WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the talent level is similar but I give this squad's cycle a slight edge in the midfield, but still so hard and so early too compare. Do agree so much more depth, that is a good thing!

Last cycle we tied Honduras 0-0 at home.

On paper, Honduras was stronger last cycle, mind you that young striker might be a serious threat. Overall, we have a greater chance this cycle at home to obtain a better result. :)

Sounds cliché, but I feel the squad gained experienced from the last cycle 0-0 draw at home.  The vets will not only reinforce but also establish the importance of picking up the 3 points vs Honduras this match.  I am also optimistic based on the confidence and swagger the younger guys on our team have.

Let's do this fellas!

If Aird doesn't start you can expect him to be a sub at least.  We are going to want to see him cap tied in these 2 games for sure.

I expect to see a lineup of:

--------------------------Borjan------------------------

--Ouimette-----Jakovic------Edgar------de Jong--

---------------------De Guzman------------------------

--Ricketts-----Jonnson------Hutchinson-----Hoilett--

---------------------------Larin-----------------------

Subs:  Aird for Ouimette, Akindele for Ricketts, Cavallini for Larin.

I never understood how people can pick subs before a competitive match, it makes no sense at all. Like with Aird: if the game allows him to be subbed in, like if we are leading by 2 goals with 5 m left and he can help, perfect. But if it does not help the team get a result, let him rot on the bench for all I care. Especially for these next 6 games. Same with absolutely everyone on the team.

Nothing happens from now on in that does not serve a result, and no player or other consideration matters more than that.

It's pretty simple.  The Aird sub is just to get him in the game.  I think we can all agree we'd like to see him get actual minutes.  It's also seems like Akindele is our 3rd wing but he's going to get some burn and Floro has liked to pull Larin out later in a game to bring in a fresh striker.  It's not like these are controversial subs or anything.

It's pretty simple.  The Aird sub is just to get him in the game.  I think we can all agree we'd like to see him get actual minutes.  It's also seems like Akindele is our 3rd wing but he's going to get some burn and Floro has liked to pull Larin out later in a game to bring in a fresh striker.  It's not like these are controversial subs or anything.

In probably our most critical match for the next 4 years I would like to see Aird fixed right to the bench if the alternative is to bring him in as the RB. Would prefer to see other players subbed in to influence the game as they see fit.

Amazing there are folks who think you take a competitive game and use it to cap tie. Floro may have flaws but that way of thinking, thankfully, won't be one of them.

I am much more worried about Benito's way of communicating negativity to our players when he thinks he is transmitting order or "shape" as he calls it. Our Ghana result is a non-Benito result, and arguably our best in the Floro era. So that is worrying. I understand his whole philosophy is based on keeping us close by making sure we are all in position for when we lose the ball, being naturally lead-footed, and then taking our chances up front if we can get it back. This is a charming way of dissing our ability and clipping wings. To beat Honduras, as we saw last cycle, you have to take them when you can, when the opportunity beckons. And I think for Honduras we have a good possibility of taking the game to them for certain phases, as long as it is still 0-0.

It would really help if we could get a huge will to revenge going, a real need to redress with rage what happened 3 years ago.

Like others have said, the big difference between this group and the last cycle's group is depth. I don't think that the talent of the 11 starters will be any better, but the bench players will all be much more talented than last go around.

That being said  I expect us to end the group stage with six or seven points, I think this may be enough to see us advance. With the parity of the three teams in this group excluding Mexico I can see a lot of ties  which will result in low point totals 

Like others have said, the big difference between this group and the last cycle's group is depth. I don't think that the talent of the 11 starters will be any better, but the bench players will all be much more talented than last go around.

That being said  I expect us to end the group stage with six or seven points, I think this may be enough to see us advance. With the parity of the three teams in this group excluding Mexico I can see a lot of ties  which will result in low point totals 

You mean we can ALMOST be in the Hex after our first 2 games? Now I feel a little better.

