Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

8 hours ago, Havoc88 said:

I don't get the "counts as international" argument (well I do, but if a player is good I really don't think it applies). He's also GA, so in many ways that cancels out the negative impact from using an int slot.

I also agree - after Bekker/Welshman, I don't think Sigma are too keen on any of their players ending up at TFC.

Bekker had his development severely stunted by Nelsen, however it seems like Welshman was a few years too early, had TFC2 existed, he would've had a place to go and grow as a player, it's unfortunate but there isn't much that can be done about that

30 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

Pundits were incredibly negative on him, saying he was just benefiting from the good midfield he had.

Was only listening to the audio at that point so I am not sure who it was but the first guy was overly negative. The second guy rated him and said he had great technique, skill and was a good soccer player. Not sure what the deal was. 

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Was only listening to the audio at that point so I am not sure who it was but the first guy was overly negative. The second guy rated him and said he had great technique, skill and was a good soccer player. Not sure what the deal was. 

Probably just putting way too much stock in the combine as these "pundits" tend to become NCAA experts over the course of a week.  I remember last season too many "pundits" saying that Larin would play the whole year in Louisville.

Layrea was overly dependent on midfield though, for sure... I'm not an expert but I've followed him for 2 years now and he's earned rave reviews.  Even in highlights he was clearly Akron's driving force this season.  To say a striker depended on a good midfield is one thing, but saying a central midfielder who led his team in scoring depended on a good midfield is pretty silly...

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Do we know who the first guy was?

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It was Doyle who said he feels that Laryea is a passenger in midfield, basically he isn't going to be the man in midfield. Don't think though OCSC will ask that of him.

Yeah, I would have pointed out too that many did not think Larin was even going to play last season considering the competition he had in his position. IIRC Orlando even has two DP strikers?

Doyle's analysis is good, but he is out to lunch on this one. I think I mentioned it in another thread - when I spoke with Sigma in the past, and this was before Richie was playing at Akron yet but Larin was all the talk, they were talking about three of players: Kyle, Cyle and Richie. I got the impression they rated him in the same realm as Cyle - so take that FWIW.

3 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

Pundits were incredibly negative on him, saying he was just benefiting from the good midfield he had.

Pundits don't know shit. If they did they'd be scouts or manager.

2 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

Either way, Orlando is becoming the Canadian team of the South!

More Canadian connections... Looks like Laryea will be feeding Michael Cox for their USL team.

Edited by A_Gagne

4 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I had a feeling Orlando was going to grab him with the Larin Sigma connection.

7th overall, not shabby at all. I can see the Larin effect getting more SigmaFC grads some extra looks from teams.

MLS appearances for players produced by Canadian academies:

Russell Teibert – 91 (VWFC)

Ashton Morgan – 88 (TFC)

Doneil Henry – 70 (TFC)

Kyle Bekker – 40 (Sigma)

Maxim Tissot – 37 (MIFC)

Karl Ouimette – 31 (MIFC)

Cyle Larin – 27 (Sigma)

Point being, it’s interesting to note that Sigma is developing just as many MLS players as the Canadian MLS academies.

Note: I did not include Lefèvre as he was at Montpellier until the age of 15; I did not include Osario as he spent more time with Nacional and SC Toronto than with TFC as a youth player; I did not include any player with under 20 MLS appearances.

Edit: Notable mentions for Sam Adekugbe - 14 appearances (VWFC) -, and Matt Stinson - 17 appearances (TFC) - who would likely have both reached over 20 appearances if it weren't for injuries. 

Edited by A_Gagne

39 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Point being, it’s interesting to note that Sigma is developing just as many MLS players as the Canadian MLS academies.

That was something I didn't see coming. A truly pleasant surprise at both the quality and quantity of players they are turning out. I was of the opinion that we'd get one here and there from the independent academies. This stream of quality players is great to see.

14 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

MLS appearances for players produced by Canadian academies:

Russell Teibert – 91 (VWFC)

Ashton Morgan – 88 (TFC)

Doneil Henry – 70 (TFC)

Kyle Bekker – 40 (Sigma)

Maxim Tissot – 37 (MIFC)

Karl Ouimette – 31 (MIFC)

Cyle Larin – 27 (Sigma)

Note: I did not include Lefèvre as he was at Montpellier until the age of 15; I did not include Osario as he spent more time with Nacional and SC Toronto than with TFC as a youth player; I did not include any player with under 20 MLS appearances.

Edit: Notable mentions for Sam Adekugbe - 14 appearances (VWFC) -, and Matt Stinson - 17 appearances (TFC) - who would likely have both reached over 20 appearances if it weren't for injuries.

I don't know jack shit about Sigma, but is there any word that they have a aspirations to have a professional men's team (NASL)? They seem to have the talent pipeline and coaching.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

That's good to hear.  Did he not get a call to Camp Poutine so he could attend camp since it was his first?  Found him to be an omission when they announced the roster at the time.  

• 1 year later...