Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

From a selfish point of view I would rather see him in the CPL, he has to obviously do what he thinks is best for himself financially and developmentally, I have concerns of him getting buried in a packed TFC midfield even with the departure of VV!

TFC doesn't have enough Canadians at the present time (even with Jordan Hamilton back in camp, though not yet signed), especially if they want to win the V Cup (even with the ridiculous bye into the semi-final round, they still need enough Canadians who are good enough to start & compete against other teams, possibly this year more than ever depending on who makes it through to the semis). Laryea strikes me as the sort of player they will need in a hurry with Vazquez leaving and CCL starting up soon so I'm hoping this pans out.

Really disappointed to hear about VV. He has been such an important player for Toronto.

Probably a big chance now for Chapman, so from a Canadian perspective I am happy, but as a fan of Toronto, I worry.

I did read rumors that this was initiated by the player, and at least there will be transfer fee if he wants to leave right now. He's been a positive influence on the club and gave us some great moments, so no hard feelings.

And it would be sad to see him leave, but he's also an old 32 if you know what I mean. All good things come to an end, even if it's a little sooner than you'd expect.

This is when a player needs to take the chance that is given to them and thrive, meaning every time you are given minutes to play you shine. I agree that Richea will probably not get a lot of minutes at first , however every time you get those minutes you shine and make it hard on the coaching staff not to play you more . This is exactly what Osorio did, at first he was not getting that many minutes but every time he got minutes he played like he belonged things happened on the field. Eventually he played so well that they could not deny him more playing time and now he is an integral part of the starting 11. This is something that Chapman has failed to do when given minutes to play and last year with all the injuries he was given a lot of playing time but failed to impress on a consistent basis . Here is Richie’s chance to prove himself and show the coaches he belongs .

Edited by 1996

• 2 months later...

Looks like he's taking Hamilton's former jersey number now that Jordan is wearing Vazquez's old number:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/21/toronto-fc-signs-richie-laryea/1

Last week TFC, with Pozuelo not in town yet and Delgado injured and Telfer & Daniels loaned out, had just one midfielder on the bench in the form of Liam Fraser. That's not enough midfield depth considering that injuries and suspensions happen all throughout the season, so I am sure he will get his opportunities, and hopefully not just at the V-Cup matches.

I found this interesting and CMNT implications:

“We’ve added Richie (Laryea), which is really nice. We’re developing him as a right back and he’s been fantastic in that learning process."

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/tfc-gm-ali-curtis-has-south-america-on-his-radar-in-the-search-for-more-depth

2 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

“We’ve added Richie (Laryea), which is really nice. We’re developing him as a right back and he’s been fantastic in that learning process."

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/tfc-gm-ali-curtis-has-south-america-on-his-radar-in-the-search-for-more-depth

Vanney couldn't figure out Kaye's best position either so not a lot of faith in this

3 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

Interesting - though in that article as Vanney points out they are likely to lose a bunch of midfielders for the Gold Cup (possibly up to five), you'd think that Laryea would likely to see more playing time in midfield there. But I guess in the interim he will understudy for Auro (who won't be going to the Gold Cup). Still, could be good for more right back depth for the national team as well.

3 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

can't say that I'm all that optimistic after the last few RB projects in Aird/Petrasso

Edited by Pottsy3

3 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

can't say that I'm all that optimistic after the last few RB projects in Aird/Petrasso

Well, it happens all the time. The advantage is that you have a lot of space in front of you. It's actually a fun position to play at, unless confronted with a speedy winger than it's hard work. 

12 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

The thing is those two showed a lot of attacking promise while Laryea makes a lot of tackles. He could be a better option for a transition like this.

• 2 weeks later...