Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Davies is flat out as close to the real deal as we've seen in the MLS era, even disregarding nationality. 

DeRo was amazing in his prime and Larin is pretty fantastic too.  Davies may eventually be at a higher level but DeRo was the real deal and Larin is now.

9 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

DeRo was amazing in his prime and Larin is pretty fantastic too.  Davies may eventually be at a higher level but DeRo was the real deal and Larin is now.

I love DeRo, but as amazing as he was in MLS, I believe Dub Narcotic is suggesting that Davies is a bigger talent than that, that he is the real deal on a larger stage.  He is only 16, so it is far too early to tell how far this kid can go, but from what I've seen in a short amount of time is that he's learning damned fast AND he has the talent AND he has the physique to be even better than DeRo and Larin.  He might develop into a player like Wanchope, who was a sleek and incredible player.

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

I love DeRo, but as amazing as he was in MLS, I believe Dub Narcotic is suggesting that Davies is a bigger talent than that, that he is the real deal on a larger stage.  He is only 16, so it is far too early to tell how far this kid can go, but from what I've seen in a short amount of time is that he's learning damned fast AND he has the talent AND he has the physique to be even better than DeRo and Larin.  He might develop into a player like Wanchope, who was a sleek and incredible player.

Absolutely, age matters so much, and, as you mentioned, he's already physically there. The one thing that worries me is that he doesn't have elite speed which may limit his ceiling.

Not his best game tonight vs Tigres but it is a good learning experience for him. Just because you can run into 3 MLS players and beat them doesn't mean you can do that against all teams and especially Mexican ones.

He beat 2 defenders near the end and had several other offensive outbursts that were good plus his tracking back on defense broke up some plays. That said I think he tried his coaches patience by holding onto the ball too long and running into 3 players and losing possession.

Not bad overall but not his best showing.

Just now, TRM said:

Not his best game tonight vs Tigres but it is a good learning experience for him. Just because you can run into 3 MLS players and beat them doesn't mean you can do that against all teams and especially Mexican ones.

He beat 2 defenders near the end and had several other offensive outbursts that were good plus his tracking back on defense broke up some plays. That said I think he tried his coaches patience by holding onto the ball too long and running into 3 players and losing possession.

PS. While maybe not the fastest sprinter he has quickness in his first 3 steps which is what counts the most in soccer. When he makes his move he puts distance between himself and the coverage.

12 minutes ago, TRM said:

If he can learn, and quickly, then he will be just fine. Lots of time playing with Bola and Tchani will help, especially because they are guys who are calm on the ball and rarely miss a pass. What he needs to adjust to is the fact that teams will put two or three guys on him when he is on the wing--as happened many times tonight--so rather than try to go through all these bodies, he needs to use this to the Caps advantage and lay the ball off quickly to a teammate who can then exploit the fact that they've over-marked Davies. It'll come. He's 16. 

On 4/6/2017 at 0:08 AM, TRM said:

In all fairness his entire team was finding new and creative ways of gifting the ball back to Tigres all night. But yes, not his most dynamic game.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, canta15 said:

A bit hyperbolic. I've watched most of Davies's league appearances and for the most part he has done well (especially for his age). But he has yet to score or assist in all his MLS appearances. That's somewhat concerning for a "generational" type talent.

i still think Tabla has higher upside.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

A bit hyperbolic. I've watched most of Davies's league appearances and for the most part he has done well (especially for his age). But he has yet to score or assist in all his MLS appearances. That's somewhat concerning for a "generational" type talent.

The goals and assists will come. He's only had 6 MLS starts. His goals in the CCL are both against MLS teams though, so we know he can produce at that level.

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

The reason Davies is starting is because he's tactically better. Tabla upside depends if he's smart enough on the pitch. There's enough attacking players especially wingers who start out exciting and raw and never mature.

2 hours ago, PopePouri said:

The reason Davies is starting is because he's tactically better. Tabla upside depends if he's smart enough on the pitch. There's enough attacking players especially wingers who start out exciting and raw and never mature.

How can you say Davies is tactically better than Tabla? What does that even mean? Tactically better as in follows the coaches instructions better? Tactically better as in he's more positionally disciplined? Where is the evidence to support the idea the Tabla is "tactically worse"?

I will say though, that Davies is getting a lot of time in Vancouver because he is doing a good job and has earned his minutes. That means he's been more effective than others in the wide role he's been playing. 

Unfortunately for Tabla, he is behind Piatti in the "inverted winger" role. IIRC his first game was on the right wing, where he wasn't as successful, because his game isn't to knock the ball past defenders and whip in a cross (Davies can do this btw, he's a more powerful player in that way), it is to cut inside and create, much like Hoilett. Now that Piatti is healthy, we see him coming into the game as a CAM, where he can use his trickery and creative skills to generate scoring chances. That is what he's in the game to do. He's not in there for his defensive tracking and two-way play like Davies is.

For me, it is looking like Tabla has more upside when it comes to creating scoring chances. He already has better stats in fewer minutes as I mentioned in the Tabla thread.

