Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

16 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Played well. Not sure he is more athletic than Auro.  Why was Auro out - is he hurt?

dont get me wrong happy Laryea played and well and it would be great if he could play his way into the conversation for the CMNT but doubt he unseated Auro based on one good performance.

Auro has a slight hamstring issue

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Played well. Not sure he is more athletic than Auro.  Why was Auro out - is he hurt?

dont get me wrong happy Laryea played and well and it would be great if he could play his way into the conversation for the CMNT but doubt he unseated Auro based on one good performance.

Did you see the game? Laryea is without a doubt more athletic than Auro. He is almost Justin Morrow level athletic. It's just one game, so obviously he needs to prove he can play well consistently, but I liked how he made the right decisions on the ball. Several times he chose not to force the play in the attacking third, opting to recycle the ball instead of playing a low percentage cross. Yet, he played several good crosses into the box during the match. He looked very comfortable going forward and was good defensively, one turn over aside.

He is a little different to Auro, who is very good technically. Based off this game (the first I have seen him at right back), I would put his technical ability/comfort on the ball somewhere in between Morgan and Auro.

Edited by Obinna

11 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

He was okay today, he got beat a couple of times and cost TFC a goal. I think he needs to get stronger to play RB. 

About 5 players from TFC could be blamed for that 2nd goal not just him.  Laryea’s mis control turning possession over was really the only mistake he made on the day (many of his teammates made many more on the day) it was an otherwise impressive and encouraging debut for his first ever pro or even college game at right back. I agree with Obinna that he seems to have more speed than Auro does though I expect Auro will regain his spot when healthy again, the right back  depth for club and country looks more promising 

Was at the game. Just disagree that from one outing a guy who couldn’t get on the field with one of the shittiest teams in the league is miles more athletic than Auro who has consistently played on one of the top teams In the league.  Great that he played well and hope for good things.

12 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

He was okay today, he got beat a couple of times and cost TFC a goal. I think he needs to get stronger to play RB. 

Are you serious??  He lost the ball in the opposition half,  Delgado didnt take an angle on the winger (or gave up on the play) and Moor let the cross through...and then you still had Mavinga and Bradley letting Nicolic slip between them for a tap in.  But sure I guess he cost them a goal.....

1 minute ago, Club Linesman said:

Was at the game. Just disagree that from one outing a guy who couldn’t get on the field with one of the shittiest teams in the league is miles more athletic than Auro who has consistently played on one of the top teams In the league.  Great that he played well and hope for good things.

I dont know what that has to do with his athletic ability.  He looked to be alot faster than Auro.  Better than Auro, not at all, I'd still rather have Auri but he showed some athletisism out there and got in a couple nice crosses.  

Getting lost in semantics. Happy with Laryea and pleasantly surprised with his play at RB today.  I would not announce him as better than Auro based on one game Athletically, technically, skill wise whatever, if we were playing for the MLS cup I would have Auro at RB over Richie 100% of the time based on what we have seen to date.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Are you serious??  He lost the ball in the opposition half,  Delgado didnt take an angle on the winger (or gave up on the play) and Moor let the cross through...and then you still had Mavinga and Bradley letting Nicolic slip between them for a tap in.  But sure I guess he cost them a goal.....

It lead to the goal, without the awful lazy pass its a non issue. HE also got beat 1 v 1 near the end of the first half that lead to a chance. His defense was bad. 

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Getting lost in semantics. Happy with Laryea and pleasantly surprised with his play at RB today.  I would not announce him as better than Auro based on one game Athletically, technically, skill wise whatever, if we were playing for the MLS cup I would have Auro at RB over Richie 100% of the time based on what we have seen to date.

I am definitely not saying he took Auro's spot. Just pointing out the obvious that he's a better athlete than Auro. I think Auro is a better right back, by the way, but it's good to have another option emerge, especially one that doesn't look like he'll get regularly outmatched physically. I love Auro's quality on the ball, but he loses those battles too much for my liking.

Two can play at that game ?

But ask anyone with the squad and they’ll tell you that the 23-year Brazilian’s value is sky high.

“I think he has the capacity to be one of the best right backs in our league, if not the best right back,” said coach Greg Vanney. “He’s a nice weapon to have.”

6 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Two can play at that game ?

But ask anyone with the squad and they’ll tell you that the 23-year Brazilian’s value is sky high.

“I think he has the capacity to be one of the best right backs in our league, if not the best right back,” said coach Greg Vanney. “He’s a nice weapon to have.”

Definitely. It's a great thing for TFC. Auro himself doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Some people I think overlook the fact he got 6 assists last year from full back. He's still only 23. 

Meanwhile, TFC looks to have found a very capable reserve in Layera to back him up. 24 years old with very different attributes, which give TFC diversity. At the very least, Nick Deleon won't be shoehorned in back there. I'm sure we'd both agree on that :)

40 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

It must be a testament to how well he's doing in training. Vanney could have put DeLeon or Ciman there as a more experienced and natural replacement, but he felt comfortable giving time to Richie. 

Ciman has been dreadful in the games that I have watched.  A competent CB should not be costing you a goal a game due to poor decision making.

1 hour ago, AvroArrow said:

Ciman has been dreadful in the games that I have watched.  A competent CB should not be costing you a goal a game due to poor decision making.

As a RB, Ciman's adventurousness wouldn't cost the team (and would likely be a positive attribute). I believe that's where he played for Belgium.