If the El Salvador team stays in disarray, I fear we might end up in a similar scenario as last qualifying round. I can see the possibility of getting 6 pts this round only to lose both games to Mexico in March while Honduras beats El Salvador back to back and suddenly we're in tough. Very much hoping that's not the case of course. 

Here's a reasonable breakdown of the games, in our favour of course:

after 2 games:

Mexico 6

Canada 6

El Salvador 0

Honduras 0

after 4 games:

Mexico 10

Canada 7

El Salvador 3

Honduras 3

going into the last set of games Honduras has to win in Mexico and we have El Salvador at home. I know this is a lot of what ifs but it's nice to break it down beforehand when were still all hopeful and yet to be defeated!

6 points will only get us third. i think we need 9. El salvador won't be a pushover once their players get off strike. 

If we are debating that Ouimette is a better option then Aird with more experience and since we need to make sure our defensive responsibilities are secured........Are we forgetting hainault?? He has more experienced then both of them combined X5 and is better defensively then both of them .... why not start hainault.... It boggles my mind how we are over looking him

If we are debating that Ouimette is a better option then Aird with more experience and since we need to make sure our defensive responsibilities are secured........Are we forgetting hainault?? He has more experienced then both of them combined X5 and is better defensively then both of them .... why not start hainault.... It boggles my mind how we are over looking him

he's too slow to play on the outside at this point. Ouimette has performed very well twice, no reason not to go with him

he's too slow to play on the outside at this point. Ouimette has performed very well twice, no reason not to go with him

hainault always plays well when he suits up for Canada, and he has the track record to prove it. Ouimette isn't fast, so I hope that isn't the reason he should play over hainault. Hainault actually has more skill in general then Ouimette. I think if the goal is to put out the best 11 then I don't think we can say Ouimette is better then hainault.

While we all expect De Guzman to start for us, I do wonder what the timeframe for Teibert taking over the DM role is.  He's young and playing at such a high level that at some point you'd expect he'd be making that move.

I don't expect it for this game but it should happen over the next 18 months.

I suppose it will coincide with us moving to a more modern 4-2-3-1 instead of what we do now.

While we all expect De Guzman to start for us, I do wonder what the timeframe for Teibert taking over the DM role is.  He's young and playing at such a high level that at some point you'd expect he'd be making that move.

I don't expect it for this game but it should happen over the next 18 months.

I suppose it will coincide with us moving to a more modern 4-2-3-1 instead of what we do now.

So far, when Floro has played Teibert it has been in a more advanced role. To date, Piette seems to be the one being groomed for the pure CDM spot, and in my opinion he has looked quite good in most matches.

hainault always plays well when he suits up for Canada, and he has the track record to prove it. Ouimette isn't fast, so I hope that isn't the reason he should play over hainault. Hainault actually has more skill in general then Ouimette. I think if the goal is to put out the best 11 then I don't think we can say Ouimette is better then hainault.

I don't think there is a great deal of difference when it comes to skill or technical ability between these two players. Maybe you can make a case for Hainault having slightly better technique, and of course much more experience, but Ouimette has more experience playing as a FB under Floro than Hainault does. While neither is gifted offensively, Ouimette does appear to be the more dynamic of the two. When we have the ball, he wants to get involved in the play more, and doesn't shy away from running at defenders (Iceland assist). He does this all while playing within his technical limitations - in other words he keeps it simple back there. I also believe he has the legs to keep up with attackers, and although not particularly fast, I notice he doesn't get beaten too often.

RE points. I think 8 is not enough, 9 does not get us through, unless on tie-breaking criteria, and 10 just might. 11 and we are through almost for sure. But this is anxious and not very mindful.

Best thing is to focus on the immediate present, and just hold on to the next game, only the next game. No past, no future, just the task at hand. As the Master Dogen taught, "When you wash the rice, wash the rice."

Archived