WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alfredo Mejia was also left off the roster so looks like the Diez lineup prediction might be spot on.

Mejia was left out because he could not get a Visa to enter Canada.  Ha.

In a press conference today,Pinto also confirmed Honduras is having "difficulties" with Lozano, they are in daily communication with Lozano and his club, he is injured, they will evaluate in 5 days, if he can play he will play.

So far the Hondurans are under manned at a few positions. I'm including players who are still playing and who i believe are better than the current group - even if they are retired from the NT - to highlight how far the Hondurans have fallen in talent:

CB - Victor Bernardez and Osman Chavez are still playing and for whatever reason neither has been called (both may have retired from the NT, i am not sure). That makes Johnny Palacios IMO their #4 CB.

CM - No Espinoza (injury) and no Mejia (visa). Garrido and Acosta would be their #2 and #4 CM's.

RM - Wilson Palacios is out of contract at Stoke and has not signed anywhere. He was sometimes played at CM, but more often at RM. Makes Discua the #2 RM.

LM - Najar was playing at LM at the Gold Cup (was a withdrawn striker in a 4-2-3-1 last summer), making Garcia the #2 LM (Garcia usually plays on the right for Honduras, but has apparently played on the left recently). 

FWD - Costly retired from the NT and has just come back to soccer this week. The guy was a killer whenever he played us. No Lozano (injury) either. Bengston #2 and Castilio #4 or they might play Andino (#5)? Andino would play more withdrawn than Castilio would and give them a 4-2-3-1 look. Could also see Martinez in this role.

So were playing the Honduran league all star team and a guy from Celtic? And apparently nobody wants to play for El Salvador. I'm calling it now 6 points or bust. Let Mexico win out, then Salvador and the Honduran all stars can beat each other out.

So were playing the Honduran league all star team and a guy from Celtic? And apparently nobody wants to play for El Salvador. I'm calling it now 6 points or bust. Let Mexico win out, then Salvador and the Honduran all stars can beat each other out.

this is setting up for a classic canada soccer let down 

With 15,000+ tickets sold more than a week out from the game, will this be our biggest ever WCQ home crowd ever? (honest question, I don't know about non-Vancouver attendances earlier than the past few years. How many were in Edmonton for Australia in '93?)

With the venues of the next games being unkown every city would want to make a good atmosphere in the hopes of hosting future events

With 15,000+ tickets sold more than a week out from the game, will this be our biggest ever WCQ home crowd ever? (honest question, I don't know about non-Vancouver attendances earlier than the past few years. How many were in Edmonton for Australia in '93?)

27,700 Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, Canada v Australia, 31 July 1993

Regardless of who Honduras is missing this game is going to be hard as ever.  Honduras has depth and pride in the shirt, they are still just as talented as us even with their absences hopefully our boys understand this.  Same goes for El Salvador.  

If we overlook either team it's going to be a Canada v El Salvador Gold Cup let down mark my words.

I'm dreading two 0-0 draw and Floro with his usual "We uhh...play...a...very good game against....uhhh a good team...ya"

But I have to be positive. I believe six points are very reachable, if Canada plays for them.

lmao, ya? honestly, I've found myself picking up the "ya" following a sentence...similar to eh.

Massive two stick....Floro's face outlined with  "YA?" across, classic.

To compare, last time we had 16132 against Honduras at BMO Field and 17 712 on a Friday night vs Cuba in October. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

If we sell another 3000 to reach 18 000, I'm satisfied.

Greater Vancouver Area's population on wiki is 2.3M. Closest major Canadian city (sorry Victoria) is Calgary (1.3) at a 10Hr drive and 12 if you're coming from Edmonton (900K). Contrast that with GTA (6M) and Ottawa (900K) is 4Hr away and Montreal (3.8M) 5Hr. If the 15K is correct, Vancouver is less than 2K less than BMO with less than 1/2 the accessible population. I'd say they are either over-sold or BMO was severely under-sold

To compare, last time we had 16132 against Honduras at BMO Field and 17 712 on a Friday night vs Cuba in October. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

If we sell another 3000 to reach 18 000, I'm satisfied.

Greater Vancouver Area's population on wiki is 2.3M. Closest major Canadian city (sorry Victoria) is Calgary (1.3) at a 10Hr drive and 12 if you're coming from Edmonton (900K). Contrast that with GTA (6M) and Ottawa (900K) is 4Hr away and Montreal (3.8M) 5Hr. If the 15K is correct, Vancouver is less than 2K less than BMO with less than 1/2 the accessible population. I'd say they are either over-sold or BMO was severely under-sold

Having been at the two others, I'll believe 15k when I see it for myself, and will be impressed if it is true (and red).

Archived