Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I was hoping for him to keep developing as a winger. 

I sort of feel the same way, but then I realize that the only thing that matters is that he develops into a truly fine talent, perhaps capable of playing anywhere in the mid-field. There is something that reminds me of Wanchope, though certainly not nearly as polished and slick (yet).

50 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Which wing is Davies better on?

Seems to be left side. He is a right footer (I think), but has a good left, he can pass with both and cross left, but is more dangerous shooting right. 

Put him on the right you force him into a crossing winger, which could be okay tactically. Last game he seemed to be on the right side of the middle, but that could have been him moving across.

I liked him in the middle too, since it forces him to think both directions, and with a defender in front and no room to run, you have to think. Great for his development IMO. But dominantly, preferably, let's see him starting left.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seems to be left side. He is a right footer (I think), but has a good left, he can pass with both and cross left, but is more dangerous shooting right. 

Put him on the right you force him into a crossing winger, which could be okay tactically. Last game he seemed to be on the right side of the middle, but that could have been him moving across.

I liked him in the middle too, since it forces him to think both directions, and with a defender in front and no room to run, you have to think. Great for his development IMO. But dominantly, preferably, let's see him starting left.

He's extremely left footed, and has been most effective on the right, when given freedom to cut inside. From what I've seen. 

4 hours ago, The Beaver said:

I sort of feel the same way, but then I realize that the only thing that matters is that he develops into a truly fine talent, perhaps capable of playing anywhere in the mid-field. There is something that reminds me of Wanchope, though certainly not nearly as polished and slick (yet).

If he turns into a Wanchope that would be amazing

2 hours ago, C2SKI said:

He's extremely left footed, and has been most effective on the right, when given freedom to cut inside. From what I've seen. 

I obviously was not clear on this, I'll have to take a look at the kid again. He really does use both feet pretty well, I am basing myself just on watching him live and there you go, I missed his good foot.

This video does not show an extreme left foot. But other highlight reels show he does dribble and control with his left, so you are right.

But have to say: I can't remember him playing on the right, almost always on the left. 

Davies with a full 90 minutes for an MLS game in forever. It was a taxing game but clearly showed his age. He was gassed at 70 minutes and could provide much of an outlet. Still was great on the ball when he got it though. 

Through out the game he again displayed his effortless ability to get passed defenders. Even took two defenders on at once a couple times and made nice plays. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Davies scores 2 goals coming on as a sub for Canada. Man, i guess i was wrong about how to use him...

Ha ha, good one. Given the number of stoppages in the second half I had a sneaky feeling that he would still be a threat late in the game. His high octane style needs breaks to recharge.

So the question now is start him on the 11th or sub with the start on the 14th.

I think I said something like this a bunch of pages ago, but it is hard to describe just how happy I am about the whole Davies situation.  An amazing footy talent who was  an immigrant kid, who came to Canada along with what seems like a great family, developed his footy skills here in Canada, is appreciative for the opportunities he got, has massive potential (the kind that is unprecedented in the CMNT), and he chose us and seems proud to do so.

I don't know if Alphonso and the other players read these threads, but if so:

Thank you.  You have made a whole bunch of us immensely happy.

The most fun part of watching Davies over the past year is that every game it seems like he starts doing something he just couldn't do before. I don't think I'd really ever seen Davies time a header well, tonight he was up there challenging and even winning some!

If Davies can carry this team to a GC semi, I think he can convince Tabla to join the Nats.  Costa Rica with No Waston or Bolaños should be less formidable now hopefully.  Against Honduras I'd put Davies, Cavallini up top, to keep the Honduran defence honest and not moe up as Honduran defenders love attacking too.

Archived