WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's doing the voice over here?

All those segments were filmed awhile back; same plants in the backround as the Straith video from a week ago.

According to Diez.hn  around 3.000 Honduran fans will be in BC Place for the game. It is written that Vancouver city is not too cold and in case of rainning the roof of the stadium will be closed. 

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/899451-99/unos-3-mil-aficionados-hondureños-estarán-el-viernes-en-el-bc-place

3000 fans is actually not too bad; could be worse. That dome better be open during the rain on Friday!

http://www.diez.hn/internacionales/897965-99/conocé-al-jugador-de-más-valor-en-la-selección-de-canadá

Apparently our most valuable player is Milan Borjan at $1.6 million, followed by Hoilett at $4.5 million (LOL).  And once again let's completely ignore arguably the best player in Atiba Hutchinson... how can this country be football mad yet so ignorant?  

Apparently you don't need elementary knowledge to write for Diez... someone gets paid for this?!  

Please let's shut these fools up.

Well Vancouver fans make sure you make a lot of noise and drown these Honduran fans out, make sure they know that this is our home game and the less hospitable you are with them the better, hopefully with all the pro Canada support they will realize they are supporting the wrong team!

Damn, I should know better but on paper Honduras and El Salvador aren't impressive at all.  Compared to the past two Honduras teams they are significantly weaker, heck I'd say they in years past they would be one of the better MLS teams but honestly they look like they would struggle this time around.  

- 3 Mexican second division players

- 3 MLS players (I think Boniek Garcia is a good player honestly)

- 1 Iranian league player, 1 Egyptian league player (both with MLS experience to be fair)

- 13 Central American players (12 in Honduras, 1 Costa Rican)

- 1 top left back in Scotland

This team looks closer to a Guatemalan or El Salvadoran squad from years past than a Honduran team.. so obviously we still need to be careful because those teams have had their results against us too.

It's just that in years past they had players in the top Mexican league, MLS stars and players in Serie A and the EPL.  There's nothing I want more than to bury these guys, we are at home, we are more talented, nationally televised... this is our time.  We really need Hoilett and Hutchinson to grab this game by the balls early and often, win us set pieces and put the damn ball in the net.  Larin has to use his height and strength to hold the ball up for our midfield, he needs to be a bully... I thought he was too timid against Belize.

Fellow Voyageurs,

***The Voyageurs & The Canadian Soccer Association - The Night Before Gathering for all Canadian Supporters***

Thursday, November 12
7:30pm-10:00pm
St. Regis Bar & Grill (608 Dunsmuir Street at Seymour)

Come and connect with Canadian Supporters from all across the country the night before the next round of World Cup Qualifying kicks off!  There will be some prizes given away, some special guests, and the opportunity to work learn/practice a chant/song or two.  Don't miss out!  Jamie has set up a facebookland event page.

Much Love,

Forever A Team

P.S. The pre-game gathering on Friday will be at Doolins starting at 4pm, with the march at 6pm.

We need to win!! I am so pumped for this game. Will be there in spirit. When is the last time we had a convincing win-score and play domination- during a WCQ(excluding first couple rounds)?

We tied Honduras at home 0-0 last cycle while completely outplaying them and dominating them in every way on the field, then we smashed Cuba 3-0 in Toronto last cycle in this round in a very important game! With Akindele Hoilett and Larin all in form we can easily do the same to Honduras . The only way we qualify is if we get 6 points in these first two games. 6 points or bust in Novemeber

We tied Honduras at home 0-0 last cycle while completely outplaying them and dominating them in every way on the field, then we smashed Cuba 3-0 in Toronto last cycle in this round in a very important game! With Akindele Hoilett and Larin all in form we can easily do the same to Honduras . The only way we qualify is if we get 6 points in these first two games. 6 points or bust in Novemeber

Ya we played good vs them Mike but i was talking about a convincing performane AND result lol

I don't think its the end of the world if we get 3 pts at home and 1 pt in el Salvador.

Obviously I want 6 points but I wont be writing off our chances of advancing if we get 4 pts from our first 2 games.

If we get 4 pts then we really need to be hoping Honduras and El Salvador draw at least once in the 2nd set of games. 

When I look at the teams in our group I see Mexico and I work from the assumption the win all 6 games (sorta like black jack where you always assume the dealer has a 10 under the card showing). 

We split the home and away with Honduras and both beat El Salvador at home. Really it comes down to our results on the road in El Salvador to me unless we can somehow get pts vs mex or on the road in Honduras.  

Ya we played good vs them Mike but i was talking about a convincing performane AND result lol

This would be during the 1998 WCQ, the last time we made the Hex.  

We beat Panama 3-1 in Edmonton to start the round, and then twice we beat Cuba 2-0.  We next tied Panama in Panama but beat El Salvador 1-0 at Swangard Stadium and just like that we were through to the Hex.  We also beat El Salvador 2-0 away to close out the round.  

5 huge WCQ victories.  Bunbury and Peschisolido 3 goals each.

I don't think its the end of the world if we get 3 pts at home and 1 pt in el Salvador.

Obviously I want 6 points but I wont be writing off our chances of advancing if we get 4 pts from our first 2 games.

Exactly.  To say "6 points or bust in November" is putting way too much pressure on ourselves.  4 points will be a success, 6 is a dream (definitely doable though).  With the way we played Belize away last round combined with how we played ES in the Gold Cup it's going to be tough to win away to El Salvador, I'm guessing it'll be a 0-0 draw.  

We should be looking to get a draw or even a win vs. Mexico at home too, it's definitely possible.  I can see Honduras getting a result off Mexico at home so we need to be aiming for the same.

So let's say we get: 4 vs. ES, 1 vs. Mex, 3 vs. Honduras = 8 points

Honduras gets: 3 vs. Can, 0 vs. Mex, 4 vs. ES = 7 points

ES gets: 1 vs. Can, 0 vs. Mex, 1 vs. Honduras = 2 points

We need to get something off Mexico and hope they run the table.  OR get a draw in Honduras. 

Basically anytime Mexico is playing outside of March we need to be El Tri supporters.

It would be huge if ES and Honduras draw both matches and we can get a point vs. Mexico.

Archived