That being said, I think Vancouver is more dependent on Davies than Montreal is on Tabla right now. He's been doing such a good job on both sides of the ball. 

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

How can you say Davies is tactically better than Tabla? What does that even mean? Tactically better as in follows the coaches instructions better? Tactically better as in he's more positionally disciplined? Where is the evidence to support the idea the Tabla is "tactically worse"?

I will say though, that Davies is getting a lot of time in Vancouver because he is doing a good job and has earned his minutes. That means he's been more effective than others in the wide role he's been playing.

Apart from a couple of times where he switched "off" and wasn't anticipating the danger (i.e. Ashley Cole's overlapping support run which created a good chance)  Davies' defensive work ethic has been really good, so that has helped his starter's claim significantly.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Unfortunately for Tabla, he is behind Piatti in the "inverted winger" role. IIRC his first game was on the right wing, where he wasn't as successful, because his game isn't to knock the ball past defenders and whip in a cross (Davies can do this btw, he's a more powerful player in that way), it is to cut inside and create, much like Hoilett. Now that Piatti is healthy, we see him coming into the game as a CAM, where he can use his trickery and creative skills to generate scoring chances. That is what he's in the game to do. He's not in there for his defensive tracking and two-way play like Davies is.

For me, it is looking like Tabla has more upside when it comes to creating scoring chances. He already has better stats in fewer minutes as I mentioned in the Tabla thread.

That being said, I think Vancouver is more dependent on Davies than Montreal is on Tabla right now. He's been doing such a good job on both sides of the ball. 

Being stuck as an inverted winger and not being two-way makes him limited. If he can't surplant Oduro whose not a winger anyways or Bernier who would be better playing at a no. 8 instead of a no. 10, then Biello does not trust him to start (yet). He could develop that (my point of the first post) but there's plenty of examples of attacking players who don't. 

About the point that he doesn't need to defend, ALL players in the modern game defend unless the coach can accept the offensive tradeoff, E.g. Giovinco, Piatti (who's actually defensively responsible). For Biello, it's crucial for his bunker and counter type play style. CAMs need to be defensively and positionally aware and press deep lying playmakers, wingers need to be able to cover the overlapping fullbacks. Unless he's able to assist and score at an incredible rate, then he'll be a liability to start.

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Being stuck as an inverted winger and not being two-way makes him limited. If he can't surplant Oduro whose not a winger anyways or Bernier who would be better playing at a no. 8 instead of a no. 10, then Biello does not trust him to start (yet). He could develop that (my point of the first post) but there's plenty of examples of attacking players who don't. 

About the point that he doesn't need to defend, ALL players in the modern game defend unless the coach can accept the offensive tradeoff, E.g. Giovinco, Piatti (who's actually defensively responsible). For Biello, it's crucial for his bunker and counter type play style. CAMs need to be defensively and positionally aware and press deep lying playmakers, wingers need to be able to cover the overlapping fullbacks. Unless he's able to assist and score at an incredible rate, then he'll be a liability to start.

What do you mean that Tabla is "stuck" as an inverted winger? He's played in 3 different positions this year and actually subbed on for Oduro twice at the beginning of the season (vs. Seattle and San Jose). Okay sure he's limited in the same way Messi is limited for not being two-way. I'm sure Montreal aren't too concerned. Tabla is being asked to focus on creating chances. Davies is being asked to be a two-way player.

Just because Tabla did not "supplant" Oduro (who has played as a winger for many seasons) or Bernier (who is playing high without the ball but not functioning as a no. 10 on offence) does not necessarily mean Biello doesn't trust him to start. He is probably experimenting with Tabla to see where he can be most effective in this team. Robinson is not experimenting with Davies. It is clear he is going to be playing out wide. 

I didn't say he doesn't need to defend or that he can't defend. I am saying that he's not being told to focus on defending. Biello is telling his team to get Tabla the ball so that he can take people on 1 vs 1 and create something. There is a video of him saying this in the locker room at half time versus Chicago.

Yes he has a defensive responsibility like all players, but when you see how Davies gets up and down the pitch tracking back and putting in defensive work, you can tell Robinson is asking this of him in order to see the field. I don't think Tabla has the same expectation (or inclination even) in Montreal.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Apart from a couple of times where he switched "off" and wasn't anticipating the danger (i.e. Ashley Cole's overlapping support run which created a good chance)  Davies' defensive work ethic has been really good, so that has helped his starter's claim significantly.

Absolutely. I think this is the main reason he's been a starter. It is not because he's creating a plethora of scoring opportunities, but he does have that potential to create something out of nothing with how he collects the ball and charges at the other team like a bull. Players like that are always a danger.

Another quote from Davies that he wants to represent Canada. From Red Nation Online:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/articles2016/fearlessdaviesworkingtogofromgoodtogreat.aspx

Closer to home, Canada Soccer Coach, Octavio Zambrano watched Vancouver Whitecaps practice from the sidelines on Tuesday, April 18. Davies has international playing options with Liberia, Ghana, and Canada.

"Canada is thee country I would want to represent," said a patriotic Davies. "It's a great country to live in, be in. I'm glad that we came over here."

Archived