Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

I'll tell you what kind of attitude is for losers: getting angry at kids for choosing the "wrong" country to represent. IT'S THEIR CAREER. If you want Canada to have a great soccer player you should have hit the pitch a little harder. Then the decision would be in your hands.

I'll never be upset at a player for choosing what he wants to do with his life.

You're right i should tried harder to have elite athletic ability to become a world class player. Maybe I should get my "A" licence while i'm at it so that i have the right to critique the coaching staff? SMH.

If a kid was born and raised in Canada i will always believe he should play for Canada regardless of where his parents are from. That's my opinion, you can believe what you want.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Hasn't RTP flamed out?  Haven't heard anything on him lately.

Was a squad player as an 18 yr old Freshman last fall for Virginia. A couple of good years in college should get him a HG contract with Philly.

39 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Hasn't RTP flamed out?  Haven't heard anything on him lately.

Went to university - Virginia, and played a few matches in USL for Bethlehem while retaining amateur status.

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Nobody said anything about moaning, crying or whining. You asked if we're still paranoid about dual nationals and followed up with a statement about faith. I/we am/are paranoid because obviously a number of our youth are still exploring other options and any defections hurt the program. We are still a program ranked in the 80's (ELO) and most of the defections that hurt will be players capable of playing for countries better than us.

Do i have faith these players will choose us? Not much because based on past experience the really good ones will play for someone else. 

Now, does it keep me up at night? No. Does it piss me off when i think about it? Yes, and if you're a hardcore Canada fan it should.

Firstly I described irrational behavior which is what paranoia is usually defined as. There's a difference between reasonable concern and the defeated paranoia that often pops up here.

Secondly all I'm saying is can we stop hitting the panic button every time this comes up. The recent trends (that include players that have a shot at a better team) are going in Canada's favour.

Lastly being pissed about guys being teases isn't paranoia

Here's the challenge I've been posing to fellow whitecaps fans. Try to judge Davies and his play based solely on that alone. Try to forget about his age. Yes it's amazing that he's doing it at 16 but how many times have we seen "potential" go unfulfilled. I think Davies is different just but judging on his play as of now.

57 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Here's the challenge I've been posing to fellow whitecaps fans. Try to judge Davies and his play based solely on that alone. Try to forget about his age. Yes it's amazing that he's doing it at 16 but how many times have we seen "potential" go unfulfilled. I think Davies is different just but judging on his play as of now.

I actually have to remind myself--often--that he is only 16. 

Hey, i'm having a debate about Canadian soccer elsewhere, and I was wondering, did Edmonton Strikers get any sort of compensation of transfer fee for Davies when he went to Vancouver?

Can't find any articles that mention it, but I was pretty sure something happened.

Why would Strikers get compensations? Whitecaps don't compensate any of the local BC clubs when they sign players (note: Whitecaps should be compensating local clubs when they sign a kid to the academy and that kid gets a pro contract).

I would think/hope that if Davies leaves for a transfer fee Edmonton Strikers should get solidarity payments for the part they played in developing him. I don't personally know of any payments to them already, but I imagine ThiKu is probably right.

11 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

IIRC, no MLS clubs honour solidarity payments, as a league wide policy. 

When Doneil Henry was sold from TFC, North Mississauga got solidarity payments. I think it's more of a USSF thing than an MLS thing.

On June 15, 2017 at 10:37 PM, ThiKu said:

Why would Strikers get compensations? Whitecaps don't compensate any of the local BC clubs when they sign players (note: Whitecaps should be compensating local clubs when they sign a kid to the academy and that kid gets a pro contract).

Awful. That's why I'm glad the proposed CPL clubs are, from what they say, going to work with the local soccer community in their respective cities. 

28 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

If the club requests it they will get the payment. MLS or USSF cannot deny the payment, it is a FIFA regulation.

This actually isn't true. Frazer v. MLS, the court case that challenged the legality of single entity, gave MLS the legal authority to forgo "the standard procedures and operations of the global market for the survivability of the league". It was originally a case over MLS artificially keeping player salaries low due to the lack of free agency, but MLS has used the case in its legal defense against pro/rel, training comp., and solidarity payments. I believe that there is a case being tried soon to try to enact mandatory solidarity payments in US soccer, but it's unlikely to go anywhere. This is because the language that FIFA uses to describe players in regards to solidarity payments is "professionals", which nobody in the North American soccer sphere wants to be a term applied to pre-college age players as it would ruin NCAA eligibility.

FIFA had generally looked the other way on this issue. Solidarity payments are a FIFA regulation, but the rules regarding domestic transfers are left to be enforced by federations. FIFA could, but hasn't yet decided to get involved in the issue.

The rules may get changed soon though as this is starting to hurt MLS clubs. As MLS clubs have no legal ground to stop teams like Schalke and Wolfsburg from raiding their academies as they have in the last few years.

11 hours ago, Macksam said:

Awful. That's why I'm glad the proposed CPL clubs are, from what they say, going to work with the local soccer community in their respective cities. 

So will a CPL club compensate a youth or say an academy if they sign one of their players?

Archived