WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the starting 11 is any better than that of the last 3 cycles. Where we have improved is depth. In other years the bench was pretty weak and if someone got injured before game time the replacement player was usually a significant downgrade. This cycle we have some decent players on the bench and some not even selected. I also think we do have to give MLS some credit for that despite the often justified criticism of the league for not doing enough to develop our players. The next step which will hopefully come soon is to develop a stronger starting lineup with a few more top level players, ie. Hutchinson or at least Will Johnson level players in every position.

I don't think the starting 11 is any better than that of the last 3 cycles. Where we have improved is depth. In other years the bench was pretty weak and if someone got injured before game time the replacement player was usually a significant downgrade. This cycle we have some decent players on the bench and some not even selected. I also think we do have to give MLS some credit for that despite the often justified criticism of the league for not doing enough to develop our players. The next step which will hopefully come soon is to develop a stronger starting lineup with a few more top level players, ie. Hutchinson or at least Will Johnson level players in every position.

I believe our striker (Larin) and LM (Hoilett) are at Johnson level. Hopefully Akindele develops fast. We just need to improve our defenders and GK.

----------------MB--------------

--KO-----DE------DJ---MdJ--

---------------JDG-------------

--TA-----AH------RT-----JH--

---------------CL---------------

No Aird, too inexperienced for this high-stakes a match. No Johnson due to fitness. Floro might start Straith and move JDG into central midfield in place of RT, and may prefer TR over TA. I think Teibert gets the start though based on recent form, experience on the BC Place turf and the fact that he'll be jacked for the match!

Last cycle we probably would have been fine if DeRo and Simpson hadn't gotten hurt and OO hadn't got that red card.  Honestly that's the only thing that really kept us out of the Hex and qualification I think.

This team also has good overall depth and balance and on paper we are the 4th best team in CONCACAF just like last time.  Of course the game isn't played on paper.

Our attacking options up front with Hoilett, Larin, Ricketts and Akindele are similar in potential quality to last cycle when we had DeRo, OO, Simpson and Ricketts, but that line got torn to bits so we never got to see their full potential.  These guys are quite a bit younger but they have great potential.

If Aird doesn't start you can expect him to be a sub at least.  We are going to want to see him cap tied in these 2 games for sure.

I expect to see a lineup of:

--------------------------Borjan------------------------

--Ouimette-----Jakovic------Edgar------de Jong--

---------------------De Guzman------------------------

--Ricketts-----Jonnson------Hutchinson-----Hoilett--

---------------------------Larin-----------------------

Subs:  Aird for Ouimette, Akindele for Ricketts, Cavallini for Larin.

If Aird doesn't start you can expect him to be a sub at least.  We are going to want to see him cap tied in these 2 games for sure.

He's already permanently tied to us, he had to file his one-time switch because he had played in an official youth match for Scotland. 

So much for my prediction that Manjekar James would make the dress list :o  Kreskin, I ain't!  Well, I'll still go out on a limb and guess that Straith will be the holding mid in front of the back four to start this match!  Channelling my inner Floro with that one.

Who's doing all the set place service:  De Jong?  Also, with DeRo gone, who takes the penalties now?

Then I am obviously not talking to you.

Do you really think slagging something like that, nvolving other fans and a hell of  lot of good will and effort,within an hour of the roster announcement, is at all decent?

Huh? No one in this thread was "slagging" it. You're overreacting.

So much for my prediction that Manjekar James would make the dress list :o  Kreskin, I ain't!  Well, I'll still go out on a limb and guess that Straith will be the holding mid in front of the back four to start this match!  Channelling my inner Floro with that one.

Who's doing all the set place service:  De Jong?  Also, with DeRo gone, who takes the penalties now?

Who did Edgar take the ball from in the Dominica game? Was it Larin? Floro talked after the game that Larin (?) had won a PK contest in training and that he would be the taker, not sure if that was just for that camp or for the foreseeable future.  

Archived