and no person shall be denied the right to change."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberian_nationality_law

I guess its a pretty sticky topic in Liberia.  I guess we dont need to be holding our breath for him to be called anytime soon.

1 hour ago, matty said:

It's true but given how things go it's likely they would find out prior to him getting a passport or maybe even going to the ceremony (via media or a family contact maybe or even when the Caps post about it which they will). If he does get it and they know he will lose his Liberian citizenship and passport, unless they grant him a special exemption or something along those lines so he can have both.

Once he becomes a Canadian citizen he can have a passport application expedited. I doubt he would miss any games.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Once he becomes a Canadian citizen he can have a passport application expedited. I doubt he would miss any games.

That's true too he's likely to be approved for an asap one but they can take a few days and it might not be worth it for him on the off chance he's stripped prior to the oath.

I'm not saying anything is a lock but he and his family might want the simpler route not just for him but them as well.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/octavio+zambrano+names+27man+canada+squad/13411577/story.html

"Highly touted Vancouver Whitecaps teenage Alphonso Davies is waiting on his Canadian passport with Zambrano saying the 16-year-old Liberian-born midfielder will be invited to camp as soon as it arrives."

Davies is looking quite committed to Canada at the moment. Doesn't look likely for the gold cup though.

Archived